Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Harrell thinks he tore his ACL

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy
    I'm not even sure that red's point was the number of games, but, rather the frequency.

Like Cullen Jenkins, the guy is always banged up except for 2005, it goes back to high school.

I wonder if the guys body just can't take the weight necessary for him to play DE? Not sure.

Cullen is hurt again too. Guy is always banged up. Tough SOB always plays through it if he can, but something isn't right, you know?

So if someone said that Jenkins is always hurt, I wouldn't disagree with them, but I do admire Jenkins for playing through it as much as he had.
    Ya, I can agree with that. But I think linemen, especially DL are banged up every year. They get hit from all different directions. Pickett is always hobbling by the end of the year. Jenkins has played through some stuff, but not always real well. A couple years ago, (last D coaching group) the coaches implied he let little injuries affect him too much.

Some guys have chronic problems. With Harrell, it has been a series of different things.

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy
    I'm not even sure that red's point was the number of games, but, rather the frequency.

Like Cullen Jenkins, the guy is always banged up except for 2005, it goes back to high school.

I wonder if the guys body just can't take the weight necessary for him to play DE? Not sure.

Cullen is hurt again too. Guy is always banged up. Tough SOB always plays through it if he can, but something isn't right, you know?

So if someone said that Jenkins is always hurt, I wouldn't disagree with them, but I do admire Jenkins for playing through it as much as he had.
    The problem with JSO's list for frequency is that all players have a list like that. The real questions are 1) did they play and 2) did they play well?

Harrell has had both injuries he couldn't play through and those he did. The only piece of info that looks remotely interesting in the JSO piece is the fact that his back had bothered him in High School. I would like to know if it was the same kind of thing and if it kept him from playing then.

Otherwise, the list is simply a litany of typical injuries with two non typical ones thrown in. Not winnowing down the list with more detail is simply goading folks into an emotional reaction.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Anybody rewatch the play? Harrell was playing what amounts to RG in the FG formation, and a big pile of players came crashing down on his left leg. Harrell had stonewalled the guy in front of him, but the Eagles bullrushed Brett Goode and Goode and a couple of Eagles landed on Harrell's knee. It didn't look good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    Anybody rewatch the play? Harrell was playing what amounts to RG in the FG formation, and a big pile of players came crashing down on his left leg. Harrell had stonewalled the guy in front of him, but the Eagles bullrushed Brett Goode and Goode and a couple of Eagles landed on Harrell's knee. It didn't look good.

I did.

(See my post on the previous page.)

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack

I did.

Funny. I missed that post, and I basically stated the same thing you did.

Anyone else notice how poor a turn our defense took after Harrell came out? I would say, that according to well established Bigby-logic, that Harrell was the most important player on this defense and we are hereby fucked.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Does anyone else think that a potential new CBA will keep Harrell on the Packers next year? If the schedule is bumped to 18 games and roster limits get extended I think he has a decent chance of getting another shot.

It makes one wonder what the NFL record is for games/seasons spent on the IR? Harrell would have to be closing in on that one. Isn't it Indy that has a good safety that has been on IR more than he has played?
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by swede
    It makes one wonder what the NFL record is for games/seasons spent on the IR?
    I've wondered too:

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Cheese & Beer Rat All-Pro MichiganPackerFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641
    I understand that some people feel this way, but I still feel bad for him. If he came across as a douche/asshole I would feel the way you do, but he always came across to me as a hard-working kid who couldn't shake his injuries. He also seemed very self-aware as far as how he was viewed.
    Completely agree. Well stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz
    I feel really awful for the guy. As a couple others have pointed out, when the guy did get on the field, he was effective. I also don't care for the way the JSO dismissed the injury as unimportant in its article on injuries from the game.

The guy was in the rotation. Imagine having him and Neal as backups this season. That would m ake for a powerful offensive line and help greatly the defensive backfield. It was a piece of bad luck for Harrell and the team. Not as bad as injuries to other players; nonetheless, it was important.

I'm going to be in the minority, probably, but I'm going to agree with gbgary and say put the guy on injured reserve, and bring him back next year. You have very little to lose.
    I really hope he is able to rehab and gets a shot in training camp. I feel like honest hard work should be rewarded with opportunity.

Blog Entries

I did.

Funny. I missed that post, and I basically stated the same thing you did.
    Listen to me you mf'ers.

Every once in awhile, I know where the bear shit in the buckwheat.

It's OK it was you, Harve,

You are a tenured professor on here.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand
    It makes one wonder what the NFL record is for games/seasons spent on the IR?
    I've wondered too:

Is that Eddie Lee?
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Every once in awhile, I know where the bear shit in the buckwheat.
    Me too. I probably stepped in it before you got there.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    It makes one wonder what the NFL record is for games/seasons spent on the IR? Harrell would have to be closing in on that one. Isn't it Indy that has a good safety that has been on IR more than he has played?
    Bob Sanders. Has played in only half of the possible games and I don't believe he has ever played a full 16 game schedule. The most was 14, if I remember correctly.

Senior Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by channtheman
    Bob Sanders. Has played in only half of the possible games and I don't believe he has ever played a full 16 game schedule. The most was 14, if I remember correctly.
    He won't play a full schedule this year either. He is out indefinitely after suffering a torn biceps in week 1.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5572228
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    There is a misconception out there that Harrell was hurt a lot in college. He really wasn't. In spite of playing only three games as a senior, he played 35 college games. He had a broken ankle as a freshman, but that was about it until the torn biceps.
    Bump. Found it.

35 college games. So much for "hurt his entire college career and never played".
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Harrell's injury woes date all the way to high school, where he battled shin splints and had a bad lower back. At Tennessee, Harrell underwent surgery for shin splints on his right leg in 2003 and missed more than half of spring practice that year. That August, Harrell broke a bone in his right ankle and missed the first five games of the season.

Harrell missed two games in 2004 with a right ankle sprain, and then went injury free in 2005. But in Tennessee's second game of the 2006 season, Harrell suffered a torn biceps injury. He tried to play the following week against Florida, and then opted for season-ending surgery.

Harrell didn't take part in any contact drills during Green Bay's post-draft minicamps and organized team activities last year because of that same biceps injury. Then he missed five games during the 2007 regular season with an ankle injury.
    He played 35 games. But he did suffer a number of injuries.

Blog Entries
    hated that pick from day one
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    hated that pick from day one
    You hate most of our picks from day one. Since a majority of picks don't turn out, you're bound to be right a lot of the time.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I wonder what the hit to miss rate is for even the top-tier NFL teams.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan