Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I didn't know people in Wisconsin drank?

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean
    Is it an issue, yes. Should it be resolved re: the DUI situation absolutely.

If the 2nd offense is made a felony, I think it'd be a help.

Drop the occupational licensing after the 2nd offense. 3rd offense means felony jail time and life time revocation of driving. Driving after this revocation, is a 3 strikes and you're out scenario.
    Here 2nd is an aggravated misdemeanor, 2 yr. prison term and 3rd is a felony, 5 yr. prison term. Both generally spend 6 months in an OWI treatment program and then get released on parole. Once a 2nd or 3rd have already gone through the treatment program and get another they go off to prison for minimum 60 days and then have to go through the treatment program again. It becomes somewhat of a revolving door.

Problem with the life time revocation is they WILL still drive. Tough question what to do with them concerning driving privileges. Unless you live in a city with good public transportation it can be hard for them to even hold a job. Maybe people with 3 OWI's have to go 5 yrs. with a clean record, then give them a DL again? Don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43
    Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007
    Drunken drivers in Wisconsin are not charged with a felony until they have been arrested a fifth time.
    Wow!!!
    Just quit a job last month where I had 3 co-workers. One had 5 DUI's, one had 2 DUI's, and the other had just gotten 2 DUI's back in June, within 5 days of each other.

Unbelievable.
    That's crazy!!

Quote Originally Posted by wist43
    Here in Wisconsin, used to be if you got pulled over and were drunk, the cops would just drive you home, and you could go back and get your car in the morning.

I started drinking in the bars when I was 14... nothing to be proud of, just the way it was.
    Me too. Just had to drive 6-7 miles in the country.
    Back at that time the drinking ages were 18 beer bar, 21 booze bar.
    The Bottom Line:
    Formally Numb, same person, same views of M3

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33
    Thanks for caring, NY. Really, we got this one...

How about talking about what else WI does?

Near tops in education, HS graduation rates, etc.
    Near tops in driving (knowledge, passing tests, etc)
    UW - Tops in # of Fortune 500 CEOs (tie with Harvard)
    Research, technology, etc.
    Many cities/towns with 'best places to live' ratings
    We'd be the best state in the union if we could talk Illinois into annexing Milwaukee. How about Gurnee for Milwaukee straight up?
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunakor
    Is there anyone in Wisconsin that doesn't drink?
    Well, Richland Center used to be a dry town...I don't know if it is anymore or not.
    Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another.
    Vince Lombardi

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    I do not see a problem with a parent buying a beer for his kid. Like the guy said kids are going to drink might as well do it with their parents and not sneaking around.

I think the DUI thing is a very touchy issue. I do not think that a persons life should be ruined if they blow a .08 and can still function. I do think that people have different thresholds of how much it takes to get drunk.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar

Re: I didn't know people in Wisconsin drank?

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    When it comes to drinking, it seems, no state keeps pace with Wisconsin.
    We're #1!! We're #1!!
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Reminds me of a song...God bless Jerry Lee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aORzZRXwEsw