Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
pbmax...based on what you see in this video does Vontaze Burfict look like a terrible choice as an ILB prospect? I'm not putting you on 'the spot here'. I'm just interested in what your analysis is of him overall in this game?
I have a history of being completely incorrect in trying to judge who will be able to make the leap to the pros. So take this with a grain of salt.

Play after play he is slow to get out of his stance (slower than other backers) and then waltzes into his gap. He does engage blockers, but only long enough to see where the RB is going. If the running back heads to a different gap, he stops and walks around. I did not see enough coverage to make any kind of guess. A middle linebacker who offers no assistance or pursuit is pretty useless. I don't remember enough about the game to know whether this tape is sequential or a lowlights package.

In terms more familiar to me, he looks like the kid who declares that he will be the free safety when you play a game of pickup football. 5 on 5 or 7 on 7, this guy decides he wants to free lance and leave a player uncovered. He is uninterested in actually playing to help the team win, he wants to deliver a kill shot somewhere, headed downhill, and is putting that agenda ahead of the team.

I have seen this kid twice, so nothing here can be taken as authoritative. But the terms uninterested and selfish do come to mind.