Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this right? Michael HUNT "It's difficult to see Driver playing another snap in green and gold."

I do NOT want to see this:

2011-12 Detroit Lions Depth Chart;

http://www.detroitlions.com/team/depth-chart.html

Where you see either of the names Nate Burleson or Titus Young. Substitute the name:

Donald Driver >>> UPGRADE for 'the Detroit LIONS' !

Come on Ted Thompson. Donald Driver and one more season.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I do NOT want to see this:

2011-12 Detroit Lions Depth Chart;

http://www.detroitlions.com/team/depth-chart.html

Where you see either of the names Nate Burleson or Titus Young. Substitute the name:

Donald Driver >>> UPGRADE for 'the Detroit LIONS' !

Come on Ted Thompson. Donald Driver and one more season.
    Since Matt Millen is no longer running that team, there is no way on God's green earth you will see "Driver" instead of "Young," unless Young gets hurt.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Since Matt Millen is no longer running that team, there is no way on God's green earth you will see "Driver" instead of "Young," unless Young gets hurt.
    I don't want to see it Fritz.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Woody, why are you so set that Driver is going to the Lions or some other NFC North team should the Packers release him?
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Woody, why are you so set that Driver is going to the Lions or some other NFC North team should the Packers release him?
    I'm not 'set on' anything. 'In fact' I hope and trust that TT will not release him this season.

If he's released and he doesn't want to retire he could end up with any NFL team. Including any NFCN team if that team see's an upgrade by acquiring him.

"Strictly fundamentle Watson." SH

I want Donald Driver to retire a Green Bay Packer; play his entire career in the NFL as a Green Bay Packer.

History often repeat itself... as lessons go unlearned.

GO PACKERS !

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    I want Donald Driver to retire a Green Bay Packer; play his entire career in the NFL as a Green Bay Packer.

History often repeat itself... as lessons go unlearned.

GO PACKERS !
    I understand the first sentence. Everyone wants their Packer hero to be a Packer for life. (Of course this rarely if every happens any more with free agency.)

What is the 2nd sentence about? Are you talking about BF? Becasue if you were, the DD and BF scenarios are about as polar opposite as you can have.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Guess Im the only one who has faith in the old man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeefers View Post
    I'm with ya Brandon. Reasons have already been given in previous threads.
    me too. that catch he made late in the game against ??, on his tip toes, at the sideline, for a td, says he's still got it. one more year please.

I don't want to see it Fritz.
    You won't; at least not Driver in exchange for Titus Young. Young is a, well, young and talented receiver. They're not going to dump him for Driver. However, that's not to say they wont' try to sign Driver as their #3 guy if they think he's an upgrade over Burleson, or if someone gets hurt.

If Donald is released, I can see teams like the Jest or the Phins making a pitch.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I don't think Ted knows what he's going to do yet, but Driver's still on the roster for a reason. They want to see what they've got and that's what camp is for. Driver will take a pay cut like Grant did last year and then he has to compete for a spot for the first time in a long time. He's going to be tough to cut. The young guys have been here long enough that they're going to have to outplay him to win a spot. It's definitely going to be a good reason to watch the 2nd half of the preseaon games.

Hard to see us keeping six WRs. Unless Gurley is a punt blocking machine or Borel wins the KR job. TT always overloads a position, but six wide outs are a lot to dress on game day.

I can't get too worked up about another team signing our cuts. That's life. It seems like we've got 7 WRs that are going to make someone's 53, can't keep 'em all. Someone's probably going to sign a LB or two of ours too. That just shows we're stocking talent. We traded Lorenzo out of the division because the Vikes needed a QB to make a title run. There's no team out there thinking "if we can just add a number 3 wide receiver we're in it this year"

DD is a Packer for life just like Jerry Rice is a 9er for life. It's all good.

I can't get too obsessed about other teams grabbing guys we cut.

Senior Rat HOFer
    Ohh Boy.

mmmm whats that I see!?

Ohh ! Donald Drive taking pass's from Matthew Stafford. Donald Driver distracting attention away from Calvin Johnson. The Detroit Lions getting past the Green Bay Packers. How did that come to be? Never saw that coming.

What's Ted Thompson going to do?

