Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Really, really kickass movies

? HOFer
    Has anyone seen "Into the Wild"? I get two movies a month per the netflicks plan my sister got me for Christmas, and I am thinking about going with that for one of them.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    Has anyone seen "Into the Wild"? I get two movies a month per the netflicks plan my sister got me for Christmas, and I am thinking about going with that for one of them.
    You could quickly read the book to make up your mind. I never read it, but I assume it is sort of like "My Side of the Mountain" a person goes to live in the wild. I think it would be pretty cool. I think if something really terrible happened to me or my life I might just turn to the hills and live out my life in a hand made cabin living off the land.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonpackfan
    Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007
    Quote Originally Posted by PaCkFan_n_MD
    Has anyone seen The Brave One? Am thinking about seeing it. Someone told me it was good......
    I watched it tonight and thought it was good.

It kind of sent a message.. unrealistic/over the top in her case...but it's true, after you've loved and lost someone you are a different person in some shape or form. There really is no going back to the exact same person you were before.

Anyone else see it?

I agree with your observation that if you lose a loved one to violence, you are never the same person. Foster's character plays that out well.

What is also a major theme is that using violence to seek revenge does not bring a satisfying peace of mind. Foster and/or the police detective kill the 3-4 people involved in the assault, but she is still haunted by the tragedy.

In the subway scene where she shoots two muggers(who weren't involved in the original assault) the Foster character is certainly justified in defending herself. At the same time, the finality of the shooting does not give her any satisfaction.

Overall, it was a very good movie, IMO. Jodie Foster remains one of my favorite actresses.
    What the hell was the Bronson movie based on the same premise? His daughter is raped and killed and he goes vigilante big time. Good flick back in the day. I think I saw it about the time I saw Walking Tall and White Line Fever.
    C.H.U.D.

He was a fool and it cost him.
    C.H.U.D.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz
    You could quickly read the book to make up your mind. I never read it, but I assume it is sort of like "My Side of the Mountain" a person goes to live in the wild. I think it would be pretty cool. I think if something really terrible happened to me or my life I might just turn to the hills and live out my life in a hand made cabin living off the land.
    Show's my extent of knowledge on it I didn't know it was a book! I think it'd be a good experience to give up suburban life for a bit and go live on the fat of the land. Since I've been a kid I've always wanted to do that for awhile, especially after reading hatchet in elementary school and then Walden in high school.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz
    Show's my extent of knowledge on it I didn't know it was a book! I think it'd be a good experience to give up suburban life for a bit and go live on the fat of the land. Since I've been a kid I've always wanted to do that for awhile, especially after reading hatchet in elementary school and then Walden in high school.
    I was watching an old documentary on PBS a year or so ago about a fellow that went up to Alaska and built a cabin with old hand tools starting in the warm summer months, finished the cabin in the fall, he lived at least a year. You have to be really careful doing something like that, especially in Alaska because of the severe weather. You don't want to fall through any ice, or get stuck in the snow I can tell you that much. A good compass will help as well. Anyways it was pretty amazing watching this guy work. Thats craftsmanship that barely exist anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    What the hell was the Bronson movie based on the same premise? His daughter is raped and killed and he goes vigilante big time. Good flick back in the day. I think I saw it about the time I saw Walking Tall and White Line Fever.
    Death Wish

He's better in "Hard Times" as bare-knuckle fighter Chaney, IMHO.

Have I mentioned the A Fist Full Of Yen section of "Kentucky Fried Movie" yet?

Partial,

I read the book and saw the movie. It was a very interesting story about an idealistic young man trying to challenge himself about life's priorities, etc.

Though the movie was very good, I thought the book version was excellent.

Unfortunately, his fascination with the challenges of the Alaskan Wilderness proved to be his fatal undoing. Like Freak Out mentioned, many native Alaskans considered him a fool as the young guy simply was not prepared for the harshness of Alaskan winters. Bottom line: if you are not prepared to meet the severity of winter in Alaska, you are dead!

It is still worth reading and renting the DVD.

I've heard the movie was good...but that's what it was...a movie. I've actually hiked out to "the bus" and it's really not very difficult if you know what your doing. The river crossing can be a bitch if the waters high but if you know what your doing it's nothing people have not done many times before. He made some bad decisions and had some bad luck.

Nutz....the movie your probably referring to is "One mans wilderness", a story about Dick Proenneke and his cabin on Twin Lakes. I think he moved there in the early 60s and built his cabin and had lived there until his death in...2002 or 2003? (To lazy to look) That Alaska is still there in some respects....you just have to leave the SAT phone behind.

I've seen it many times and always enjoy it.
    C.H.U.D.

Whiplash is a good movie; really makes you think about what the best way to motivate a kid.........
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Recently saw the movie "In Time" with that Amy McAdams Rachel Ray or whoever. The father character was amazing. If that movie doesn't get to you, you have no heart.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Recently saw the movie "In Time" with that Amy McAdams Rachel Ray or whoever. The father character was amazing. If that movie doesn't get to you, you have no heart.
    That was a really good movie...especially being a father.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    I was watching an old documentary on PBS a year or so ago about a fellow that went up to Alaska and built a cabin with old hand tools starting in the warm summer months, finished the cabin in the fall, he lived at least a year. You have to be really careful doing something like that, especially in Alaska because of the severe weather. You don't want to fall through any ice, or get stuck in the snow I can tell you that much. A good compass will help as well. Anyways it was pretty amazing watching this guy work. Thats craftsmanship that barely exist anymore.
    I can't stop watching that show whenever it comes on....he lived up there a long time like that.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    ^^^ Not a movie, but DIY network has the show "Building Alaska." I love that show. It's great what people come up with when they are 20, 100, 200 + miles from anything resembling a hardware store, let alone Home Depot
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck