http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...d-for-manziel/

“That side of my brain’s been sort of asleep for a while,” Pettine said, via Cleveland.com. “It’s been great. I feel very rejuvenated as a coach to be a part of it.”
and

“We just don’t want to put our quarterback in situations where the percentages aren’t there,” Pettine said. “We don’t want to be in third-and-long and second-and-long, where the quarterback is getting hit a lot. When a quarterback is upright and can get through his reads quick and get the ball out of his hands he’s a lot better.”
The quotes aren't determinative, but I think the Browns are on their way to screwing up their offense again. The likeliest explantation os Pettine's quotes are that they are going to run the ball early and often. Given their receiving corps, this makes some sense, but isn't a long term successful strategy for an offense today. Its a sign of capitulation to the failure of the front office on the Offensive side of the ball. Its a good way to go 8-8 and 9-7 and have that be your ceiling.

I am not close and don't know Pettine, so he might know this. But I think he's a Rex Ryan guy, no? So I suspect he doesn't know this.