Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
I agree on all areas of concern (middle of D in general, run D and over pursuit in particular). I don't agree that Capers is designing unsound defenses.

But unless you have a lead, you cannot combine a pass defense focus with shoddy run defense fundamentals and they haven't had that squared away since 2010 and the first 7 games of 2013.
If what Capers is doing is sound, then I would hate to see what you would consider unsound.

Lining up in the nickel, with only 2 DL on the field on 3rd and 1?? Okay fine, let's say that's a grand idea - is positioning both of your DL outside the Guards "sound"?? The center must be wondering, "... where the fuck did the defensive line go"?? Cutler had to be wondering - "wow, I guess they want me to run for 20 yds... what's the catch"??

The Lockette TD is a perfect example of being unsound - and not just b/c the player on the back end is a rookie in his first game.

I don't watch nearly as much football as I used to, but I can't remember ever seeing a defense allow more free runners, more uncontested catches, more blown assignments, more instances of being outmanned at the POA, on and on...

If you think what Capers is doing is sound - then it is 100% on the players - which means it is 100% on TT.