And from JSOnline:

From his HS coach:

At Chandler High School (Ariz.), coach Jim Ewan kept Hundley on the junior varsity squad as a sophomore. Ewan admits Hundley wasn't happy about it, but then he outworked everyone.

"That's the kind of work ethic he has," Ewan said, "he'll outwork people in the weight room."

And Ewan points to a game vs. rival Centennial. Trailing, 28-27, Hundley led his team to the 8-yard line and threaded two passes to his go-to receiver in the end zone.

Both were dropped. The game ended. Immediately Hundley ran over to hug his teammate.

"Mentally," Ewan said, "he is the toughest kid I've ever worked with, and I've been doing this 44 years now."

From UCLA QB coach Taylor Mazzone:

Mazzone dives into the story of UCLA naming Hundley the starter the seventh practice of his sophomore year. He dropped to a knee, broke out in tears and called his dad immediately.

"To see how much it meant to him to be named the starter is pretty special," Mazzone said. "For Brett to represent your team, you're in good hands."

"I guarantee," Mazzone said, "when you see Brett's first practice and the ball's coming out, you'll think 'Wow, this kid could have been a top-tier pitcher in major-league baseball.'"

Smarts? Mazzone remembers Hundley always carrying a notebook, writing down every word every coach told him. At the line, Hundley knew who the unblocked defender was. Mazzone never re-watched a game and wondered aloud, What is he thinking?