Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Franklin May Be Done for Good

Blog Entries

Franklin May Be Done for Good

First I've heard of the seriousness of Franklin's injury...
    http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-pa...-valuable-time

Perhaps the biggest concern is about Franklin, the fourth-round pick from UCLA who finished his rookie season last year on injured reserve following a neck injury. The Packers are worried that Franklin's neck injury might be career-threatening. According to two people with knowledge of his situation, the Packers are putting Franklin through more tests to determine whether it's safe for him to continue playing.

Necks. The new hamstring.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

That's 4 neck injuries for the Packers over the last year - Finley, Franklyn, Jolly and Richardson. Only Richardson has come back from it.

Packers are introducing a new helmet to combat neck injuries:
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Connect the new helmet to this:

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Yikes!

I wonder if other teams are having as many neck injuries as the Packers. Is it the equipment (pads, helmets) or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    Yikes!

I wonder if other teams are having as many neck injuries as the Packers. Is it the equipment (pads, helmets) or something else?
    Can't see it being the equipment, it's pretty standardized across the league. Of course, ill-fitting equipment would matter, but that would be a hell of an oversight.

Unlike hamstrings, where it's possible conditioning or something the training staff might be causing, I have to think these are more of a fluke than anything else.
    --

I do wonder, too, if this neck injury thing is affecting the Packers more than other teams.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Yoga is the solution.

To many, many issues.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Yoga is the solution.

As much as it sucks at least we are deep at RB so it should really have no effect on the team. I didn't see him making the team over Harris anyway unless we went with 4 RBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    As much as it sucks at least we are deep at RB so it should really have no effect on the team. I didn't see him making the team over Harris anyway unless we went with 4 RBs.
    Agreed, but more bodies to choose from is always better. Franklin did show something in his the one game he got significant reps, and it seemed like the Pack might have a one-two punch, but then he put the ball on the ground. I wouldn't say it was a certainty that he was going to get beat out by Harris and Starks.
    --

Maybe it could be considered selfish as a Packer fan, but I'd rather he was done than come up 4th for the Packers, get cut, then go on to have a good career for somebody else. Ditto that for Finley.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Maybe it could be considered selfish as a Packer fan, but I'd rather he was done than come up 4th for the Packers, get cut, then go on to have a good career for somebody else. Ditto that for Finley.
    Yep, that would be considered selfish.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Some food for thought:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/c...vention-070313

Although specifically mentioning concussions, other things I have read suggest neck strengthening can reduce neck injuries. The article says a lack of neck strength is more of a problem for incoming players than veterans, but that may vary somewhat by position.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Some food for thought:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/c...vention-070313

Although specifically mentioning concussions, other things I have read suggest neck strengthening can reduce neck injuries. The article says a lack of neck strength is more of a problem for incoming players than veterans, but that may vary somewhat by position.
    I remember doing quite a lot of neck strengthening exercises during drylands, both hockey and football. The one I remember in particular was where you pushed your head against the outside of a teammate's leg, with him offering resistance but allowing you to move so it wasn't static resistance. Of course, the reason I remember it is because it was rife with comments...I mean, you did end up on your hand and knees in front of the guy...
    --

Franklin will definitely be a prime PUP candidate. No reason to release him as of now, unless a return is completely ruled out.

Cup half empty: neck is new hamstring
    Cup half full: Packers got one of this year's major injuries out of the way and it was not to a key player

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    First I've heard of the seriousness of Franklin's injury...
    Then you should read Packerrats more diligently!
    Our earlier discussion:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...light=franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Then you should read Packerrats more diligently!
    Our earlier discussion:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...light=franklin
    damn, pb posted almost the same comment as I did a month ago! I am so lame...
    --