Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
Ahh so you have the nostalgia factor for EP1. I get that. I have the same thing for Empire and Jedi. EP1 to me was made for kids and marketed to adults.

Also midichlorians. Completely unforgivable “fuck you” to the original 3.
I've never been able to summon the righteous disgust for midichlorians that some fans do. I suppose they see it as a retcon that spoils our previous concept of the Force and somehow cheapens the mysticism of it with a crappy science explanation. I don't actually see anything incompatible about it. The Force is an energy field surrounding all living things. Midichlorians are the force sensitive critters that reside in the cells of all living things and work as a source of revelation to the contemplative Jedi or whatever. The Force as a fantastical energy is totally conserved so where is the problem?

In JW Rinzler's The Making of Star Wars: The Definative Story Behind the Original Film Lucas is shown to have had the concept and language of midichlorians back when writing the original Trilogy. For the story of Anakin its pretty useful to have a device for measuring the potential of a force user. I liked the idea of there being a sort of Jedi library of Alexandria that was lost with the death of the order. In those prequels seeing Jedi in robes doing things we'd never seen them do before and knowing things like how to measure Midichlorians really shows what a Jedi dark age Luke inhabits.