Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad locker room in Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Shawn Merriman, Antre Rolle, Jared Allen and Ricky Williams all basically said on NFL Network Martin is a man and never should have let it get this far.
    I love that Ricky Williams is talking like this, considering he abandoned the same Dolphins by abruptly retiring before the season rather than face his drug suspension.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

well,sounds like pilbin and the rest of the staff will be gone soon

front office guys should lose their jobs too

I think many are not looking at Martin for where he really is in his career. He is neither a rookie who should shut up and take as some argue, nor a veteran who should have been a man and stopped it before it went too far.

I suspect he believed things would be better when his rookie year was done. He has been described as a man who doesn't like to make waves. There is nothing wrong with that. From what has been said, it doesn't seem he was around the team much in the off-season, only when he had to be. So basically he tolerated some off season things and whatever went on in August and September before taking his stand in October. Some reports said he did complain to the coaches about some things that happened.

We are seeing several things that we see in many criminal cases, harassment cases etc. We have the alleged perpetrator and his supporters making him out to be a victim, and we have some blaming the purported victim. All very typical.

Martin seems like a guy who has options, and some who lived and breathed for careers as NFL players may not understand someone who can take it or leave it. Some will protect the NFL at all costs because that is all they had or expect to have. That includes former players. They view a whistleblower as a weak link, and will gladly blame him.

Martin did take a stand and stop what was being done. He left, removing himself from the situation. By doing so, he exposed his team and the NFL. Those blaming him for not taking a stand and stopping what was being done to him are blind. He did take a stand and stop it. Those blaming him are really upset with how he chose to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Can a racist survive in the NFL for 9 years? I think he can. The veil of secrecy surrounding what goes on within a team is indeed strong. Fringe players won't complain about others for fear of losing their opportunities. Good players won't complain about others for fear of being viewed as wimps or complainers, not team guys, etc., all of which can reduce their marketability. If a player is good enough to help a team win, he will be given opportunity after opportunity, and absolutely abhorrent behavior will be tolerated so long as it is kept somewhat quiet. Winning means money for everyone; players, coaches and owners. Good players who are jerks are tolerated until they become a major distraction. Then they are more or less quietly shown the door.
    Case in point: Matt Light and Aaron Hernandez. Light played with Hernandez for three years I think. After retirement, and after Hernandez was arrested, Light gave his local paper quotes that he believed in nothing that Hernandez did. While it is rare to hear a Patriot talk about the team in such candid terms, it was hardly a controversial stand. In fact, it seemed damn convenient to tell that world that AFTER leaving the team and after a crime had been committed.

A couple of weeks after the quotes appeared, Light denied even speaking to the reporter in question. Not misquoted, he claimed he was busy with a camp for a youth group he was involved with and could not have been reached. The reporter gave the date and time he spoke to Light which coincided with the children's visit to a television station. A visit Light chaparoned. The reporters and Light talked for 4 hours face to face.

The locker room culture (plus Belichick) can silence a retired player to the point of being made to look like an idiot.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    well,sounds like pilbin and the rest of the staff will be gone soon

front office guys should lose their jobs too
    Ya, it's difficult to think of a scenario in which this doesn't fall back on them. No matter which facts you believe, Philbin and his staff are the likely fall-guys who will be sacrificed for the public.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Case in point: Matt Light and Aaron Hernandez.
    [snip]
    The locker room culture (plus Belichick) can silence a retired player to the point of being made to look like an idiot.
    Wow, that's pretty interesting. Even after he's out of the league, his pension is guaranteed, he's still afraid to speak out of turn. Not sure what they had on him to keep him quiet, I guess it was fear of being shut out of the 'club.'

Agreed that Philbin could end up being done, despite a not awful job in making that franchise relevant. He's not the golden boy Payton so I imagine the team and league will be harder on him for stuff that there is no way he didn't know about.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Shawn Merriman, Antre Rolle, Jared Allen and Ricky Williams all basically said on NFL Network Martin is a man and never should have let it get this far.
    I think these guys are as big of morons as Icognito. And that gets at why I don't necessarily think Icognito is a monster, he may just be a moron. Well, Incognito is a John Holmes-sized dick in addition to being a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I think many are not looking at Martin for where he really is in his career. He is neither a rookie who should shut up and take as some argue, nor a veteran who should have been a man and stopped it before it went too far.

