Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Survivalist Emergency Backpack Recommendations

PEMICAN! A way back machine might be helpful.
    C.H.U.D.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Question - Will the best way to survive be to find a place to stay long term or is staying on the move key? I just feel that if you stay put eventually some fucks are gonna want what you have. Being familiar with an area and being all around it might be a good strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Question - Will the best way to survive be to find a place to stay long term or is staying on the move key? I just feel that if you stay put eventually some fucks are gonna want what you have. Being familiar with an area and being all around it might be a good strategy.
    I believe you need to be prepared for both. Obviously the longer you can stay in your own home with the protection and shelter it provides, the better. You can store massive quantities of food, ammunition, and water very easily. But, depending on where you live, your social order might break down faster or slower. This is where you're supposed to know your neighbors. If they're the type to loot you, you might want to get on the move. If they're the type that can be looted, or trusted to protect your back yard, then stay put.

But, if stuff gets really really bad, eventually you'll have to set out for somewhere safer, or somewhere more sustainable as far as resources go. Ideally, it would be after you've exhausted your home base resources, but then again, you might not have the luxury. So, be prepared for both. Forrest suggests burying a bunch of stuff somewhere safe, like a nearby state park, so you won't have to carry it when people are raping and murdering each other.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

If this is really a concern buy an acerage at least 1/2 hour from an urban center. Buy some rabbits. Let yoir grass grow long and cut it with a sickle so you can stook it so it dries. Have a big garden and learn to can. Get a wood burning stove and have access to lots of trees, or have lots of coal. When poop hits the fan learn to love rabbit. Oh yeah build an outhouse but use it to store your garden tools so your neighbors think its cute. Up til when you have no power to pump out the septic then it isn't cute but handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    During WWII in Germany, my dad traded a carton of cigarettes for an accordion. Just sayin'...
    That was a good deal. My dad only got to rent the organ of some girl named Schatzie for his carton of cigs.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    That was a good deal. My dad only got to rent the organ of some girl named Schatzie for his carton of cigs.
    Fantastic post.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Travelling exposes you to too much risk, IMO.

Get a good homebase in the foothills. Good water source, you can grow stuff, raise food animals and raid into the lowlands as needed.

Knowing the lay of the land will play in your favor, tactically, when you have to deal with bandits.

Have your fighting positions and secondary fighting positions ready. Have your back-door planned. Retreat and counter-attack. They won't know what hit them.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    I am also rebuilding my 98 Ford Windstar into a Machine of Death to get me to the compound. Fuck backpacks when you have a Windstar.
    Mumbus lovers unite!

One of the reasons I love my Toyota Sienna is the sliding doors on either side. If need be, I can engage a threat on either flank.

So how are you modding the Windstar?

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Steel, lots of harden steel. Beside I will have bugged out before people even know what the hell is going on.