Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
I understand the Packers need to take desperate measures in order to avoid injury but should we be surprised that our starters miss this many tackles when the only contact they get before week 1 comes from a handful of reps in the preseason? This may just be a tradeoff that MM is willing to make in his preparation.

I'm always hesitant to blame playcalling because its usually and exercise in hindsight but there were some calls of Capers's that I just can't wrap my head around. We gave a 6 man front to some balanced sets in short yardage situations. I'm not sure we even have the horses to adequately challenge that kind of look with a 7 man front. Taking into account the mobility of their QB and he factors into the headcount, we were asking an awful lot of our guys in those situations. This defense does look like they'll be lights out against the pass though. The other Jones played alright, he was easily our best lineman which is nice to see. Burnett secretly had a decent day. Haha was in position to miss a lot of plays but it seems like he's got the hard part down. Firing Capers and executing Brad Jones are pretty drastic moves, but giving the playcalling duties to Winston Moss and sprinkling in some contact drill in practice might make this defense only half bad. It sure would be nice to get a thorn in the middle of this D like Seattle has but the way the draft and FA shook out I'm not sure who that would have been. Now that the safety and OLB positions seem patched up ILB is clearly the most pressing need of the team.
Peppers is just a stop-gap... he'll be what?? 36 next year??

How much longer is Hawk under contract?? And as much as we hate Jones - the Packers brain trust loves the guy. He is in the last year of his contract, yes?? Don't be surprised if they re-up him again!!!

As for the line... they had a good line last year, and they didn't use them, or misused them. Now this year, they boot all of their run-stuffing 3-4 lineman, and all we're left with is undersized, penetration guys - which screams 4-3. As a result, we got steamrolled for 207 yds on the ground in the opener!!!

The Packers brain trust has had years to create this mess. TT/MM/Dunderdummy... they put their collective heads together and this is what they've given us - after the mess they gave us the past 3 years. At some point you have to conclude, this is what they perceive as being the right approach to playing defense.

Obviously they are smoking crack.