Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: BF4MVP's Blog (Yes, I am copying Partial)

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by BF4MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    Do you write Pseudocode? What prog classes have you taken? In my opinion, start your programs early and work hard, you'll get it. It just takes practice and a lot of repetition.
    I haven't written pseudocode..Maybe that would've helped..The only programming class I've taken is VisualBasic.Net
    Take C++ or Java. It'll be a fricking hard class. I also don't think too many people are just naturally good at it. It pretty much comes down to your understanding of creating logical arguments. My guess is if you can do discrete (which sucks, its hard and stupid and I suck at it), you will do well in programming. I am by no means a great programmer, but I write psuedocode and an outline of a logical way to approach the problem and then I sit down and I work on it until I am done. I don't do my programs for classes in my room because I just come on here and surf or talk on aim, so I go to a computer lab. Everynight they have student tutors in the main lab who help out the students who are in their working on homework or their programs for free.. LOTS of SE students go there for that. Also, the UW system offers tutoring for 1.50 an hour (they cover the rest of the fees) for any student, or its free to any first-generation college student. I did that for my circuits class for a while last semester and it helped me a lot. I don't know if thats helpful to you at all, but as they say, its better out then in, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BF4MVP
    Do you write Pseudocode? What prog classes have you taken? In my opinion, start your programs early and work hard, you'll get it. It just takes practice and a lot of repetition.
    I haven't written pseudocode..Maybe that would've helped..The only programming class I've taken is VisualBasic.Net
    Take C++ or Java. It'll be a fricking hard class. I also don't think too many people are just naturally good at it. It pretty much comes down to your understanding of creating logical arguments. My guess is if you can do discrete (which sucks, its hard and stupid and I suck at it), you will do well in programming. I am by no means a great programmer, but I write psuedocode and an outline of a logical way to approach the problem and then I sit down and I work on it until I am done. I don't do my programs for classes in my room because I just come on here and surf or talk on aim, so I go to a computer lab. Everynight they have student tutors in the main lab who help out the students who are in their working on homework or their programs for free.. LOTS of SE students go there for that. Also, the UW system offers tutoring for 1.50 an hour (they cover the rest of the fees) for any student, or its free to any first-generation college student. I did that for my circuits class for a while last semester and it helped me a lot. I don't know if thats helpful to you at all, but as they say, its better out then in, right?
    Thanks for the advice.

The thing about discrete math for me when i took it was, the concepts were either painfully easy or impossible. There was no gray area. For instance, adding, subtracting, and multiplying matrices was painfully easy. Encryption was impossible.