Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Official Whiskey/Bourbon Thread

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I like Tyrconnell whiskey from Ireland. Smooth stuff.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Can you get any decent Canadian Beer where you live? The beer is so fricken' good up here compared to 'it all tastes the same' in the US of A.

what is "Good Canadian Beer"?

also, what does that "good canadian beer" cost you for a 6pack. My last trip to the great white north, a 6pack of MGD was $12!!! I could only imagine what a two-four cost. the only thing more screwed up then the canadian gov't is canadian liquor stores.........oh wait, the gov't owns the liquor stores.

Big Rock Traditional Ale.
    Canadian taxes are ridiculous on alcohol, as to our government it has its own problems.

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar

Good Canadian Beer!

Single Malt, at least 12 years old. I like 'em a little peaty.

Maker's is surprisingly drinkable.

Crown makes a helluva hot toddy when fighting a cold.

Don't like Jack or Jim.

Good Canadian beer: from my old climbing bum days, Black Label, eeeesh, rotgut in a can.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Whiskey View Post

also, what does that "good canadian beer" cost you for a 6pack. My last trip to the great white north, a 6pack of MGD was $12!!! I could only imagine what a two-four cost. the only thing more screwed up then the canadian gov't is canadian liquor stores.........oh wait, the gov't owns the liquor stores.
    It depends where you reside in Canada.

Quebec is highly civilized in terms of beer cost. The sales are great in the early summer and at Xmas as well.

For instance you can but 24 botles of Stella Artois or BECKs for under $30 bucks$. Lite beer in a 2-4 like Coors and Bud costs around $27.50 Cdn. anytime. Now in Ontario for some reason the price jumps sky hight to about $45-47 bucks. That would be close to the price in the Maritimes as well and I'm not sure what the cost is now in the Prarie Provinces. I'm outta here right now to grapm some 500 ml cans of imported German beer at about $2.00 Bucks$ each.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    I was skeptical at first too. It's surprisingly good on a hot day.
    Here's one for your ginger beer and I mean deliscious. Try to get a good Dark Rum and I recomment That one from Bermuda 'Black Seal'...or an equivalent Dark Rum. This is vital. Makes some crushed ice and use to pack a long hiball glass and shoot the rum into that and add ginger beer to a FIZZ ! Deliscious and look out if your with a lady you love...cause the romance will dance.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Had some of this last weekend while visiting deer camp. Highly recommended.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I've heard Maker's Mark is good, but haven't tried it yet.
    Had a bottle of it last summer at a dance. Was great and a lot of fun.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Stagg JR is great....I am loving the Lagavulin aged in PX Casks...sweet jesus this stuff is sublime.
    C.H.U.D.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I have to mention that I have started drinking bourbon on a more regular basis, I like knob creek and bullit

After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Fresh off my 20's I have some experience crouching down to grab my whiskey. I'll deposit my studies here for posterity. You can only imagine the damage to my person it took to drink my way through the bottom shelves to gather this information so you don't have to. Without further ado I present my three lower shelf gems:

Old Overholt is a full rye and probably the only one you'll ever need for $14. My opinion is colored by my extensive experience with OO but IMO its everything rye is with nothing else there to interfere. If someone had never had rye this is what I'd calibrate them with.

Four Roses runs about $20. Not quite bottom shelf but I've seen it as a rail whiskey before and its such a bargain that it became the point where quality meets quantity for most of my last decade. I consider Four Roses a high-rye bourbon so give it a shot if you like, bullit, buffalo trace, knob creek, or even Jack. Similar to how I feel about what OO is to Rye, Four Roses captures the quintessential flavor of Bourbon but I can be much more confident in saying that as I've sampled so many more bourbons than ryes. By the time I discovered Four Roses I had already sampled enough bourbon to know what I wanted and Four Roses then fit like a tailored suit. Compared to something else in its price range like Old Grandad's Bonded I find Four Roses to be sweet so its very versatile for a high-rye. If you can't find it go for Jim Beam Black label. If you like that you'll love this.

Old Fitz can be had for $15 or cheaper. Pay attention this ones important. If the only bourbon you like is Makers Mark or Rebel Yell this is what you need to get instead. Its not better than Weller but if you're a fan of that its still worth knowing about. Old Fitz is a wheated bourbon so the burn and spice of rye gives way to smoothness and some faintly fruity sweetness.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 11-28-2015 at 11:54 PM.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Thanks Freak. Now where are those Canadians to rate the Canadian Whiskeys?
    It's all here in one LINK so fill your whiskey lovin' boots:

http://www.canadianwhisky.org/news-v...-whiskies.html

I've enjoyed this Rye Whiskey as my personal first choice. I enjoy the of the oaken casket flavour from the barrel that the whiskey was stored in.

http://www.gibsonsfinest.ca/

Purchase The RARE...The 18 Year Old....Gibson's Finest.