Well he offered ** $20 Million$ for one former Packer to stand down. Maybe he went to school on that one??

Maybe he will offer 20% of that **; for DD 'to stand up'.... for.... one.... fricken ....more .... season !?

Come On Ted Thompson....think.
    You do know that the $20 million offered to that former Packer wasn't tied to the salary cap, and that the former Packer in question wouldn't be taking up a roster spot. You understand this, right? The two scenarios are not at all similar. Thompson could offer Driver all $20 million earmarked for that former Packer, but if he did, Driver wouldn't be allowed to play a single snap in a Packer jersey in 2012.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I understand the first sentence. Everyone wants their Packer hero to be a Packer for life. (Of course this rarely if every happens any more with free agency.)

What is the 2nd sentence about? Are you talking about BF? Becasue if you were, the DD and BF scenarios are about as polar opposite as you can have.
    Excuse me bud but I'm not getting sucked into any discussion about a former Packer and NFL player (retired) and anything Donald Driver. This Forum goes ballistic simply seeing that former packer's name. Many here have not come to terms with him maturely.

There 'in fact' is a similarity that has to do with 'the word loyalty'. That word and any players association with an NFL team is moot today; as neither the NFL player nor the powers to be in that teams organizational chart. Muster to that word. It's all about what can you do for me now...today. Loyalty is gone for much of Pro Sports.

The Packer organization was intent on trying to force that other player to retire.That has to be agreed as obvious and the figure $20 million$ will remind any Packer fan that's the TRUTH.

Let's focus on Donald Driver. Many have the opinion he has seen his last snap as a Green Bay Packer. Whatever....

If that's the case there is no need in Ted Thompson stalling the evident need to upgrade the WR position from a youth standpoint. Ted Thompson should respect Donald Driver and release him long before our teams TC. Donald Driver needs to elect his then FA status and act according to his needs.

What's the alternative? Ted Thompson has to pay DD his bonus before TC. I'm sure DD will be pleased to at least feel he has a chance to win a spot and start game one of this season wearing our colors.

I'll not see Ted Thompson in a good light if he stalls it all until late June when that bonus to DD is due and then releases this Packer GREAT. As a Packer fan and if that's the case. I'll see that as reflecting poorly on the character of Ted Thompson. As a fan of Donald Driver I'll not appreciate such a lack of respect for a Packer great.

That's my position and it's not debateable. I refuse to ever get sucked into useless debate when my position is so formed.

GO PACKERS !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 05-17-2012 at 06:29 AM.

Excuse me bud but I'm not getting sucked into any discussion about a former Packer and NFL player (retired) and anything Donald Driver. This Forum goes ballistic simply seeing that former packer's name. Many here have not come to terms with him maturely.

There 'in fact' is a similarity that has to do with 'the word loyalty'. That word and any players association with an NFL team is moot today; as neither the NFL player nor the powers to be in that teams organizational chart muster to that word. It's all about what can you do for me now...today.

The Packer organization was intent on trying to force that other player to retire.That has to be agreed as obvious and the figure $20 million$ will remind you that's a fact or the TRUTH.

Let's focus on Donald Driver please. Many have the opinion he has seen his last snap as a Green Bayb Packer. Whatever....

If that's the case there is no need in Ted Thompson stalling the evident need to upgrade the WR position from a youth standpoint. Ted Thompson needs to release Donald Driver long before our teams TC. Donald Driver needs to elect his then FA status and act according to his needs.What is the alternative. Ted thompson has to pay DD his bonus and if that is due before TC and TT comes through on that bonus I'm sure DD will be pleased to at least feel he has a chance to win a spot and start game one of this season.

I will not see Ted Thompson in a goood light if he stalls it all until late June when that bonus to DD is due and then releases this Packer GREAT. As a Packer fan if that's the case. I'll see that as reflecting poorly on the character of Ted Thompson. As a fan of Donald Driver I'll not appreciate such a lack of respect for a Packer great.

That's my position and it's not debateable. I refuse to ever get sucked into useless debate when I'm obviously correct.

GO Packers !
    No, the Packers were intent on forcing that player to REMAIN retired. If Donald retires and then tries to come back but thumbs his nose at competing for his old job then the situations will be similar.

