Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 49ers Borland Retires

What are these cold hard facts you speak of?

When one of the best rookies in the league last year plays one season and then quits saying he doesn't want to lose 10-15 years off his lifespan, that is hysteria. What proof do you have it shotens lifespans to this degree?

Hell, how the hell did Chuck Bednarik make it to the ripe age of 89 playing as long as he did?

Hysteria.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post

When one of the best rookies in the league last year plays one season and then quits saying he doesn't want to lose 10-15 years off his lifespan, that is hysteria. What proof do you have it shotens lifespans to this degree?

Hell, how the hell did Chuck Bednarik make it to the ripe age of 89 playing as long as he did?

Hysteria.

Dude, I'm not going to run down every story but this ain't fucking cool....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...w-signs-of-cte

Read it or ignore it if you will....

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/big-...s-fred-mcneill

I'm sure the was coincidental.

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/...-star-20121002

It goes on and on. How can you call the complete destruction of people's lives hysteria? They brought it on themselves in my opinion but it's real and serious.

Hysteria.
    Players in years gone by had terrible helmets. As a result, they didn't use their heads to tackle. They just clotheslined your neck.

Occasionally they broke some capillaries that way and you had a hickey for a while.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I chatted with an Australian dude in the 90's who asked me the same thing. "If they didn't wear so much armour and played it like Rugby wouldn't there be fewer serious injuries?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    I chatted with an Australian dude in the 90's who asked me the same thing. "If they didn't wear so much armour and played it like Rugby wouldn't there be fewer serious injuries?"
    Yep. Law of unintended consequences. They designed today's helmets to stop skull fractures and lacerations. They unintentionally made a fumble generator and Chuck Cecil.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Yep. Law of unintended consequences. They designed today's helmets to stop skull fractures and lacerations. They unintentionally made a fumble generator and Chuck Cecil.

And apparently brain dead people in numbers far larger than the general public. I love the NFL and do not want to see it dismantled.....but damn, this ain't cool.

Dude, I'm not going to run down every story but this ain't fucking cool....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...w-signs-of-cte

Read it or ignore it if you will....

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/big-...s-fred-mcneill

I'm sure the was coincidental.

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/...-star-20121002

It goes on and on. How can you call the complete destruction of people's lives hysteria? They brought it on themselves in my opinion but it's real and serious.
    So if it's confirmed as fact that football causes the complete destruction of people's lives (no hyteria there), then why is anyone still playing this sport?

Is Chris Borland just smarter than everyone else?

Maybe the better question is, if you think football causes complete destruction of people's lives then why do you continue to watch and maybe attend games in person? That seems a bit hypocritical.

And apparently brain dead people in numbers far larger than the general public. I love the NFL and do not want to see it dismantled.....but damn, this ain't cool.
    Coaching and rules changes. Plus a Commissioner who isn't governing via Press Release. Eminently doable. But it will wait until there is some kinda catastrophe, the PR or real variety.

So if it's confirmed as fact that football causes the complete destruction of people's lives (no hyteria there), then why is anyone still playing this sport?

Is Chris Borland just smarter than everyone else?

Maybe the better question is, if you think football causes complete destruction of people's lives then why do you continue to watch and maybe attend games in person? That seems a bit hypocritical.
    He and Robert Smith and Jim Brown might be smarter than the average cat.

Good question on why I watch.....same reason you do and the dudes back in Rome watched people hacked to death. It ain't us being fucked over...we're watching.

Look Essox, I love football but it seems like this shit is for real. That's all I'm saying.

Matt Maiocco
    @MaioccoCSN

Ex-49ers LB Chris Borland makes it easy on his old team, as he voluntarily gives back 3/4 of his signing bonus.
    http://origin.csnbayarea.com/49ers/b...-signing-bonus

Matt Maiocco
    @MaioccoCSN

Ex-49ers LB Chris Borland makes it easy on his old team, as he voluntarily gives back 3/4 of his signing bonus.
    http://origin.csnbayarea.com/49ers/b...-signing-bonus
    I am impressed. I respect that a whole bunch!