Great to sip before retiring for the day.

The little extra cost gains you 6 years of aging to 18 years over the Gibson's Sterling's ...Aged 12 years.

Actually for my simple tastes anything Gibson's Finest I've enjoyed.

http://www.canadianwhisky.org/review...0-alc-vol.html

This one is very good:

JP WISER`S Deluxe

http://www.jpwisers.com/ca/

Enjoy yiour favourite Whiskey. There are so many you might need five lifetimes to try. LOL

Attention Costco shoppers: Kirkland released an XO Cognac for $45....holy shit this is great stuff. They also have the Laphroig 15 (200th anniversary Edition) for $54. FANTASTIC stuff. BUY IT!
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Whiskey View Post

The prices of Canadian beer varies by location ie the Province where you purchase it Little Whiskey.

I reside in a typical year in **Quebec** and New Brunswick and Ontario and prices in Quebec 'are highly civilized'.

Sales are typical and the best prices come in early Summer and in early December. I do drink some lager and white beer but I'm uysually into drinking good ales. I want ione right now as I post this. be right back:

Ok I'm drinking a Molson Export Ale. Cost right now $35.95 for 24 bottles.(341 ml and 5 %b Alcohol) in Ontario ...The Beer Store's.. This is a popular choice it seems to me in Ontario ...Quebec - the cost closer to $30.00 and in the Maritimes it might be about $45.00 (High Taxation and less population) for the same amount ...or a Flat.

I enjoy in Ontario..Molson Export Ale..James Ready Original Ale (sometimes in Ont. @ about $ 33 Bucks a flat and it's great as well as the James Ready 5.5 % Alcohol Lager Beer - at the same price. This product is made @ Moosehead Breweries...Home Saint John, NB...Canada's 'only' Independent Brewery. The funny thing and sadly for me Little Whiskey....you cannot purchase the James Ready Lineup in Saint John).

I also enjoy Sleeman's Cream Ale whenever available and I desire a very smooth ALE. That's a $ premium Ale $ .... cost as high as $45 Bucks a flat in Ontario...the same in the Maritimes..about $ 38.00 in Quebec. Inn Quebec they don't choose beer it's a whole shit load of a lot of various wines that hit the table.

Little Whiskey in case your not familiar with this:

the Maritime Provinces = three Provinces....First traveling east and after Quebec>>>New Brunswick, then South and more East on the Trans Canada HWY >>>Nova Scotia and the small Province Prince Edward 'used to be' Island LOL. It's now connected to NB by a long bridge.

Some think that Newfoundland is a Maritime Province.It's all by itself and it's time zone is 1/2 hour earlier than the Maritimes time. 1 and 1/2 Hours earlier than Quebec time...the same as Ontario Time. Ontario is a long drive between the Quebec and Manitoba borders. Driving out west just from the Toronto area (Mississauga, Ont.) tp get to Manitoba I had Nights in motels two nights before I finally reached Kenora, Ont. close to the Manitoba border.

A lot more info. than you asked for Little Whiskey . Maybeb it gives you a better Pic of the really BIG PICTURE up here.

Another favourite of mine and available (again sadly in Nova Scotia and NOT New Brunswick...Oland's Export Ale..a very smooth great tasting Ale...say $40 - $45 a Flat.

In New Brunswick I drink...a Great Ale...Moosehead 'Red'..Ale. It has a full hearty taste..it's won an International Award. That costs me around $42 Bucks a Flat. It's worth it to me as I love Moosehead 'Red'.

I hope this gives you something on the cost of Beer Products here.

Basically and in review....it comes down to TAX and how thatv varies....Province to Province.

HOLY CRAP the World Junior Hockey game Canada Vs Finland is wild. Canada just tied it up at 5 each.

We had them 3-2 and they tied it up and then went ahead 4-3. We got it even and Finland got another 5-4...Now it's 5-5.

Excitement. Back and forth FAST hockey. It doesn't get much better. They simply give errrr !

We enjoy the World Juniors. The US of A ......handled us 3 - 2 a few days ago...well on Boxing day. Sweden again looks formidable. ...as do the Finns.