Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: James Jones!

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Jordy gets one more year in my book to prove he can hold onto the ball since he's a year younger and doesn't speak about himself in the third person. You can't get rid of both of them in the same year anyway. That'd be too many rooks at once.
    IMO, it is a horse-a-piece. Play either of them full-time and they are at least as productive as the old man Driver has been the past two years. It is possible that their drop % would go down with more consistent playing time.

Jones doesn't get credited with a drop on the plays that he completely gives up on the ball. Jones is who we thought he was. He's a good #3. Decent #2. Never going to be elite. Again, I think Jones will go elsewhere and disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    IMO, many people's problem with JJ isn't the pure number of drops, but the head scratching nature of them. Too many of his drops (and fumbles) look like all he needed to do was make any kind of an effort. Is it too much to ask that he extend his arms fully? I might have a heart attack if he ever dove for a ball. Despite his size he consistently looks like he is unwilling to fight for the ball. That includes deciding not to finish his routes because a DB half his size is in his way.
    Maybe he's just a really polite guy...
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Jones doesn't get credited with a drop on the plays that he completely gives up on the ball. Jones is who we thought he was. He's a good #3. Decent #2. Never going to be elite. Again, I think Jones will go elsewhere and disappoint.
    I hope we keep him and I think he's better than you give him credit. He's a 1,000 yd/season talent. Low end number 1, top tier #2. Somewhere between the 20th and 40th best WR in the game.

I completely agree that JJ could/should be more consistent, but for every JJ bashing thread there should be one for Nelson and one for Driver. I honestly believe Driver lost us 1-2 games with all his drops this year. Remember the redskins game when he dropped that 30-40 yard pass that was right on point on the 10 yard line? We got no points that drive and lost later in OT. Could that catch have been the difference? Or how about the drop against the Pats on the 10 yard line. Maybe we score 7 instead of 3 there? Should I remind everyone of Drivers fumble on the second drive against the Cards in the PLAYOFFS last year. That might have been the difference in that game as well. And now we are talking playoffs when making plays matters the most. I wouldn’t even hesitant if I had to choose between Driver and Jones at this point in their careers.

Or how about Nelsons back to back fumbles against the Lions? He surely did his best to try and lose us that game. And I'm sure everyone remembers his fumble in the redzone this past week. So everyone gives Nelson a pass on his fumbles b/c we won those games and Jones doesn't b/c when he fumbles we lose those games? I don’t get it. And this past week JJ had two drops. One he made up for on the very next play on 3rd and 10. The other people underestimate the difficulty in the catch. They showed the replay on TV in slow motion and I believe the defenders arm shielded him from seeing the ball until the last second. Not making excuses for him b/c I was yelling at the TV just like everyone else.

Now if we want to switch from negative plays and talk about plays made by JJ, Nelson, and Driver this year I’m sure we will agree that JJ has made more and his yards and TDs prove that.

JJ is a solid #2 next to Jennings. When Finely comes back that will be an awesome set of Wrs to throw to. We are an offensive line anyway from having a completely explosive offensive.
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

It's not just the drops with Jones. It's all of the plays where he gives up on a throw or runs a bad route or doesn't come back to the ball and lets the defender intercept the ball or knock it down. It's the flashes of brilliance mixed in with the drops, the fumbles, the plays that he half asses or stops his route, the wrong routes. Those don't show up in stats. Dude thinks he's better than he is. He could actually be pretty good if he was more consistent, but after four years in the NFL I've given up on him becoming consistent. Plus, the dude is put in a better situation than any receiver on the team. He gets a lot of plays in 3 & 4 wide sets matched up one-on-one against a safety or third corner. Jennings gets more attention. Driver gets the slot--which is a tough place to make a living. Nelson doesn't get in on as many 3 wide sets. He either gets in on 4 & 5 wide sets or on run plays where he's the only receiver (or one of two receivers) because of his blocking.

Jones does get a bit of a bad rap. It seems like his bad plays stick in people's minds much more than others, mine included. Not sure why exactly, maybe because they do see flashes from him and expect more?

I think he's a very good 3 WR and would be a decent 2. I don't really trust his hands. Even on a lot of his catches he bobbles the ball.

And there is no comparison between Jones and Fergy. Jones has made 10x the plays.
    Go PACK

I think it is only natural to be pissed when someone looks like they could have made a play but didn't because the effort was lacking. Even with this truly annoying quality, I don't disagree that JJ may be the better WR. That doesn't mean I can't still be pissed at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Jones does get a bit of a bad rap. It seems like his bad plays stick in people's minds much more than others, mine included. Not sure why exactly, maybe because they do see flashes from him and expect more?

I think he's a very good 3 WR and would be a decent 2. I don't really trust his hands. Even on a lot of his catches he bobbles the ball.

And there is no comparison between Jones and Fergy. Jones has made 10x the plays.
    I think this is the key. Jones has plays and games that flash complete brilliance and #1 talent. Then he goes and does something inexcusable like quitting on a route, dropping an easy ball, or not fighting for a catch, thus proving he isn't a #1 talent. Whereas Jordy hasn't shown the same brilliance, people don't expect as much and are more okay if it doesn't show up. And Driver's been getting a pass because he's been so good for so long.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam! View Post
    I think you're sticking your head in the sand, mate. Black DBs are homo sapiens, too, and they are just as inclined to form predjudices as Asians, causasians etc etc etc. I'll again point out that this is a biological mechanism. Humans demonstrate primal behaviour frequently, and one such instinct is tribal behaviour. I've spent enough time on psychiast couches to know a lot about primal instincts and how humans tick. Thinking in tribal terms simply is a reaction based on millenia of experience. And by the way, the black DB isn't necessarily consciously saying to himself "this guy is white so I'll just go half ass on this play because he's slow", but there's a heck of a good chance his sub-conscious is saying just that.
    No offense but your not black nor a NFL player. This is more than a game to these players, its their job. They can't afford to take a play off based on their opponents skin color. These guys watch game film all week long so they know exactly what they are in for. Now what you just wrote might be true in the real world but when it comes to professional sports you can throw all that out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I hope we keep him and I think he's better than you give him credit. He's a 1,000 yd/season talent. Low end number 1, top tier #2. Somewhere between the 20th and 40th best WR in the game.
    No way is he anywhere near #1 WR, hes a decent #2 at best. Hes in a pass heavy offense and most of the time has the opponents 3rd or 4th CB covering him. I say let him leave at the end of the season and let Jordy step into the #3 role. With Finley coming back next year we'll just line him up in WR sets anyway. I also wouldnt mind us drafting a speed WR in the middle rounds of the draft who also has return ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    No way is he anywhere near #1 WR, hes a decent #2 at best. Hes in a pass heavy offense and most of the time has the opponents 3rd or 4th CB covering him. I say let him leave at the end of the season and let Jordy step into the #3 role. With Finley coming back next year we'll just line him up in WR sets anyway. I also wouldnt mind up drafting a speed WR in the middle rounds of the draft who also has return ability.
    Didn't TT try that with a 4th round WR a couple years back? Was it Cory Rodgers or something like that? Became the highest drafted player that year to not make his team...

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    No way is he anywhere near #1 WR, hes a decent #2 at best. Hes in a pass heavy offense and most of the time has the opponents 3rd or 4th CB covering him. I say let him leave at the end of the season and let Jordy step into the #3 role. With Finley coming back next year we'll just line him up in WR sets anyway. I also wouldnt mind up drafting a speed WR in the middle rounds of the draft who also has return ability.
    I wanted Jacoby Ford last year. Maybe TT looks for that kind of guy this year.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Didn't TT try that with a 4th round WR a couple years back? Was it Cory Rodgers or something like that? Became the highest drafted player that year to not make his team...
    Yea but Cory Rodgers wasnt a speed guy, I believe he ran like a low 4.5 40 time but showed good ability on kick returns. Too bad he couldnt hold on to the damn ball once he got into the NFL.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Jones isn't a bad player, but dude does not have Pro Bowl potential. And he ain't that much better than Nelson. I think both guys benefit greatly from getting favorable matchups--with Jennings, Driver, and Finley (previously) on the team. (Not to mention an All Pro caliber QB.) They almost always get a safety or a team's third best corner on them. They rarely get doubled. Jones flashes big play ability, but he's too inconsistent (and it ain't changing) and he's slow. Nelson isn't very sudden and he's too inconsistent (but not as inconsistent as Jones). Personally, I think they are a horse a piece. Both are good #3 receivers, and I think both would be okay (not great) as #2 receivers. Neither has #1 or Pro Bowl potential. I'm guessing that Jones goes elsewhere, and unless he gets in a favorable situation (e.g. New England or Indianapolis), he'll disappoint his new team.
    ditto
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Seems like what the argument comes down to is JJ a great, good or ok #2 WR. He is not a true #1. He is a good #2 when focused. He is a great #3 but wont be willing to settle for that cash. He can and does bring more to the table then JN so that is why I expect more from him. Plus he is from Cali so I want him to stick. He is also a real cool guy the one time I talked with him.

In other words he is gone regardless unless he has a sick playoffs like Fitzgerald did in '08. TT would have to show him some love. No not that kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I was very disappointed in Jones today - he dropped two, one being a potential game-clincher. Instead, Jones clenched his sphincter.

When his contract comes up, let him go.
    I'm still pissed at him for fumbling in that first Bear game in week 3!! If Mr. Butterfingers had carried the damn ball in his outside arm we win that freaking game. Didn't he fumble against the bares last season too?? :-[

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    If TT really liked Jones, wouldn't he have resigned him already? That's TT's pattern, isn't it?

Regarding Jones' play, I think those turtleneck shirts he's wearing are cutting off the blood supply to his brain. Maybe with a normal shirt and circulation, he might think more clearly and run better routes, catch more balls, and hang on the damn rock when the game is on the line.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    In other words he is gone regardless unless he has a sick playoffs like Fitzgerald did in '08.
    really going out on a limb there, aren'tcha?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    James Jones is a playmaker
    Too bad he makes just as many plays for the other team. But I guess if that's what makes a "playmaker" in your book, then he's a PLAYMAKER!!!
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial