Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers 2016 Offseason

So who determines which FA signing counts and which don't. Thrill me with your acumen.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    MOST of the free agents are left to be signed. And the prices are much better.
    The prices are better because the talent is worse. For the most part it's scrapheap guys, players on the wrong side of 30, injury plagued, bad character guys like Hardy and Aldon smith , etc. I am not seeing much left in the way of impact players at positions of need for the Packers. Sure they may pick up a guy or two. But they will be just guys. Filling up the roster not helping us win games.

[QUOTE=Patler;878565]No free agents left to be signed? Wow! I know I wasn't paying a great deal of attention last week, but I sure must have missed an awful lot of signings.

Who did Jared Cook sign with? I know many on here thought GB should go after him.
    How about Vernon Davis? Some still look at him as a lost opportunity last year. So he's gone now too?

I was speaking hyperbolically. Obviously there are people unsigned. Just not many worth a damn. I would love if Ted took a flyer on cook. Won't get my hopes up though.

[QUOTE=yetisnowman;878601]
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    No free agents left to be signed? Wow! I know I wasn't paying a great deal of attention last week, but I sure must have missed an awful lot of signings.

Who did Jared Cook sign with? I know many on here thought GB should go after him.
    How about Vernon Davis? Some still look at him as a lost opportunity last year. So he's gone now too?

I was speaking hyperbolically. Obviously there are people unsigned. Just not many worth a damn. I would love if Ted took a flyer on cook. Won't get my hopes up though.

FA TE Jared Cook

Cook was a complete non-factor last year, hauling in just 39 catches for 481 yards with zero touchdowns. The 28-year-old never lived up to his five-year, $35.11 million contract. Nearing age 29, Cook has gone 19 consecutive games without scoring a touchdown.

FA TE Vernon Davis:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent Vernon Davis is visiting the Redskins on Thursday.

Redskins GM Scot McCloughan drafted Davis in San Francisco, but this is not a great fit. The Redskins already have a primary pass catcher in Jordan Reed, and Davis does not offer much as a blocker. Davis' market has been quiet thus far
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=yetisnowman;878601]
    No free agents left to be signed? Wow! I know I wasn't paying a great deal of attention last week, but I sure must have missed an awful lot of signings.

Jared Cook is still a street FA.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post

Jared Cook is still a street FA.
    ...and therefore he doesn't "count" as a free agent, or so I have been told.

Blog Entries
    there are probably well over 100 Kuhn like FA talent out there still; not sure what there is to complain about. We all know TT does not play early. This is the time to celebrate more draft picks due to FA losses. Only the Ravens have more since the rules changed.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Has anyone discussed if Tolzien is gonna produce a comp pick next year? Cant recall reading if anybody has, so sorry if its been discussed. I know we all pretty much agree on most likely a 5th for Casey Hayward. Im guessing a 7th if anything. Could he net us a tradeable 7th perhaps?
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    Has anyone discussed if Tolzien is gonna produce a comp pick next year? Cant recall reading if anybody has, so sorry if its been discussed. I know we all pretty much agree on most likely a 5th for Casey Hayward. Im guessing a 7th if anything. Could he net us a tradeable 7th perhaps?
    Doubtful that Tolzien will bring a draft pick. I think this year the cutoff was nearly $3M/year. Players who signed contracts for less than that did not bring draft picks to their former clubs.

Ahh preciate ya Patler. That makes sense. Heck that could bring Casey's comp pick down then. He only got 3.1 mil per right?

Casey was 5 mil per year. Should be a 5th.

Doubtful that Tolzien will bring a draft pick. I think this year the cutoff was nearly $3M/year. Players who signed contracts for less than that did not bring draft picks to their former clubs.

