Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Skiing/Snowboarding

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland
    Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    My friend has a cabin near big powderhorn in Michigan. Have any of you ever been there? It's kind of expensive to make a weekend of it when you factor in gas, but it might be fun to go check it out.
    I skied there in high school............it's still there? The mountain hasn't like....worn away after all this time?
    Is it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland
    My friend has a cabin near big powderhorn in Michigan. Have any of you ever been there? It's kind of expensive to make a weekend of it when you factor in gas, but it might be fun to go check it out.
    I skied there in high school............it's still there? The mountain hasn't like....worn away after all this time?
    Is it any good?
    It was then.

Hope this doesn't discourage you.

KEYSTONE, Colorado (AP) -- John McWethy, a retired ABC News correspondent who had to flee the Pentagon after the 2001 attacks but continued reporting live, died Wednesday after a skiing accident. He was 61.

John McWethy, right, shares a laugh in 2002 with former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld in Washington.
    1 of 2

Witnesses said McWethy was skiing fast on an intermediate trail when he missed a turn and slid chest-first into a tree, Summit County Coroner Joanne L. Richardson said. McWethy died of blunt force injuries, she said.

Keystone Ski Resort spokeswoman Kate Lessman told The Denver Post that McWethy was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

McWethy and his wife, Laurie Duncan, moved to Boulder after he retired to be closer to ski slopes and golf courses, ABC News President David Westin said in a statement. Before then, McWethy had been ABC News' chief national security correspondent.

Len Ackland of the University of Colorado's Center for Environmental Journalism told The Denver Post that his longtime friend "was a very humble guy."

Ackland told the paper that McWethy "didn't talk about himself much. He was the kind of journalist who didn't want to be out front. It was always about the story, not about him. He was the kind of guy you enjoyed sitting down to have a beer with."

McWethy left behind two sons, Adam, 28, and Ian, 24, according to the Post.

His wife, who was with McWethy at the time of the accident, told the Post her husband was a good skier who enjoyed living in Colorado.

"He loved it here," Duncan told the paper. "I think he loved the beauty of its nature, the open spaces, the wildlife, everything."

On September 11, 2001, McWethy fled the Pentagon after a hijacked airliner crashed into the building, but he kept reporting from a nearby lawn, Westin recalled.

"He was one of those very rare reporters who knew his beat better than anyone, and had developed more sources than anyone, and yet, kept his objectivity," Westin said.

After working as a reporter for U.S. News & World Report, McWethy joined ABC News in 1979 and went on to cover conflicts in Bosnia, Kosovo and Liberia, according to the ABC News Web site.

McWethy was the network's primary reporter assigned to secretaries of state James Baker, George Shultz, Warren Christopher and Lawrence Eagleburger, ABC said, and he had traveled to more than 50 nations, including the Soviet Union and Afghanistan.

McWethy was honored with at least five national Emmy Awards during his time at ABC and also received an Alfred I. duPont-Columbia Award and an Overseas Press Club Award, according to ABC News' Web site.

He was awarded an honorary doctorate by his alma mater, DePauw University, and had a master's degree from Columbia University's journalism school.

McWethy was raised in LaGrange, Illinois, according to The Denver Post, and he graduated from Lyons Township High School in 1965. E-mail to a friend

Geez between him and Sonny, the whole sport's gonna go right down the tubes! RIP John.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

? HOFer
    I think I will try this sport out Saturday at Crystal Ridge. I hear it sucks but I have never done it before so it'll be fun. What do I all need to go snowboarding?

i think i've skied powderhorn before. its not bad. its no colorado hill, but its nice for the midwest

i just went skiing for the first time in about 9 or 10 years this last weekend. it hurt like hell, but i forgot how much fun it is. we went to brule which is a couple hours east of powderhorn.

it was a little icy though

I think I will try this sport out Saturday at Crystal Ridge. I hear it sucks but I have never done it before so it'll be fun. What do I all need to go snowboarding?
    Tailbone protector, health insurance and prayer.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

1st time? I'd suggest wrist guards. And if its icy and your renting equipment at the hill, I'd get skiis instead.

If you are going with the snowboard get a helmet and some padded gear if you can find it......and as SC pointed out wrist guards. Start out small dude...no big hills right off the bat or you could get hurt and discouraged.
    C.H.U.D.

Pic I took from the upperbowl yesterday right before I went down through many feet of deep powder.

To much of a good thing is an awesome thing

Quote Originally Posted by GoPackGo
    Pic I took from the upperbowl yesterday right before I went down through many feet of deep powder.

Very nice. Wonderful light as well.
    C.H.U.D.

The keeweena? peninsula in the UP of Michigan has a few good hills but you need to be experienced to do them. They are back country hills and usually the snow is at least at waist level. They average around 300+ inches of snow there.
    Pass Jessica's Law and keep the predators behind bars for 25 years minimum. Vote out liberal, SP judges. Enforce all immigrant laws!

Wow, great pic GoPack!

Thanks.
    To much of a good thing is an awesome thing

? HOFer
    http://www.whiskeymilitia.com/
    and
    http://www.steepandcheap.com

are doing woot-off style ski and snowboard sales exclusively today. All ski is sandc, snowboards are at whiskeymilitia.

? HOFer
    Well, I messed up my ankle something fierce in the first ten minutes of snowboarding this weekend after a 6 hour drive. Lame.