Now the 49ers should insist he keep it.

yup, its not like nfl teams are hurting for money

and you could say he easily outplayed his contract last year

Absolutely, red. The real harm in his retiring is the opportunity cost of the draft pick, which is sunk, baby, sunk. The signing bonus should be his to keep. It's an incentive to sign, which he did. There are forces that compel him to serve out the contract, but he retired anyway.

totally agree about a signing bonus being incentive to sign, that should be his no matter what, just like it would be his if he was cut last year

teams can avoid this by giving roster bonuses instead of signing bonuses, but then they wouldn't be able to stretch the cap hit out over 5 years
    Last edited by red; 03-22-2015 at 01:23 PM.

Why?

The 49ers are a business and they blew on 3rd round pick on a guy who doesn't want to play. My position on this is that these head injuries are a huge concern and I really feel for the guys that play but if you don't want to assume the risk don't accept the pile of money in the first place.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I agree with Esoxx about the hysteria. Sure, there are a lot of professions that are safer than pro football, like accounting, etc. But there are those that are a lot harder and riskier. Try being on a fishing boat off Alaska. I don't see you guys lamenting the danger those guys face. Why do they do it? Shouldn't it be banned? What could be more mundane than putting your life on the line so Rastak can get cheaper cod or halibut, or whatever in the Twin Cities? Football is risk-reward, like any other endeavor. The rewards are very high, and the risk is very low. Of course, if you are one of the few who lose your mental capacities, it's a huge suck. Just like if you're the guy who gets swept off the deck into the Bering Straits.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Why?

The 49ers are a business and they blew on 3rd round pick on a guy who doesn't want to play. My position on this is that these head injuries are a huge concern and I really feel for the guys that play but if you don't want to assume the risk don't accept the pile of money in the first place.
    If its a signing bonus then its his. If its not his, and he must play a certain number of games to vest it, then call it something else.

Or, just stop goofing around, outlaw bonuses, guarantee the contracts and limit them to four years.

It would be much more efficient. And several reporters and bloggers could be employed elsewhere to decipher money on the front and back ends and the points of movie contracts.

If its a signing bonus then its his. If its not his, and he must play a certain number of games to vest it, then call it something else.

Or, just stop goofing around, outlaw bonuses, guarantee the contracts and limit them to four years.

It would be much more efficient. And several reporters and bloggers could be employed elsewhere to decipher money on the front and back ends and the points of movie contracts.

Well, the term "signing bonus" is kind of generic. I have not read an NFL contract but I would assume the language is something like "We agree to fork out 400k and you agree to make yourself available to play for the duration of the contract. It would be similar to taking any kind of job with a up front bonus and language saying if you walk out we get that back since you didn't deliver the services we paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I agree with Esoxx about the hysteria. Sure, there are a lot of professions that are safer than pro football, like accounting, etc. But there are those that are a lot harder and riskier. Try being on a fishing boat off Alaska. I don't see you guys lamenting the danger those guys face. Why do they do it? Shouldn't it be banned? What could be more mundane than putting your life on the line so Rastak can get cheaper cod or halibut, or whatever in the Twin Cities? Football is risk-reward, like any other endeavor. The rewards are very high, and the risk is very low. Of course, if you are one of the few who lose your mental capacities, it's a huge suck. Just like if you're the guy who gets swept off the deck into the Bering Straits.
    Thing is, what is the percentage? They studied 77 brains and something like 75 were fucked up. Look, I'm neither a scientist nor a DR. I hope it isn't a large portion of retired players but it seems to be. Rewards are high but I'm not sure where you get the risks are low.

I got kicked in the nutsack a couple years back reading an article about a guy named Scott Kooistra. The article talked about how his life was basically destroyed one fine day in a pre-season game. I was like Scott Kooistra....who the fuck is that. Then I recall he was carted off in a Vikings pre-season game. He was a fringe dude so I gave it no further thought. This fucker broke his neck and I couldn't give a shit because he wasn't a starter.....anyway, kind of woke me up that these guys get a ton of money but can pay a pretty hefty price. Seems like most of them have some sort of permanent physical disability....and no I do not have the numbers.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_2071952...ing-life-after