I believe the NFL has instituted a new rule that says that if the guy who left your team underperforms, they take away a draft pick from you. Packers will have to give up a seventh if Tolzien can't carry the clipboard as if he's paying attention to the game.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Casey was 5 mil per year. Should be a 5th.
    Brain fart... Thanx for the correction Smuggler

James Jones told that the Packers are going with the young guys.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/372980751.html

Frank Bauer, Jones' agent, said he had discussions with the team to see if they would consider bringing his client back but was told that they were moving on.

"They're going to go with the young guys," Bauer said.

Jones bailed Thompson out of a huge hole after Nelson was lost for the season with a torn ACL suffered in the second exhibition game. After the New York Giants released him, Jones accepted a one-year deal, $870,000 minimum wage deal with the Packers.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    James Jones told that the Packers are going with the young guys.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/372980751.html
    This is the stuff that makes me scratch my head. They keep a guy like Peppers that the whole world can see the guy takes plays off and doesn't play hard all the time. Yet a guy like Jones that saved their ass last year and played better than many receivers in the league they have no interest in. The guy played hurt which most Packers players don't seem to be able to do. He played all out, which too many present players don't do. It's also ironic that stubby is on the Janis wagon now. Yet through much of the season last year he refused to put the guy on the field. Montgomery is not going to be the talent some seem to think he is. It's not a for sure thing that Jordy comes back as good as he was. Sure Jones is slow, but with the other receivers back he could be that redzone threat that dickrod will never be.

Too early to tell on Montgomery, just as it's too early to say anything about Jordy, beyond his rehab is going well. They have 6 WRs on the roster...Jones would be 7. Compared to the rest of WRs, Jones is older, slower, and has no upside. No need to keep him, unless there was another rash of injuries.
    Peppers got pressure and sacks. He's got one more year and GB doesn't have a reliable replacement for him. I'm ok with keeping Peppers and not Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    This is the stuff that makes me scratch my head. They keep a guy like Peppers that the whole world can see the guy takes plays off and doesn't play hard all the time. Yet a guy like Jones that saved their ass last year and played better than many receivers in the league they have no interest in. The guy played hurt which most Packers players don't seem to be able to do. He played all out, which too many present players don't do. It's also ironic that stubby is on the Janis wagon now. Yet through much of the season last year he refused to put the guy on the field. Montgomery is not going to be the talent some seem to think he is. It's not a for sure thing that Jordy comes back as good as he was. Sure Jones is slow, but with the other receivers back he could be that redzone threat that dickrod will never be.
    He is an insurance policy at best and his limitations became apparent after Game 5. They need to develop a new option rather than keep him on the bench. If they had four significantly better right now, keeping him as five like Donald Driver would make more sense.
    Last edited by pbmax; 03-22-2016 at 10:25 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Now a D lineman seems inevitable. But unsure of NT or 3-5 tech.

Jersey Al - GBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 33m33 minutes ago
    At @CheeseheadTV: McCarthy: Datone Jones Moving Outside http://bit.ly/1ZqvIUA #Packers

The team is already 6 deep at WR, and Thompson is likely to spend another draft pick on a WR as well. Why the hell would you bring Jones back? The only reason we did last year was because of a rash of injuries. Jones played well early in the season, when defenses left him alone. Once they paid a little more attention to him and saw he could only do a couple things adequately, he disappeared.

James Jones is JAG at this point. Get over it already. There are 100 WRs in the league who are capable of putting up "decent" numbers with Rodgers throwing them the rock.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    You and I agree that Jones was a good Packer player, but the Packers are deep at WR going into this season. One thing that was made crystal clear last year is that they don't have a lot of speed at WR, and Jones is not getting any younger. If anything, they should either draft a WR like Mike Thomas from Southern Miss. (very interesting prospect) and add to the competition. Plus, your 5th and 6th WR's generally have to play special teams, which James is not going to do at this point in his career. It is a game of replacement as they say. Every player knows this, and every fan ultimately learns this. I agree with TT that it's a young man's game. On the flip-side, Jones is not terrible. He's a good pro player, a good person from extraordinary circumstances who made good with his football career. Unfortunately, the Packers don't need him anymore. It happens.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan