Thread: Removing Rust

? HOFer

Removing Rust

Does anyone know how to go about removing rust from (what I believe to be) Steel? I am trying to clean up and restore a bike, and I need to remove rust, dirt, grime and grease from just about everything but the actual frame.

i think i remember watching on mythbusters that Coke takes away rust

if its just steel you can probably take a wire brush and some steel wool to it

i think

Re: Removing Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    Does anyone know how to go about removing rust from (what I believe to be) Steel? I am trying to clean up and restore a bike, and I need to remove rust, dirt, grime and grease from just about everything but the actual frame.
    This so depends on if it's chrom or plain steel.

If it's chrom, you will need to take the part, remove the rust and have it re-chromed. Use normal rust remover from your hardware store.

If it's steel, just sand it off with wet & dry soaked in vegetable oil.

There's always naval jelly, but you can't use that on chrome.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

? HOFer
    Hmmm, i'm not too sure if its chrome or just plain ol' steel. Is there any easy way to tell?

Is it painted or is it really shiny metal?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

? HOFer
    well, i can't really tell since it's very dirty and rusty. I am guessing sadly that it is crome, which is very unfortunate since I would rather not have them rechromed.

How does one clean chrome?

One polishes chrome. Chrome is a metal thingy that is used as a finish for other materials. One chromes plastic. One chromes steel. Chrome is that dazzling mirror-like finish that one once saw on car bumpers and what not. I am old enough to remember this.

One can aslo buy chrome spray on from the hardware store, but, don't bother using that as a touch up.

You will need to re-chrome the entire piece which means sending it off.

? HOFer

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    How does one clean chrome?
    Just get yourself some 0 or 00 steel wool and buff away. If it's chrome (which i suspect it is), you'll get it shiny as hell with that. That is unless the chrome is pitted and/or flaking off, then it's either replace or re chrome
    The Bottom Line:
    Formally Numb, same person, same views of M3