Quote Originally Posted by HowardRoark
Johnny “Blood” McNally:

Hello, Mr. Remmel. Your recollections and analysis are wonderful. There have been a lot of stories written about Johnny Blood McNally. I was wondering if you ever met him, what your impressions were, and how he ranked as a player. Thank you. - Dave (Des Moines, IA)

I did have the privilege, as a sportswriter/columnist for the Green Bay Press-Gazette (1944-74), of meeting and interviewing the fabled Johnny "Blood" McNally, who probably was the most daring and colorful player (on and off the field) in Packers history. For example, at one point during Johnny's playing career, Coach Curly Lambeau - concerned because McNally was inclined to break curfew and sneak out on the town, allegedly locked him in his hotel room the night before a game against the Bears in Chicago. Johnny, however, being a highly resourceful citizen, reportedly tied some bed sheets together, lowered himself out of his hotel window to the ground and proceeded to get out "among them."

Contrary to popular perception, I never saw him play. But, from all reports of his former teammates, such as fellow Hall of Famer Mike Michalske, he was a great athlete, a description which is supported by the fact that he was a charter selection to the Pro Football Hall of Fame when it opened in 1963. He reportedly was a gifted runner and receiver.

Johnny also, apparently, was highly intelligent. Some years after retiring from professional football, he became a member of the faculty at his alma mater, St. John's University in Collegeville, Minn., and also authored a book dealing with philosophy.