Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
Except they didn't go 3-4. They played 1 snap of 3-4, that's it.

They still played 2-4-5...your dreaded "Capers is a dumbass and has no interest in stopping the run" defense. You act like Capers scrapped the entire scheme and finally loaded the line up with DL when that's not what they did at all.
He played SOME 2-4, but not in either/or situations - and he played an Elephant base, which is essentially a 3-4 - with I might add, personnel that I have been calling for in place of of the putrid ILB combos they've been going with for the last few years.

As I've said, you can play 2-4 once in a while as a subpackage, but I would only do it with personnel other than the way he had been running it, i.e. get one of those slug ILB's off the field, get more size into the front, and rush from everywhere/anywhere - which is what he did against the Bears.

Capers essentially did much of what I've been calling for for a long time now, substituting Elephant for the 3-4, which I don't have that much of a problem with. I do have a problem with their letting the fat guys go, and I think that will hurt us against run heavy teams, but at least what they showed against the Bears is a major step in the right direction.