Thread: Draft Rankings

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I didn't realize a post couldn't be more than 10,000 characters until now.

I will say that I like Carson Wentz. I'm not quite as high on him as Winston and Mariota from last year, but I like him better than Bortles, Carr, and Bridgewater from two years ago. I tried to be as objective as I could. My "ah ha" moment for him was watching tape of him against South Dakota State on the road. SDSU was a top 5 team with comparable talent, and the Bison blew them out. Wentz showed a lot of NFL throws in that game. His receivers are slow (probably the biggest weakness on the Bison the last two years), so he's often throwing into tight windows--which I think has helped him. The other thing is there really isn't tape of him having bad games. His footwork was inconsistent his first year starting, but improved dramatically as a senior. There are some bad throws, but most games I came away impressed. Even a guy like Goff had some atrocious games (USC and Utah games stand out).

People make assumptions about the level of competition, but the Bison played a pro style offense. Wentz had a lot of pre-snap responsiblities (both with play call and protection). Often, pre-snap reads were more important than post-snap progressions (think ARod with the Packers), so at times it appears that he just locked onto his primary target, but I don't think that's true. When he has to, he's shown the ability to progress through his reads, both high-low and east-west. I think he's probably further along than people realize, despite the level of competition. The knocks I have on him are: 1) he's had some injuries, 2) he can be careless with the ball when he's scrambling, 3) he sometimes trusts his arm too much (but in a way I like that; he's no game manager).

Something else to chew on. Division I-AA QBs don't generally get drafted in the first round because they have to overcome the level of competition doubts. When they do, they are generally successful. Three of the last four Division I-AA QBs to get drafted in the first round took their team to the Super Bowl. Two won the Super Bowl, and McNair was two yards short of winning. That doesn't count Super Bowl winning Division I-AA QBs like Doug Williams and Kurt Warner because those guys didn't get drafted in the first round.

I'd love some feedback. It makes me defend my positions, and it opens my eyes to things I haven't seen or makes me step back and look at more film of a player.
    Last edited by HarveyWallbangers; 03-13-2016 at 01:51 AM.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson