Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why doesn't Colin Powell Run for president?

That is sooooo stupid.

I'm not saying it's not true, it's just really stupid that people would feel that way.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    That is sooooo stupid.

What? <seriously>

Don't pick on Red like that, he can't help it.

<disclaimer>

THAT WAS A JOKE RED. A JOKE. OK?

Allow me to clarify. People are stupid.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Maybe you are talking about me? I have no idea what people or perspective you think is stupid.

I'm assuming that those who would assasinate Powell, but am not sure, as you might think this thread is stupid.

Maybe you mean the 15-30% of Americans who believe some sort of US gov't conspiracy around 9/11 and the war on terror. A la this week's Southpark episode

I can see that you're bored. Of course I am saying that anyone who would think to assasinate a qualified leader on the color of his skin is an absolute moron. The problem is that there are a few of them out there. I personally think that Powell would make a very good president and the fact that he even has to think about something like that troubles me.

I can see that you're bored. Of course I am saying that anyone who would think to assasinate a qualified leader on the color of his skin is an absolute moron. The problem is that there are a few of them out there. I personally think that Powell would make a very good president and the fact that he even has to think about something like that troubles me.
    I agree - but the president (regardless of skin color, etc) receives plenty of threats on a daily basis - for simply being the president.

I too like Powell but reserve a vote of confidence until he either announces his intention or discusses his positions. It's pretty obvious he followed orders well - he could have been a great leader if he'd taken a slightly less aggressive approach during his case for war speech to the UN (he took 4 days to research CIA reports and used unreliable data to increase the WMD debate).

I don't think Powell has the "power-trip ego" and has no desire to be president.

On the Dems side, Big Bill Richardson will be a player, he has a good record and would get the Hispanic vote.

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy
    That is sooooo stupid.

What? <seriously>

you friggen asshole, god i hate you

<disclaimer>

oh, OHHHHHHHHHH

Quote Originally Posted by Badgepack
    I don't think Powell has the "power-trip ego" and has no desire to be president.

On the Dems side, Big Bill Richardson will be a player, he has a good record and would get the Hispanic vote.
    richardson would probably be a great VP, bringing the swing states in the southwest and the hispanic vote. there was a belief out there during the 04 election that he wasn't picked for VP because he had some skeletons in the closet.

Probably not for 2008, but Barack Obama will be a player in 2012 if Dems don't take the White House in 2008. He seems to be well respected and from what I see and hear so far is pretty impressive.

Senior Rat HOFer the_idle_threat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by red
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam!
    He is HIGHLY respected throughout the world, which is probably going to go against him.

Most people around the world sincerely hoped G.W. Bush would not make the second term, and he won by the most votes ever. Newspaper commentaries often quoted the spite in many voters in his re-election.

I am unsure as to the legitimacy of those commentaries; were Americans even aware of the world's disdain for Bush?

BTW, the world didn't think much of Al Gore either, it was the lesser of two evils. Since his new film, his reputation has been well enhanced and I've heard many people long for him to go for it again....

These are not my views necessarily, I am merely bringing in some world opinion. I don't really know enough about it to have a hard opinion.
    Tarlam,

What do you mean when you say Bush won by the most votes ever? He won by 3 million, but that was one of the smallest margins in recent history. He may have gotten the most votes ever, but that is because 2004 had by far the highest number of people voting ever. Kerry also received more votes than anyone had ever gotten prior to 2004. It was well known, at least by those who follow politics, that Bush was not well liked outside the U.S. I don't think it hurt him, and may have actually helped him with certain constituencies.
    and a lot of those 3 million votes were suspect

The Dems have been active supporters of voting fraud and have blocked reasonable attempts to prevent it in Wisconsin. It's possible---even probable IMO---that Kerry did not legitimately win Wisconsin in '04.

he lost, and it doesn't matter at this point, but i don't buy for a second that it was fair or square
    Isn't the Democratic party more notorious for voting irregularities? I know it makes Dems feel better to pin the blame for every wrong onto Republicans, but this is a tad much. And they wonder why they've haven't been getting the Independent vote.

Dems want everyone to vote--even those that haven't a clue about what they are voting on. Let's let the bums vote... maybe even some dead people... Mickey Mouse can vote a couple of times... why not some illegal immigrants... we'll promise them some favors and they'll vote for us.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    he lost, and it doesn't matter at this point, but i don't buy for a second that it was fair or square
    Isn't the Democratic party more notorious for voting irregularities? I know it makes Dems feel better to pin the blame for every wrong onto Republicans, but this is a tad much. And they wonder why they've haven't been getting the Independent vote.

Dems want everyone to vote--even those that haven't a clue about what they are voting on. Let's let the bums vote... maybe even some dead people... Mickey Mouse can vote a couple of times... why not some illegal immigrants... we'll promise them some favors and they'll vote for us.
    I love the Dem struggle to allow people to vote without identification. Why not just make your slogan "We love voter fraud! Now he's a pack of cigarettes to vote straight ticket Democrat you fucking bum. Go on, and when you come back, we'll put you on a different shuttle to a different polling place. Let every voice be heard!"Culture of anonymity my ass.

Maybe we can get Sowande Ajumoke Omokunde to go out slashing tires on voting shuttles again, hey? Oh, I forgot, that was just a "prank gone wrong" according to the Dem DA. Some fucking prank - stopping several hundred people from voting against his crazy-ass, dim witted, fashion-retarded mom. Real funny stuff.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by retailguy
    That is sooooo stupid.

What? <seriously>

you friggen asshole, god i hate you

<disclaimer>

oh, OHHHHHHHHHH

hahahah I read this and just burst out laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Partial

hahahah I read this and just burst out laughing

Red is much funnier than I am. I'm working hard to keep up, but it seems to be a losing proposition....

Red - Kudos to you for toppling the fantasy king. Damn him and Colston....