Quote Originally Posted by BobDobbs View Post
    I don't think Ted knows what he's going to do yet, but Driver's still on the roster for a reason. They want to see what they've got and that's what camp is for. Driver will take a pay cut like Grant did last year and then he has to compete for a spot for the first time in a long time. He's going to be tough to cut. The young guys have been here long enough that they're going to have to outplay him to win a spot. It's definitely going to be a good reason to watch the 2nd half of the preseaon games.

Hard to see us keeping six WRs. Unless Gurley is a punt blocking machine or Borel wins the KR job. TT always overloads a position, but six wide outs are a lot to dress on game day.

I can't get too worked up about another team signing our cuts. That's life. It seems like we've got 7 WRs that are going to make someone's 53, can't keep 'em all. Someone's probably going to sign a LB or two of ours too. That just shows we're stocking talent. We traded Lorenzo out of the division because the Vikes needed a QB to make a title run. There's no team out there thinking "if we can just add a number 3 wide receiver we're in it this year"

Actually a lot of teams carry 6 WRs and we pass the ball more than anyone in the league except for a few teams. I see no reason why we can't keep 6 WRs and 4 TEs instead of 5 and 5 like last season, especially with Quarless being in doubt because of injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    You won't; at least not Driver in exchange for Titus Young. Young is a, well, young and talented receiver. They're not going to dump him for Driver. However, that's not to say they wont' try to sign Driver as their #3 guy if they think he's an upgrade over Burleson, or if someone gets hurt.

If Donald is released, I can see teams like the Jest or the Phins making a pitch.
    Hi Fritz: DD is a top 40 WR in the NFL. If any team gives this athlete half a better chance then he saw in Green Bay...look out! Donald Driver is certainly SPECIAL. Donald Driver will upgrade any NFL teams WR Corps. If TT doesn't value Donald over need to see new blood or move forward fine. Release Donald Driver ASAP. Let Donald Driver begin to decide his future respectfully.

Let the cards fall as they may. Wherever he lands so be it. Deal with it then come what may.

Ted Thompson cannot cover all the fricken' bases on this one. Surely he's learned that lesson. I'm a Green Bay Packer fan. I'm an NFL fan. I'm a Donald Driver fanand I want to see Donald Driver happy catching TD pass's somewhere. As far as that being in a Lions uni. If I'm their GM and he comes on the FA market. I want him yesterday.

It's like NHL hockey players and that Pro sport is huge in Canada. Trades are a big part of the game. Players are being shifted around the NHL often. You allow one to get to another team and when that player's new team meets his old. He's going to play the best game of his lifetime or try to. You know he wants to have his revenge. Stick it to the old teams GM. Not the team as he maintains reasonable respect for former teammates.

He wants to punish his old GM for no loyalty or appreciation.

Again that's simply a fact of Pro Sports in general and NOT any revelation.

Donald Driver over Nate Burelson in Detroit? Absolutely.... and yes Titus Young is a maturing talent.

Get this done soon and with respect Ted Thompson. Keep DD for one more season or release him ASAP.

Ted Thompson....have respect for Donald Driver.

GO PACKERS !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 05-17-2012 at 06:51 AM.

Wait-n-See Rat All-Pro Smeefers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobDobbs View Post

I think Driver has been fighting for his spot for years now. It's actually kind of amazing that he's been past his prime for so long and has still had such a large part of our offense.

I also think that if Driver does go, he improves any team he goes to purely due to his work ethic. A lot of WR's get hit and go down. I've never seen a WR in the league fight for one more yard like Driver does except for now Jennings and Jones. I believe that is considered value and I think if we do let him go, that he'd be in high demand. Remember, regardless of #'s, last year he was still slotted as our #2. This year, I think he's slotted as our #3.

Senior Rat HOFer
    If TT doesn't value Donald over need to see new blood or move forward fine. Release Donald Driver ASAP. Let Donald Driver begin to decide his future respectfully.

Thing is, we won't know his value to us until the middle of August. You can't simply assume the DD stepping on the field in August is the same DD that walked off in January. Can't cut him now, gotta give him a shot to prove himself in camp and preseason. Same as the youngbloods hoping to take that roster spot from him.

