Thread: Pete Prisco's Team Grades for 2017 Draft

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Unfortunately, this theme of Thompson evolving has become a thing. Here is Mike Freeman doing a survey of the greatest, recent, hits.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...die-in-the-nfl

Just a couple things beyond what vince and gary wrote.

1. Its became clear that the solution to the Packer Offensive woes was a monster TE. It never before seemed that important, but against that man under cover 2, they needed him. Cook was a FA signing in 2016, which already runs counter to the narrative that Freeman and Spoon are pushing. Had his agent not tried to weasel a better deal at the last moment, he would have been resigned in a VERY Ted like move.

While Cook's agent was screwing around, Bennett came available and wanted to play for a winning team and I don't think his contract demand was at the far reaches of comprehension given his 2016 year. Pretty reasonable, slightly above Cook, for a more well rounded guy. Since he was replacing a FA signing himself, very Ted move for this position of sudden need. By sudden, I mean, prior to Cook, I would have gone to the mattresses arguing that TE was not that integral to McCarthy's offense. I was obviously wrong. Ted knew he needed a talent there and signed one like he did the year before.

Cook was the test case that TE was as vitally important as a top flight WR, as I bet M3 had been pointing out for some time.

2. DBs. The Defense had to be redone, obviously. Shields wasn't coming back and even if you agree with me that each of the young corners could become a #1 (Randall, Rollins, Gunter), the 2016 year made it clear that was no lock and even if one stepped forward, depth was a problem. Its not the first time Ted has remade a position in a short time period (QB, CB, ILB, TE, RB).

So he was going to collect DBs this offseason. House was a unique example of a prepared player available and ready for a bargain. Like resigning Jones after Jordy was hurt.

3. I do think Ted made one concession to his roster needing some retooling. Mid-range FAs. I suspect it was possible because he lost both offensive lineman in FA (Tretter and Lang) and did not expect to. He signed not only House at modest rates, but also Kendricks and Evans. Evans was need based, but I bet Kendricks was a coaching request. To have enough starter quality TEs (two plus backup) to reliably trot out 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR) all season long to entice teams out of nickel. Or punish them if they stay in it.

But #3 is a long way from revolutionizing Ted's approach. He had a boatload of money (more than the normal boatload) and went shopping. If he returned to non-FA form after a successful 2017-18 season, I would not be surprised.
    Last edited by pbmax; 05-02-2017 at 09:54 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.