Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: 2011 Hunting Thread

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    3 Deer in 2 days. wow, they must be as thick where you hunt! I only saw 7 deer in the week that I was at camp. the doe I shot was from a group of 3 that were on my bait pile. the buck was from another group of 3 as he was chasing two doe when he decided to turn and walk toward my stand.

I miss hunting this year. Last week I drove home and saw 2 moose, about 15 deer and a coyote. That is in 6 miles.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Whiskey View Post
    3 Deer in 2 days. wow, they must be as thick where you hunt! I only saw 7 deer in the week that I was at camp. the doe I shot was from a group of 3 that were on my bait pile. the buck was from another group of 3 as he was chasing two doe when he decided to turn and walk toward my stand.
    In two days I saw 8 deer. Two of them were small bucks. We have a very good deer population in the CWD zone, so I have unlimited tags. I shot both doe when they were running in the same group in some thick briars and trash trees. I didn't think I got any of them but When I went into the area that I shot at them to check for blood I didn't see any blood, only a doe looking at me, she took off when I brought my rifle up. I let her die before going back to look for her and then tracking her we found another dead doe, so I hit both of them. They were far from clean kills both shots too far back on the body, I don't like messy kills, but oh well. One of the does was like 5.5 years old and was the biggest doe I had ever seen much bigger than the 1.5 year old buck that I shot. I dragged the buck down the road by myself before I even gutted it, I had to have a buddy help me drag the doe out of the woods. The other doe was maybe a 1.5 year old, small maybe 70 pounds gutted.

Gut shots are no fun!

Doe tags are done via a lottery in the county that we hunt. 1000 tags were available with 1040 applicants. one guy from our group didn't get a doe tag.

both shots were pretty well placed. Both took out the heart. Both dropped where they stood. the Doe kicked a bit more than the buck, but I also took out the back of her shoulder. Someone else had shot at the buck. he had a bullet wound on the front of his chest that cut thru the hide but didn't hit any muscle. When we cut that deer up he some yellow shit on that shoulder under the skin. needless to say I threw alot of that dude to the coyotes.

I destroyed the front shoulder on the buck I shot. I blew away the lungs, but the heart remained completely intact. In fact I ripped it out of the chest cavity and rolled it to my father.

On the buck that I shot, as the bullet passed thru the deer it sucked part of the lungs into the exit wound!

Do you butcher your own deer or do you take them to a processor?

I got a 6 point with my bow. I wasn't for sure if I had hit him because he acted fine. I went and retrieved my arrow and it looked like mud on it, but after further examination...it was stomach contents. It was getting dark and I didn't want to push a gut shot deer so I went back the next morning. I tracked him 100 yards from where I shot him.

I butcher all my game....moose, caribou, black tail...it matters not. I do take some to a local butcher and have hot dogs made though. I have ground a fucking shitload of moose meat over the years.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    I butcher all my game....moose, caribou, black tail...it matters not. I do take some to a local butcher and have hot dogs made though. I have blew a fucking shitload of moose meat over the years.
    Fixed, ol' buddy. Happy Thanksgiving, you moose dick sucker you!

"Blown"

No I don't butcher anything.