Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gutters

kevin the chicken

sounds like a reputable tiler

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Or you can get a gutter cleaning robot.

http://store.irobot.com/category/ind...goryId=3334470
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Or you can get a gutter cleaning robot.

http://store.irobot.com/category/ind...goryId=3334470
    I have one of those! The first model that came out from iRobot. One of my techy kids bought it for me for Christmas a while back. It worked "OK" if conditions were dry, but not very well if the material in the gutter was wet, with matted maple seeds for example. Sticks or twigs could cause problems, too. The biggest issue I had was that it would get caught under some of the nail and tube hangers used for installing the gutters. If the gutters are not straight, as old ones that have supported heavy snow and ice for years and years often aren't, one of the tracks would sometimes climb the gutter wall and it would flip on its side. Occasionally it would get hung up on the roof edge flashing that extends into the gutter, the track on that side would get wedged between the bottom edge of the flashing and the bottom of the gutter.

When it worked, it was really pretty neat; but it was frustrating when it didn't. I tried to make it work for several years, even repositioned some of the hangers, but in the end I quit using it. With my gutter covers it now sits in my shop collecting dust. Maybe the new model is better.

Incidentally, we (my kids included) are a big iRobot family. We have Roombas and Scoobas. The Scooba works great in our kitchen scrubbing the floor.
    Last edited by Patler; 02-28-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Why didnt you find some border brothers to do it? Shit you could have gave ziggys email to one.
    The border brothers here only do roofing and work at the Mexican restaurants we have.....from what I see. I must say the crew that worked on my sister's roof last fall were some cuties! I had to visit her a few times that week. It's weird though because you never see them out and about.....restaurants, bars, mall. Either they stay very secluded or they just work all the time. ?

New gutters (without screens for now...maybe later) and new sump pump installed!! I finally feel safe putting new carpet in my basement! That storm and flooding last summer has put a fear in me. That was VERY costly.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Get your mind out of the gutters
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    You know it's bad when you've had so much on your mind lately that it hasn't been in the gutter!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    What the hell kind of fun would that be?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    I don't need my gutters done thanks, but I am wondering whatever happened to the Costa Rican named Pollo (I know what it means--yet when I asked him who to write the check out to, he said Kevin???) who tiled my kitchen. The shower needs redoing.
    I was talking about them cleaning out your guts not gutters.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    I was talking about them cleaning out your guts not gutters.
    No, I'm not due for a colonoscopy for another few years, but thanks for thinking about my good health like that.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings