Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
ST used to be coached by a position coach or a head coach. It was the last group to get a coordinator.
Yup. It went from being a side job for someone with other primary coaching responsibilities, to being just a singular "coach" who might also help out with another position, to being a coach with no other significant responsibilities (This is what it was during the '90s) to now being a "coordinator" position with dedicated special teams assistants under him.

That said, and with no disrespect to special teamers, I have a hard time understanding what a Special Teams Coordinator and one or two assistants do all day long during the season, let alone in the off-season.

Of course, I have a hard time seeing the need for 20 coaches in a sport played by 11 on O and D.

How long before we see "O-line Assistant - Centers", "O-line Assistant - Guards" and "O-line Assistant Tackles"? Can further specialization to "Left Tackles" and "Right Tackles" be far off?

Long snapping, hold, punting and kicking are significantly different skils and responsibilities. Shouldn't there be at least three assistants (lets ignore kickoffs, for now!)

But I digress...............

Make EB the STC. Performance would certainly improve.