Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
Me either. I no longer see hope for improvement as long as he's the DC. I have a sense there will be a change this year. Reading between the lines, I sense less support from MM for the defense in his press conferences.
He said too many mistakes. So he is seeing what everyone else is seeing. I think there is a fundamental mismatch between draft and develop and Capers system. But its still not been resolved 8 years in.

These guys, despite public proclamations of fan experts, are not idiots. They have tried to make it palatable to the young ones. But it ain't working.

Someone mentioned Whitt as someone who has looked both like a genius for developing players and terrible at getting them to coordinate back there. But Whitt doesn't get to choose the scheme or the adjustments. I suspect he can still develop a corner (King was playing fine for a rookie with a bum shoulder) but cannot remove the fundamental complexity of Capers multiple coverages behind his multiple attempts to generate a pass rush.

The weird thing is that a new guy would inherit a D that will have a lot of young vets starting next year. They have drafted a lot of defenders high recently.