I suspect he believed things would be better when his rookie year was done. He has been described as a man who doesn't like to make waves. There is nothing wrong with that. From what has been said, it doesn't seem he was around the team much in the off-season, only when he had to be. So basically he tolerated some off season things and whatever went on in August and September before taking his stand in October. Some reports said he did complain to the coaches about some things that happened.

We are seeing several things that we see in many criminal cases, harassment cases etc. We have the alleged perpetrator and his supporters making him out to be a victim, and we have some blaming the purported victim. All very typical.

Martin seems like a guy who has options, and some who lived and breathed for careers as NFL players may not understand someone who can take it or leave it. Some will protect the NFL at all costs because that is all they had or expect to have. That includes former players. They view a whistleblower as a weak link, and will gladly blame him.

Martin did take a stand and stop what was being done. He left, removing himself from the situation. By doing so, he exposed his team and the NFL. Those blaming him for not taking a stand and stopping what was being done to him are blind. He did take a stand and stop it. Those blaming him are really upset with how he chose to do it.
    good stuff. The Old Boys assume that Martin is a coward. The Old Boys are morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    good stuff. The Old Boys assume that Martin is a coward. The Old Boys are morons.
    They are morons. And Martin is really smart. And really smart people have a hard time relating to dumb, ignorant folk and vice versa. "Big Weirdo" is just idiotic jock-talk for "guy who is really smart and has prospects beyond this silly game and is incredibly threatening to me because I am an imbecile, probably a thug, who's gotten through life because I have won the genetic lottery but this fucker has won the genetic lottery twice and it really pisses me off, but I am so emotionally stunted, because I am an entitled prick who's had everything handed to me and it makes me so mad but I am completely bereft of the capacity for self reflection or introspection I am just going to be as crappy as I can because I am just a shitty excuse for a human being".

Or not.

Blog Entries
    Had to rep that one, George.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Yup Martin is the only smart guy in that locker room he was just being picked on because he was smart. Those mean NFL players that are all dumb as rocks.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Yup Martin is the only smart guy in that locker room he was just being picked on because he was smart. Those mean NFL players that are all dumb as rocks.
    Excellent! You understand my point!

I don't think anyone has argued "only" and "all" in that manner. It never is that way. For example, I suspect there were some in the locker room who were uncomfortable with and never used the "Big Wierdo" moniker for him, probably some on both ends of the intelligence spectrum.

Elegantly Wasted Rat All-Pro Noodle's Avatar
    Holy cow, Cumby, I second KY's rep -- you're the friggin' second coming of James Joyce.

But we do know from the article I linked to earlier that Martin was considered unassuming and deferential by his high school coach. That plus his smarts, might mark him as different.

What is your theory on why Incognito chose Martin to bully?

"Moron" was perhaps a poor choice of words, I didn't mean it in the narrow sense of intelligence. There are people in KKK with genius IQ.

How about backward and emotionally stunted? Childish fools? Whatever the words, the bozo players who are saying Martin should have been a man are an embarassment. Guys who approve of such school-yard, wolfpack behavior are little better than Incognito.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    They are morons. And Martin is really smart. And really smart people have a hard time relating to dumb, ignorant folk and vice versa. "Big Weirdo" is just idiotic jock-talk for "guy who is really smart and has prospects beyond this silly game and is incredibly threatening to me because I am an imbecile, probably a thug, who's gotten through life because I have won the genetic lottery but this fucker has won the genetic lottery twice and it really pisses me off, but I am so emotionally stunted, because I am an entitled prick who's had everything handed to me and it makes me so mad but I am completely bereft of the capacity for self reflection or introspection I am just going to be as crappy as I can because I am just a shitty excuse for a human being".

Or not.
    What is your theory on why Incognito chose Martin to bully?

Do you blame Martin for the choices he made?

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    I blame Martin for not going to OTAs and being viewed as soft from the coaching staff and they task Icognito to toughen him up. I point to all the players that have played with Icognito that say they like the guy. I heard Cory Chavous say that today on the radio. I think Martin has a victim mentality and couldn't deal with the issues as a man and instead acted like a child. He did not bring it up to management, coaches, different team leadership besides Icognito but instead ran home to his parents and said the bad men were being mean.

I dont think Icognito did right by the way but this could and should have been taken care of behind the scenes.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Well, the important issue in all of this is whether this means the Packers will have the opportunity to bring Philbin back, and if they do, whether they would benefit by doing so.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Well, the important issue in all of this is whether this means the Packers will have the opportunity to bring Philbin back, and if they do, whether they would benefit by doing so.
    They might bring him back to get someone to toughen up Sherrod.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen