Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
Can we upgrade Hawk as a player? Sure. He's not a playmaker...he's pedestrian as an athlete on an NFL field. However, Hawk is highly respected in the locker room and is almost like having a coach on the field. He is constantly directing players where to go and has been getting them in the right spot more often than not this year. So, if you bring in a guy who is a better player...but who is unable to direct those around him to get the defense set up correctly...have you really improved anything?

To me, writing about upgrading Hawk is a bottom of the barrel article for a guy like McGinn. Fans have been saying this shit for YEARS. However, there are a few other positions on the team where an upgrade would have more of an impact. Look at the impact Ha Ha has made on this defense. Was McGinn touting that upgrade anywhere? To me, that was FAR more important than fixing the Hawk situation.

IMO, Bob McGinn's writing at this point is more mediocre than AJ Hawk.
I used to buy into the argument that Hawk is like a coach out there, but not any more. If he's lining guys up in the right spots, why is the run defense such garbage? Is it that everyone else sucks at stopping the run? I just don't think Hawk is as cerebral as he is given credit for. Sure he's a leader in the locker room, and rarely gets hurt but on the field he's just not making a difference in any aspect that I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by PaCkFan_n_MD View Post
Hawk Is not going anywhere this season or next so bitching about him isn't going to accelerate his departure. We have NO inside backers. Zero. They all suck. Do you think TT is going to suddenly find two high quality starters in one offseason? Not a chance. Hawk is way more valuable than Lattimore, Barrington, and Bradford. So the goal is going to be to replace that bunch before Hawk. Hawk has one more year left on his deal after this season and then hes gone. Ideally we find a great player someone this offseason to play next to Hawk in 2015 and then hope to get lucky with at least a decent player the year after that.
This is the reality. I'd like the Pack to get a new ILB high in this next draft but that position isn't that strong in the upcoming draft. There's guys that will be available in the late 1st, early 2nd but no real studs. So it's easy to say to draft a replacement for Hawk, but it may not even be possible.