View Poll Results: Who should be the next GM?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ted Thompson

1 3.57%
  • Eliot Wolfe

6 21.43%
  • Brian Gutekunst

7 25.00%
  • Alonzo Highsmith

0 0%
  • John Dorsey

1 3.57%
  • John Schneider

7 25.00%
  • Reggie McKenzie

0 0%
  • Other

6 21.43%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Who should be the next GM?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Murphy had to solidify MM's status so MM can get on with hiring a DC. No candidates from the outside were going to want to come here to be DC without knowing who the HC is going to be.
    No ...it was easy:

Mark Murphy had to see it all as anyone should have that loves the Green Bay Packers.

FIRE MM and Dom Capers and if he needed to be somehow Thanked reassign TT and simply and effectively hire that New GM and allow him to hire his HC and Coaching Staff.

It was a 'No Brainer' easy peasy way to get it all on track in 2018 or a fresh start. The timing after the debacle the last 7 years and especially after 2017 was PERFECT.

Now it's a complete mess.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade of complaints and absolute assurance they have the answer, but has anyone noticed that all the former Packer GMs, you know, the one's who sign free agents and thought Ted's insistence on treading very carefully with other teams players was a little extreme, have worse records overall than he does?

And that two are stuck in the "good team has no more top 10 picks" loop that Thompson has been working on for 12 years? The third was fired for cap reasons?

Does it occur to any of you that this isn't that much that separates these guys?

Does it occur to you that assuming Ball won't sign FAs because Ted high fives him twice is kinda guesswork?

Does it occur to anyone that the key to success is a little luck and making the most of what you have on hand. Which means Ted's greatest failure wasn't a lack of a 2nd SB, it was not getting on same page with Dom or forcing M3 to fire him?

And that the new guy will have all the same challenges AND more?

And that the odds are that the Packers will now be worse off, because they have been so much better off than the rest of the League?

If it turns out that Murphy did all this to knock over the dominoes to Rodgers next contract, keep MM around, get new GM that M3 and AR like better, he will have single handedly made the worst decision since Forrest Gregg got a contract extension and more power?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Nope. People against having a cap guy in charge should REALLY be upset about a HC with personnel authority.

It works out far, far less. For every Belichick, there is Jeff Fisher, Chip Kelly, Mike Sherman and Nick Saban.

AGREE; although I'd consider most coaches very good judges of who to go after in free agency
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I know a lot of folks believe Ball is gonna get the job I hope it is Gutekunst instead.
    I'd be happy with him too
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade of complaints and absolute assurance they have the answer, but has anyone noticed that all the former Packer GMs, you know, the one's who sign free agents and thought Ted's insistence on treading very carefully with other teams players was a little extreme, have worse records overall than he does?

And that two are stuck in the "good team has no more top 10 picks" loop that Thompson has been working on for 12 years? The third was fired for cap reasons?

Does it occur to any of you that this isn't that much that separates these guys?

Does it occur to you that assuming Ball won't sign FAs because Ted high fives him twice is kinda guesswork?

Does it occur to anyone that the key to success is a little luck and making the most of what you have on hand. Which means Ted's greatest failure wasn't a lack of a 2nd SB, it was not getting on same page with Dom or forcing M3 to fire him?

And that the new guy will have all the same challenges AND more?

And that the odds are that the Packers will now be worse off, because they have been so much better off than the rest of the League?

If it turns out that Murphy did all this to knock over the dominoes to Rodgers next contract, keep MM around, get new GM that M3 and AR like better, he will have single handedly made the worst decision since Forrest Gregg got a contract extension and more power?
    I still believe that any GM style issues and performance issues set to the side:

Ted Thompson didn't look to be healthy. That very likely TT didn't deserve the stress of the GM's job if in fact failing health was a TRUTH and therefore a solid reason to dismiss him as the Packer GM.

A.) Will Packers President and CEO Mark Murphy select Russ Ball as the next Packer GM?

I don't know.

B.) The Rumour and MM leaving as Packer HC; if Russ Ball becomes the next Packer GM? Why !? This one is puzzling.

Wouldn't it have been then Packer GM TT (and loyalty to MM) and Packer Russ Ball (Vice President of Football Administration / Player Finance) that negotiated that new extension to MM's Contract to include the 2019 Season?

I thought about this possibility and Mike McCarthy and his 'own skin':

Maybe, Mike McCarthy expected a longer Extension beyond the 2019 Season and Russ Ball vetoed that? Mike McCarthy's Irish temper kicks in.

