Thread: Brett Hundley, 2015 Fifth Round Draft Pick

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Longer quote about the UCLA offense from JSO story above, if you want to get slightly irrational, you can see teams passing on talent because they aren't comfortable with the college offense. However, its also clear that the UCLA offense is more Seattle in terms of progressions than West Coast Offense.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/303029201.html

On the criticism that he didn't go through progressions in UCLA's offense... “Our offense is based off progressions. You do go through 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 through every passing play we have. The ball comes out quick in our offense, which is great, because in the NFL you can’t hang onto the ball very long. So with his quick delivery with his quick decisions he’s made throughout his whole career, I think he’ll do just fine in any NFL system he runs.

“And watching that first Seattle/Green Bay game, Russell Wilson ran the zone read to the left, the outside receiver fake-blocked, went down the field and Russell threw it — Brett has run that play his whole career. He did it against Utah his sophomore year. So it’s kind of funny. They’re talking about how amazing that scheme was and I’m like, ‘We’ve been running that for four years now. It’s funny watching the NFL, and them taking ideas from college football, and it seems like, oh, that’s the first time it’s ever been shown. No, we do that every day.”
    The difference between his college and pro offenses? Pre snap reads were the most important reads he made in college.

On other plays Hundley ran in college that could transfer... “I remember what the Dallas game and they’re in 2-back sets, and a couple times you see Aaron flip his feet real quick and throw a quick out to Randall. It’s like, man, Aaron makes these quick accurate throws and quick decisions and throughout Brett’s career that’s what he does for a living. Setting his feet and seeing, just by alignment, just horizontally who we have out flanked, that’s the whole offense we ran. So if you’re looking for a guy who can see the weakness of a defense on the second level to the third level, he sees it on every down. It’s not a huddle offense that runs the ball a lot that breaks the huddle, goes to the line of scrimmage, hands the ball off. We’re constantly looking for that defender that we cannot block as an O-Line. Brett’s awareness for knowing what the O-Line can’t handle, he did that every down on a run play, on a pass play.
    Last edited by pbmax; 05-08-2015 at 10:40 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.