Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: McCarthy and "Close Games"

This will be a great test of MM's game planning abilities. I believe his offensive line is not very good compared to the Bears' defensive line, and MM is going to have to figure out how to work around that problem.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    This will be a great test of MM's game planning abilities. I believe his offensive line is not very good compared to the Bears' defensive line, and MM is going to have to figure out how to work around that problem.
    Not to be a smartass, but won't he do that the same way as he did two weeks ago? I'm just sayin'
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Oh yea, I'm going there.

Fucking MM can't win ONE SINGLE close game in the playoffs. Fucker is likely to win the superbowl by 25 points just to prove he is incompetent.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Oh yea, I'm going there.

Fucking MM can't win ONE SINGLE close game in the playoffs. Fucker is likely to win the superbowl by 25 points just to prove he is incompetent.
    Why? McCarthy once again failed to win a close game. (Remember that a close game is arbitrarily defined as a game won by 4 points or fewer.)
    Last edited by HarveyWallbangers; 01-24-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Oh yea, I'm going there.

Not sure what you're really saying but I add this: Packers, collectively, made it a close game versus Bears yesterday and nearly lost a sure win by fucking their own minds up. Almost happened in Philly twice this season as did the the totally pounding of Patriots and that game was lost. This worries the objective fan!
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

I think the Pack made the game close yesterday by playing very vanilla all the way around the 2nd half! I think the ultra conservative approach was by design, as they didn't want to get beat by def. or ST play and didn't believe a 3rd stringer could beat them. The Bears just have a knack for muddling up games and it happened again. This is just their style and it works for them. Seems like they aren't doing a damn thing, an wala, there they are driving for a winning or tieing score. It all worked out in the end, but they sure made it alot scarier than it had to be!

Quote Originally Posted by LEWCWA View Post
    I think the Pack made the game close yesterday by playing very vanilla all the way around the 2nd half! I think the ultra conservative approach was by design, as they didn't want to get beat by def. or ST play and didn't believe a 3rd stringer could beat them. The Bears just have a knack for muddling up games and it happened again. This is just their style and it works for them. Seems like they aren't doing a damn thing, an wala, there they are driving for a winning or tieing score. It all worked out in the end, but they sure made it alot scarier than it had to be!
    You're missing something very important. A game can only be close if the final margin is 4 or fewer points? A 5-point victory, like the one over the Eagles, is not a close game... nobody with the Packers can take any credit for that.
    </delurk>

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    Not sure what you're really saying but I add this: Packers, collectively, made it a close game versus Bears yesterday and nearly lost a sure win by fucking their own minds up. Almost happened in Philly twice this season as did the the totally pounding of Patriots and that game was lost. This worries the objective fan!
    Maybe fans expect too much. It's hard to put a team away, especially in the playoffs. The Steelers had a 21 point lead at halftime, at home, and were hanging on for dear life at the end.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Maybe fans expect too much. It's hard to put a team away, especially in the playoffs. The Steelers had a 21 point lead at halftime, at home, and were hanging on for dear life at the end.
    Good point!
    Yet what I saw in the Falcons game part 1 versus the Falcons game part 2...I'd want to take the latter approach for the pedigree of my team. But you can coach either way. What do you prefer?

Good point!
    Yet what I saw in the Falcons game part 1 versus the Falcons game part 2...I'd want to take the latter approach for the pedigree of my team. But you can coach either way. What do you prefer?
    They blew a couple of good shots in Bears territory with one freak INT and one bad decision by Rodgers. Either one of those and the Packers would have gone up 3 scores. Also, they took one killshot down the sideline (when Rodgers got his lip blown up). I don't think the game was called much differently once they were up and Mac said that he was trying to get up 3 scores, they just hit everything in the Falcons game where they didn't in the Bears game.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    They blew a couple of good shots in Bears territory with one freak INT and one bad decision by Rodgers. Either one of those and the Packers would have gone up 3 scores. Also, they took one killshot down the sideline (when Rodgers got his lip blown up). I don't think the game was called much differently once they were up and Mac said that he was trying to get up 3 scores, they just hit everything in the Falcons game where they didn't in the Bears game.
    Yup, I think we agree. These days are not for nitpicking.

Packers NFC Champions 2010 - it feels great writing & won't ever get old.

Packers soon to be NFL Champs again!

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Sometimes, the greatest problem with the Packers offense is the ease with which they do things. Score twice early in the game? Well, that should happen for the rest of the game, regardless of the opponent. And if it doesn't, critics blame nothing concrete, just choking, tightness, lack of killer instinct, conservative, fluoride in the water, etc. Its the other side of the same coin that Bear fans were probably decrying after being down by 14 points: "Lovie just doesn't know how to get his team fired up and start fast...."

The Packer O was unconscious for three drives and one bad bounce off Driver in traffic cost them a shot at a three score lead.

After that, a bad decision for an INT, a couple of penalties, a serious shot to the head of a previously concussed player, a couple bad runs and one very poor decision to run out of bounds turns off the offensive spigot and gives the Bears a chance to recover.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Sometimes, the greatest problem with the Packers offense is the ease with which they do things. Score twice early in the game? Well, that should happen for the rest of the game, regardless of the opponent. And if it doesn't, critics blame nothing concrete, just choking, tightness, lack of killer instinct, conservative, fluoride in the water, etc. Its the other side of the same coin that Bear fans were probably decrying after being down by 14 points: "Lovie just doesn't know how to get his team fired up and start fast...."

The Packer O was unconscious for three drives and one bad bounce off Driver in traffic cost them a shot at a three score lead.

After that, a bad decision for an INT, a couple of penalties, a serious shot to the head of a previously concussed player, a couple bad runs and one very poor decision to run out of bounds turns off the offensive spigot and gives the Bears a chance to recover.
    People forget that, as the saying goes, the guys on the other side get paid to play, too. Sometimes they make the play, not your team. How many times have we seen Urlacher make interceptions like the one he made yesterday? He does it time and time again. I was reminded of a comment I read that someone made about Urlacher, that it is extremely difficult to get passes over him because he is a lot taller than he looks, has long arms, jumps very well for a beat-up old linebacker and has exceptional close area quickness with both his feet and his hands. You think you are throwing over or just past him, but he gets to it.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

Plus, that's about as much of a blowout as you can expect between the Bears and Packers...
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Plus, that's about as much of a blowout as you can expect between the Bears and Packers...
    LOL - I guess

I think I'll put the 2008 blowout game dvd on tonight : Packers 37- Bears 3

LOL - I guess

I think I'll put the 2008 blowout game dvd on tonight : Packers 37- Bears 3
    Okay. So that's almost as big of a blowout as you can expect.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by rbaloha View Post
    The apologists continue. Even without the injuries MM screws up.

And who's sorry now?

Voice of sanity for Packer fans denying reality.

Oh really?

Rant as you want. At the end of the day, MM's record in close and meaningful games is horrible -- zero disputing. MM is good at developing (i.e. Brooks and Rodgers) or enhancing careers (i.e. Gannon, Delhomme and Favre) qbs. MM has proven HE CAN NOT WIN CHAMPIONSHIP(S) IN TITLETOWN, USA.

Keep up the truthiness and see where it leads you.

Just an NFC Championship so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    CANNOT and HAS not are two entirely different concepts. You're setting yourself up to look like a complete idiot if he does...I need to start bookmarking some of these threads...

You're welcome.