View Poll Results: Who should be the next GM?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ted Thompson

1 3.57%
  • Eliot Wolfe

6 21.43%
  • Brian Gutekunst

7 25.00%
  • Alonzo Highsmith

0 0%
  • John Dorsey

1 3.57%
  • John Schneider

7 25.00%
  • Reggie McKenzie

0 0%
  • Other

6 21.43%
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should be the next GM?

People keep bleating that Ted did not sign enough FAs or use other means of player acquisition. Who is more likely to break that mold, Ted's chosen personnel cronies or someone with a far superior and deep background fixing problems?
    Unsubstantiated speculation

I think they'll find a way to keep one of the scouts and if it's Wolf, he is the GM in waiting. Eliot is just too young.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Just curious, if Ball gets the gig and the first thing he does is sign a big name FA or two, what will you Ball haters say? I assume, not much. Then go on to the next bitch-fest topic.

Nobody knows jack shit what any of these men will do if given the GM title. But they've all witnessed the fan base turn on Ted, and have also witnessed the players taking up for Ted. My guess is all three of these underlings have watched and learned and I doubt any of them will be ALL draft and develop. Ted has proven D&D is great for an old team to get young and out of salary cap hell. He's also proven, you gotta do more to stay at the top.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

PB! Can you get the McGinn article today? Through Twitter searches I have gathered that it says something to the effect of MM will quit if Ball gets the job. Can you post it here?

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I would look under the hood at some front office talent of the Patriots

I know a lot of folks believe Ball is gonna get the job I hope it is Gutekunst instead.

Somebody get the McGinn article that they're talking about on the radio where MM allegedly told staff he'd quit if it's Ball.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    Just curious, if Ball gets the gig and the first thing he does is sign a big name FA or two, what will you Ball haters say? I assume, not much. Then go on to the next bitch-fest topic.

Nobody knows jack shit what any of these men will do if given the GM title. But they've all witnessed the fan base turn on Ted, and have also witnessed the players taking up for Ted. My guess is all three of these underlings have watched and learned and I doubt any of them will be ALL draft and develop. Ted has proven D&D is great for an old team to get young and out of salary cap hell. He's also proven, you gotta do more to stay at the top.
    This post nails it 100%. Nobody has any idea what the new GM will do. No one was in the meetings to hear what has been said and who was pushing for what.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    This post nails it 100%. Nobody has any idea what the new GM will do. No one was in the meetings to hear what has been said and who was pushing for what.
    Get Wolff on the job! He'll release the tapes!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Here's the McGinn article.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPac...bsite/ds8dks1/

Also, PFT is reporting the Packers are trying to interview Eric DeCosta.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Somebody get the McGinn article that they're talking about on the radio where MM allegedly told staff he'd quit if it's Ball.
    yup. heard that. he doesn't want to be handed a sub-par roster again due to cheapness and talent evaluation. he all but said that in his presser. he wants a real partnership this time. he doesn't want to deal with all the bullets he has to take due to things he doesn't have some control over. ted handed him a bad hand and wouldn't stand up there and be accountable. Ball, who MM evidently isn't all that close to anymore, is a known commodity in the building and MM doesn't see them on the same page. he spoke about "a good fit" with the next gm.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Decosta has me greatly intrigued

But for the same reason Wolf and Gute have me intrigued.

For some one this forum it seems that's good enough to 'X' em out. Thats bad business imo
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Here's the McGinn article.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPac...bsite/ds8dks1/

Also, PFT is reporting the Packers are trying to interview Eric DeCosta.
    Ozzie Tree:

Phil Savage is from the Ozzie tree - didn't fare well in Cleveland, but who did?

George Kokinis didn't fare any better and was removed by security after a 1-7 start in 2009. No one knew at the time, but 1-7 was an outstanding record for a new GM with the Browns.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    yup. heard that. he doesn't want to be handed a sub-par roster again due to cheapness and talent evaluation. he all but said that in his presser. he wants a real partnership this time. he doesn't want to deal with all the bullets he has to take due to things he doesn't have some control over. ted handed him a bad hand and wouldn't stand up there and be accountable. Ball, who MM evidently isn't all that close to anymore, is a known commodity in the building and MM doesn't see them on the same page. he spoke about "a good fit" with the next gm.
    If true, fire his butt. Not your job bub.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Ozzie Tree:

Phil Savage is from the Ozzie tree - didn't fare well in Cleveland, but who did?

George Kokinis didn't fare any better and was removed by security after a 1-7 start in 2009. No one knew at the time, but 1-7 was an outstanding record for a new GM with the Browns.
    I have always wondered why Phil Savage never got another shot. Many used to think he was the brains behind the Ravens operation that always seemed to draft so well.

In somewhat related news, the Vikings would not let the Packers interview George Paton.

They obviously don't follow the dictates of Wolf-ism, which as espoused on this board means let them go anywhere, even in the Division.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

So, what does everyone think of the McGinn article? Is he just selling subscriptions and a load of bunk, or do we think there's some accuracy to it?

There's also this:

https://twitter.com/ESPNMadison/stat...38185691254784

Wilde: I had also heard that @AaronRodgers12 doesn't like the idea, at all, of Russ Ball being the GM.
    The reality is Aaron can pick the GM if he wants. Seriously. All he has to say is "this person is the GM or I'm not resigning" and it's a done deal IMO. You let LeBron or Jordan pick their staff because they're transcendent players in a player's league.

I have always wondered why Phil Savage never got another shot. Many used to think he was the brains behind the Ravens operation that always seemed to draft so well.
    One of those guys - I think Kokinis - went back as an assistant to Ozzie. May still be there. Don't need both. Cleveland is a career-ender.

McGinn tweeted that new structure will be Ball as GM and Gutekunst as EVP of player personnel.

In other news, Gruden is all but signed in Oakland. One of the changes is an EVP in charge of personnel over McKenzie plus another young personnel guy.

Reggie might be in play.

PB, do you think the stuff about MM leaving to be true?

PB, do you think the stuff about MM leaving to be true?
    No idea. But I am intrigued as hell about whether people inside the building are just paranoid like posters about Ball or they know something like some inside people did about John Jones.

I just do not get the loyalty to Wolf the Younger and Gutekunst. Its flat weird. People recognize that Ron Wolf made as many, if not more, mistakes than Thompson, right?

You don't get to cherry pick character traits. You get them all.