Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
There hasn't been a public word of unhappiness from Perry since the draft, and even his comments leading up to and after the draft have been greatly exaggerated. I can't really blame the guy for saying he's a better fit in a 4-3 because I think he is. Nobody outside the clubhouse knows what went down in the offseason. Some reporters speculating based on a comment by McCarthy that could have meant a number of different things.

BTW, here's what Perry said after the draft:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...149243245.html
After he was drafted by a 3-4 team I'm not sure what else you could expect a guy to say. He's been diplomatic but I think the following quotes say a lot more than you're willing to read into them.

At the NFL Combine after gaining 20 pounds since declaring for the draft in what I'd say was a pretty blatant attempt to enhance his profile as a DE and reduce it as an OLB:

"Some people have a better edge getting off the ball with their hand in the dirt," said Perry. "I’ve been playing it a long time now, and I have experience in that. Being put further away from what you’re used to doing makes you a little uneasy."

If I'm about to get drafted, the last thing I'd be doing is talking about any kind of "uneasiness" about doing anything whatsoever a team may ask me to do to help their team succeed.

I also think there's little doubt that Winston Moss' OTA terse quote "Nick Perry in my book has done absolutely zero," combined with McCarthy's only slightly more measured statements at the time, spoke volumes about their perspective on his unwillingness to participate in OTA's.

It's speculation to read into it sure, but without getting into the logic of why both coaches may or may not have chosen to take a less confrontational public position on the subject of Nick Perry, my opinion is that it's no stretch to conclude the coaches weren't happy with his offseason approach.

As I said previously I think Perry can play, though he may be his own biggest problem.