Thread: running backs

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Montgomery had 9 rushes for 60 yards (6.6 ypc) and 10 receptions for 66 yards. I don't know how many receptions and receiving yards came from which position but that's damn good production for a RB or WR - and intriguing flexibility to exploit mismatches to boot. Yeah it sucks that both Lacy and Starks have gone down at the same time but I swear some of you guys aren't happy unless you can bitch about something - real or not. The two workhorses both go down at the same time and they get 126 all-purpose yards from the third guy - while the fourth guy goes down too?

It doesn't get much better than that from a roster management and depth of talent standpoint - and people whine about it because they've pigeon-holed him as a receiver...

He's built like a running back, and we've seen him punish would-be tacklers with the ball in his hands...

Le'Veone Bell - 6'0, 220 4.6 40
    Ty Montgomery - 6'0 220 4.55 40
    Lesean McCoy - 5'11 208 4.45 40
    Melvin Gordon - 6'1 207 4.45 40

I bet if you averaged the measurables of all NFL backs today you'd get Monty's size but a tad less speed and a lot less pass catching ability.

EDIT - This year's rookie running back class at the combine averaged 5'11, 221 lbs. and a 4.56 40.

He's only going to get better as a cut-and-go runner seeing running lanes, and the fact that he's exceptional catching it - for a running back our of the backfield - makes him a potential serious weapon moving forward.

I'd say this hybrid role is here to stay - as long as Monty's around. That's how he's built to be utilized. If he can develop more vision, decisiveness and timing with the line in the run game - early signs suggest he already has a good bit of it (as much or more than Starks) he could add a missing dimension. I'd say he needs a complimentary power runner but he's off to a pretty promising start.
    Last edited by vince; 10-25-2016 at 06:01 AM.