View Poll Results: Who should be the next GM?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ted Thompson

1 3.57%
  • Eliot Wolfe

6 21.43%
  • Brian Gutekunst

7 25.00%
  • Alonzo Highsmith

0 0%
  • John Dorsey

1 3.57%
  • John Schneider

7 25.00%
  • Reggie McKenzie

0 0%
  • Other

6 21.43%
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should be the next GM?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    McGinn tweeted that new structure will be Ball as GM and Gutekunst as EVP of player personnel.

In other news, Gruden is all but signed in Oakland. One of the changes is an EVP in charge of personnel over McKenzie plus another young personnel guy.

Reggie might be in play.
    Reggie = Peter Principle. He was great as director of Pro-Personnel. GM: dismal.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I just do not get the loyalty to Wolf the Younger and Gutekunst. Its flat weird. People recognize that Ron Wolf made as many, if not more, mistakes than Thompson, right?
    It's the same phenomenon as the backup QB being popular. The problems you don't know about yet are easily ignored in favor of the promise of Belichickesque perfection.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

McGinn tweeted that new structure will be Ball as GM and Gutekunst as EVP of player personnel.
    that's his guess? Or does he know something?

So by process of elimination and not enough info, something about Ball raises a red flag to people. Could be cap guy deal. Could be that he is linked to Murphy too much (corporate rather than football guy). Could be that Florio was right a couple of years ago and M3 is tired of too few free agents and limited say on final roster.

This is why you let the new GM pick a coach.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    that's his guess? Or does he know something?

I would call it speculation based on a couple of sources. Partial had a reddit link to the actual article, I am going off the Tweet.

Bob McGinn @BobMcGinn
    At http://bobmcginnfootball.com : Looks like it'll be GM Ball-Exec VP Gutekunst in Green Bay, leaving McCarthy to make decision whether he wants to continue coaching #Packers or not.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

just heard Reggie McKenzie turned down an interview request with the Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    So, what does everyone think of the McGinn article? Is he just selling subscriptions and a load of bunk, or do we think there's some accuracy to it?
    According to the article, McCarthy is interviewing GM candidates with Murphy. I find it implausible, if his feelings are so strong that he would quit if Ball is hired, that he would not make these feelings known to Murphy.

Murphy then would have the choice to hire someone that his coach is vehemently opposed to, or hire someone else. We'll see next week. My feelings are that Murphy would not hire Ball in that case. If he hires Ball, the article is a shameless attempt to fire up the faithful.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    just heard Reggie McKenzie turned down an interview request with the Packers.
    Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    According to the article, McCarthy is interviewing GM candidates with Murphy. I find it implausible, if his feelings are so strong that he would quit if Ball is hired, that he would not make these feelings known to Murphy.

Murphy then would have the choice to hire someone that his coach is vehemently opposed to, or hire someone else. We'll see next week. My feelings are that Murphy would not hire Ball in that case. If he hires Ball, the article is a shameless attempt to fire up the faithful.
    This is dumb. The coach shouldn't have that much power.

"In fact, McCarthy told members of his staff Thursday that if Ball became GM he planned to leave Green Bay for another job, according to a source."
    members.

That means more than one. That's damn interesting. He could be lying to sell subs, but then his credibility is shot. Maybe Bob plans to close up shop after the draft and he is trying to sell a bunch of subs before it all ends? Who knows.

I agree. If the coach is truly an employee of the GM, why would he be included in the interview panel? Maybe because Murphy has no intent to allow the GM to release McCarthy from his contract.

In any case, if that rumor were true, Ball would not be hired.

My view is this:

If the rumors are true, then why risk it with Ball? Why roll the dice with unknowns when you can pay a small, one-time price, and get a known commodity in Schneider. Just pony up a third day pick and get the job done. Maybe his ceiling is known and it's just "very good" and not "excellent". So what? Get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    members.

That means more than one. That's damn interesting. He could be lying to sell subs, but then his credibility is shot. Maybe Bob plans to close up shop after the draft and he is trying to sell a bunch of subs before it all ends? Who knows.
    No. It means one source. "according to a source".

Reggie might just have decided to stay put and not avoid GB

Jim Trotter @JimTrotter_NFL
    My understanding is that GM Reggie McKenzie’s role won’t be diminished with the arrival of Gruden. Proof: McKenzie declined a Green Bay request to interview for Packers GM job. #Raiders

Most would not print an inflammatory article with one source.

So what you're all saying is if we hire Ball to be our new GM, McCarthy would leave? If that happens then we'll surely lure Bill Belichick away from his "unhappy home" with NE. Right...?

Quote Originally Posted by OS PA View Post
    So what you're all saying is if we hire Ball to be our new GM, McCarthy would leave? If that happens then we'll surely lure Bill Belichick away from his "unhappy home" with NE. Right...?
    Are you the source of that information?

it's about the "fit."

belichick, carroll, do you think those guys don't have personnel input? belichick has all the personnel power. i think MM wants, and should, have more power in that area.

This seems like a tough position for any new gm. A head coach wanting more power and the former gm, a well known iron fisted control freak, still with the team "advising".