Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics Thread...aka 2010-2011 FIS thread

My son and I went up a lift this past weekend with this guy. They were filming a ESPN piece on him while we were riding. Nice guy, kept telling my kid about how he (my kid) would be on ESPN, and getting him pumped for seeing himself on TV.

A nice object lesson for my son (and me for that matter) about complaining about how tough we have it.

Last edited by HowardRoark; 01-18-2011 at 04:26 PM.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

It's Hahnenkamm Week.

After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

You and the boy and going to have to come north if they get this project going Roark.

http://www.chenahotsprings.com/winter-activities/

A new ski resort with no lifts...just helium balloons that glow like the Borealis. I listened to the owner today and it sounds pretty fun. It's a great place powered only by geothermal.....great freaking hot springs.
    It gets overrun with fornicating Japanese in winter but it's not that bad.

http://aprn.org/2011/01/27/alaska-ne...nuary-27-2011/

radio story here somewhere.

BTW. Hahnenkamm week is the best...bar none. You've been right?
    C.H.U.D.

The top and bottom of that course is so fucking hairy.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardRoark View Post
    My son and I went up a lift this past weekend with this guy. They were filming a ESPN piece on him while we were riding. Nice guy, kept telling my kid about how he (my kid) would be on ESPN, and getting him pumped for seeing himself on TV.

A nice object lesson for my son (and me for that matter) about complaining about how tough we have it.

While I was upstairs last night pouring myself another Jameson, from the basement my kid was screaming “Dad, Dad!!!!!!” I naturally assumed his brother punched him in the nuts again, so I carried on with the important task at hand; my drink.

Evidently there was a commercial for Montana featuring his new buddy Kevin. Anyone see it?

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post

BTW. Hahnenkamm week is the best...bar none. You've been right?
    Yes, I have been there....but when I was there I was unaware of how important the place is. I just remember getting myself lost on the mountain and ending up in the next village up the road and needing to take a city bus back to Kitzbuehl.

Of course you went to the Londoner.
    C.H.U.D.

Vonn gets 40th career WC victory today in the Down Hill:

http://www.universalsports.com/video...y+vonn+wins+dh

Vonn clinches 4th consecutive downhill title
    By ANDREW DAMPF, AP Sports Writer Andrew Dampf, Ap Sports Writer 51 mins ago

TARVISIO, Italy – Lindsey Vonn won her fourth consecutive downhill crystal globe Saturday by finishing second to Anja Paerson, who earned her first victory in a frustrating season.

Paerson finished in 1 minute, 26.91 seconds on the Prampero course for a commanding win in a season hampered by knee problems.

Vonn finished 0.73 behind and holds an insurmountable 143-point lead in the downhill standings over German rival Maria Riesch, who finished sixth but remains the overall leader.

Vonn and Riesch have each won three downhills this season, with Paerson becoming the only other woman to win in the discipline. Last season, Vonn won six of eight downhills.

"I wasn't able to win as many times as last year, so it definitely wasn't easy," Vonn said. "Maria gave me a run for my money, and I had to keep fighting hard the whole season."

It was the 42nd World Cup victory of Paerson's career, improving her fourth-place position on the all-time list and moving two in front of Vonn.

"It's been kind of a struggle this season, and I finally picked a run where I could (be) perfect," said Paerson, who pulled up short because of knee pain during a race on home snow last weekend in Are, Sweden.

While she knew she had clinched the title, Vonn didn't celebrate upon crossing the finish line. She was going for time in finishing second and a chance to cut more points off Riesch's overall lead.

"I didn't know that Anja had had such a good run, but I didn't see what else I could have done to ski faster," Vonn said. "I made a little mistake in the middle, but she was just really fast on the flats."

Riesch is just 136 points ahead in the overall ranks with Vonn favored to make up more ground in Sunday's super-G. That's when the American can clinch her third discipline title in three days, having taken the super-combined globe Friday.

"It's still possible," Vonn said. "In ski racing, things can change very quickly. I obviously would love to be ahead right now, but I'm not in a bad position. I'm skiing like I have nothing to lose and sometimes that can be really dangerous."

Having made a mistake midway down, Riesch was visibly disappointed with her run, slamming into the protective padding at the finish and banging her pole in frustration.

"I just saw that I'm eight hundredths back with this mistake, so I was frustrated in the first moment, but you can't always have runs without mistakes," she said. "It's just normal that one race is not perfect. This is not my favorite downhill track, it's really, really flat and sixth place is not a really good result. But it's still OK."

In a day full of emotions, not even Paerson celebrated, instead grimacing in pain because of her knee problem.

"Landing that jump in the middle of the course was really painful," Paerson said.

Elisabeth Goergl, who swept gold in super-G and downhill at last month's world championships, finished 1.17 back in third. Tina Maze, who won the super-combined on Friday, was fourth.

American Julia Mancuso finished 10th.

Racers competed in sunny and cool conditions, although the course was shortened because of the lack of a training session on the upper section.

"I was a bit lucky that we didn't ski the top part, so I could stay fit the entire run," said Paerson, adding that she still hasn't decided whether she'll keep racing next season.

"Of course when you win you feel positive and everything is going your way, but it's still a big decision. If you race, you have to be dedicated every hour every day. I have to see if I still have the motivation."

Vonn climbs to within 23 points (1678-1655) of her friend Riesch in the overall standings with four races left on this season’s schedule.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Vonn climbs to within 23 points (1678-1655) of her friend Riesch in the overall standings with four races left on this season’s schedule.
    Shouldn't this go in the "Lindsey Vonn: Living Legend" Thread?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Nordic....on a Glacier baby. One of the girls is a neighbor of mine.

http://community.adn.com/?q=adn/node/157785
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Nordic....on a Glacier baby. One of the girls is a neighbor of mine.

http://community.adn.com/?q=adn/node/157785
    Did you hear about that kid a couple nights ago on the Development Team who pissed on an 11 year old girl's leg on a flight from Oregon to NY?

Done. Kicked off.

http://www.ology.com/sports/worst-us...-year-old-girl
    Last edited by HowardRoark; 08-13-2011 at 01:58 AM.

It's Hahnenkamm Week.

http://www.hahnenkamm.com/

I still have some crazy Austrian Eagle ski pole baskets I bought there the first time I went in the early 80s. It was so much fun...
    C.H.U.D.

It's Hahnenkamm Week.

need more cowbell

Oh he's a ski guy.

I thought Hahnenkamm was a klezmer band.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    Oh he's a ski guy.

the guy on the video does sound a bit like a member of "Los Colorados"

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    Oh he's a ski guy.