If you are looking at this from the perspective of Thompson, you look at Driver as an asset. Not a player you're married to, but not a player you're quite ready to throw away either. Driver is an asset until we know we have something better. And since we won't know that ASAP, letting him go ASAP would be foolish. Still doesn't mean he's gonna make the team. Maybe that isn't the best way for Driver, but that isn't the point anyways. The point is to win championships.

Personally, I hope he makes the team. I think he'd win any fair and open competition for the last WR spot on the roster IF that last WR spot on the roster isn't absolutely needed for a special teams contributor. I think he could still be an asset for any NFL team including ours. But that remains to be seen.

To avoid emotional conflict, I choose to stay married to the franchise rather than the players. Because the franchise isn't going anywhere. If he doesn't make the roster this year, wish him well and move on. There are 5 other guys on the roster at WR to cheer for. This is a business, the business is championships. Not making sure players can play their entire careers in one city. Ted Thompson....do what's best for the 2012 Green Bay Packers.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

Quote Originally Posted by Gunakor View Post
    Thing is, we won't know his value to us until the middle of August. You can't simply assume the DD stepping on the field in August is the same DD that walked off in January. Can't cut him now, gotta give him a shot to prove himself in camp and preseason. Same as the youngbloods hoping to take that roster spot from him.

If you are looking at this from the perspective of Thompson, you look at Driver as an asset. Not a player you're married to, but not a player you're quite ready to throw away either. Driver is an asset until we know we have something better. And since we won't know that ASAP, letting him go ASAP would be foolish. Still doesn't mean he's gonna make the team. Maybe that isn't the best way for Driver, but that isn't the point anyways. The point is to win championships.

Personally, I hope he makes the team. I think he'd win any fair and open competition for the last WR spot on the roster IF that last WR spot on the roster isn't absolutely needed for a special teams contributor. I think he could still be an asset for any NFL team including ours. But that remains to be seen.

To avoid emotional conflict, I choose to stay married to the franchise rather than the players. Because the franchise isn't going anywhere. If he doesn't make the roster this year, wish him well and move on. There are 5 other guys on the roster at WR to cheer for. This is a business, the business is championships. Not making sure players can play their entire careers in one city. Ted Thompson....do what's best for the 2012 Green Bay Packers.
    I cannot disagree with that solid post. You make valid points on all accounts. Good post.

Jumbo Rat HOFer

There 'in fact' is a similarity that has to do with 'the word loyalty'. That word and any players association with an NFL team is moot today; as neither the NFL player nor the powers to be in that teams organizational chart. Muster to that word. It's all about what can you do for me now...today. Loyalty is gone for much of Pro Sports.

That's my position and it's not debateable. I refuse to ever get sucked into useless debate when my position is so formed.
    I think you were the one who said history will repeat itself not me. I asked if you meant BF. I am not trying to do anything but clarify what your point above was.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Ted Thompson had to be careful not to make moves that would please that Packer GREAT or extend him as a Packer as the focus was on 'that players exit plan'. So it was to come and be until we come to 'the straw that broke the camels back'.Ted Thompson ensureing that Randy Moss went from Oakland to New England and not to Green Bay as a weapon for the possible prolonging of the Packer GREAT's career. Afterall that move or Randt Moss in Green and Gold would have certainly demonstrated support for 'that Packer GREAT' and that wasn't on the agenda.
    To even assert that a GM makes moves to not help his team win games is laughable and a quick way for a GM to get fired.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Smeefers View Post
    I think Driver has been fighting for his spot for years now. It's actually kind of amazing that he's been past his prime for so long and has still had such a large part of our offense.

I also think that if Driver does go, he improves any team he goes to purely due to his work ethic. A lot of WR's get hit and go down. I've never seen a WR in the league fight for one more yard like Driver does except for now Jennings and Jones. I believe that is considered value and I think if we do let him go, that he'd be in high demand. Remember, regardless of #'s, last year he was still slotted as our #2. This year, I think he's slotted as our #3.
    I don't think he even gets that this year if he is on the team. Unless it's nominal only. Cobb must be on the field more than Driver this year. And Jones is no slouch either.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.