Thread: Shea McClellin

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Odds are, the OLB will be the better player at this point in the draft. I know everyone talks about how much DE's don't matter in this defense, but boy, I tend to disagree with that. Maybe on 3rd down they're not as big of a deal, but on 1st and 2nd. . . . star DL get you to 3rd and long. Star OLB's finish it off. And it's not like star DL can't get after the passer too, especially on 3rd down when they can pin their ears back and shoot a gap.

To me, a great OLB makes splash plays throughout a game. A star DL consistently disrupts the offense. Star DL are so rare. You have to take them first. Problem is, everyone else probably already did. It's a rule in the NFL, you take the big guys when you can. I don't care what defense you play, if you have a monster on your DL, whether it be nose, 3-tech, 5 tech or 6/7. . . it means more than an OLB.

Put Suh as our DE and I'll bet we're better off than plugging a star OLB into our defense.

The great ones hold their gap responsibility and once they read pass, they can shove the OL straight back into the QB's lap or shed the block and make a play. The great ones are just more man than the guy across from them. On 1st down, the DL mean more. On 2nd down, the DL mean more, and on 3rd down, if that same DL can get after it, he can mean just as much as the OLB.

DL play seems greatly underappreciated here IM humble O. It's like every down is 3rd down in our minds and every DL is incapable of destroying a QB on 3rd down.
    Last edited by RashanGary; 04-14-2012 at 12:06 AM.