That possibility aside.

What about MM wanting a more 'all in approach' (ie using FA and Trades etc.) from Packer Football Operations and pup the TOOLS support to maximize The obvious and shrinking window of opportunity having Aaron Rodgers, generally accepted now as the NFL's Finest Player.

MM and Aaron Rodgers are certainly by all common sense and REPORTS on the same page there.

Obviously Ted Thompson wasn't getting that done and the Packer Defense going consistently South. It appears that Mike McCarthy might use that as his defense and retaining Dom Capers for over the Top like Shawn Slocum, far too long, until it was as easy as 1-2-3 that after this 2017 Season MM had to FIRE Dom Capers..

C.) Could Russ Ball be efficient as the New Packer GM?

If Mark Murphy elects to promote him as the next Packer GM he would certainly have to think so.

What do any of you Packerrats think?

See the thread I created on Russ Ball last night; to help Y'all analyze that.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

https://t.co/QdiTrgNmzj

Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky
    From the story on John Schneider is this about how the interview process has gone so far:
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries

From the story on John Schneider is this about how the interview process has gone so far:

I have heard nothing on John Schneider...............is there any news there ????

I wonder if that's the same "source" that contributed to McGinn's article?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I have heard nothing on John Schneider...............is there any news there ????
    Didn't Seattle block Schneider from interviewing with Murphy? Now the only way he'd come is if we make a trade. I'd wager those clowns would demand a 1st round pick and I for one do not want us to do that now that we have a chance to draft higher than we've had in eons.

There is nothing here that surprises me.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...l-be-in-works/

SeahawksSports

Seahawks deny Packers permission to talk to GM John Schneider, but that may not be the end of the story

Originally published January 6, 2018 at 10:44 am Updated January 6, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Didn't Seattle block Schneider from interviewing with Murphy? Now the only way he'd come is if we make a trade. I'd wager those clowns would demand a 1st round pick and I for one do not want us to do that now that we have a chance to draft higher than we've had in eons.
    Not when Schneider's track record isn't that great lately.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

AGREE; although I'd consider most coaches very good judges of who to go after in free agency
    Fit in scheme, yes. How much left in tank or attitude? Only if they coached them.

They asked and Seattle said no. But Murphy could ask Goodell to adjudicate if Schneider has final 53 roster authority.

If not, then he can interview should he choose. The only reason I believe this to be an option now is the he and McCarthy were close personally.

Seattle and GB, if they think Goodell might rule either way, might come to terms on a pick first. But there is a lot of incentive for Seattle to ask for the moon and wait it out.

John McClain @McClain_on_NFL
    Brian Gutekunst is one of 6 possible GM candidates for the Texans to replace Rick Smith. He'll be in Houston for his interview Sunday. He was hired by Ron Wolf and worked for Ted Thompson. Gutekunst is a candidate to replace Thompson.

They asked and Seattle said no. But Murphy could ask Goodell to adjudicate if Schneider has final 53 roster authority.

If not, then he can interview should he choose. The only reason I believe this to be an option now is the he and McCarthy were close personally.

Seattle and GB, if they think Goodell might rule either way, might come to terms on a pick first. But there is a lot of incentive for Seattle to ask for the moon and wait it out.
    a trade for Schneider would be the absolute best thing for Green Bay. the fact that sea knows he wants out might make things happen. fingers crossed for this!!

Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso
    If Green Bay offers Schneider control over 53-man roster — which I don’t believe he has with #Seahawks — Seattle can’t deny this.

The guy is a legitimate reporters (or, at least works for legitimate outlets). Whether he knows what he is talking about here is anyone's guess.

BTW, there is a feeling in Seattle that Schneider's best drafts were with Scot McCloughan in the room.

Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso
    If Green Bay offers Schneider control over 53-man roster — which I don’t believe he has with #Seahawks — Seattle can’t deny this.

The guy is a legitimate reporters (or, at least works for legitimate outlets). Whether he knows what he is talking about here is anyone's guess.

BTW, there is a feeling in Seattle that Schneider's best drafts were with Scot McCloughan in the room.
    I'd consider Scot for GM too. Maybe.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    If I am Russ Ball and I lose BG or EW, I hire Scot to run college scouting and pipe in on the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    A lot of talent but a lot of baggage there.

But if you're going to be a practicing alcoholic, Wisconsin is the place to be.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.