Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mike McCarthy: Brett Hundley Wasn’t Prepared

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    The thing is, the Packers hate to give guys opportunities after they're drafted. Fat Mike would rather give opportunities to undrafted rookie WRs than a guy they spent a 7th rounder on 3 years ago.

Rodgers hates having weapons to throw to also and basically has no say in who plays WR. If only they would give Uncle Rico.....I mean Janice a chance, he would be Randy Moss 2.0
    What's so special about Allison? Sloths like Allison are a dime a dozen. Speed is awesome in reality and on Madden, as Al Davis used to say.

Play Allison, and chances are he's gonna end up fumbling away your season. Play Janis, and he catches that slant and, via his awesome speed, takes it to the house.

Again, McCarthy's dullness was the reason Janis rarely played offense in 2017.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    janis also has the brain the size of a walnut and couldn't run a route to save his life
    In the midst of so much nonsense; up steps the Man and 'his break the ice' humour.

Thanks for that red.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    But you can't deny that MM has earned the nickname stubby. He stuck with Hawk through that imbeciles inability to take on a blocker forever. MM is human. He gets opinions on guys and has trouble breaking from that opinion. Overall it has benefited him, but sometimes he is wrong.
    That describes 'the Cool Aid Drinkers ' on this Forum.

We can discuss anything but ** the key ** to Packers and the future and winning a spot in the Super Bowl.

That ** key ** is Packer Nation seeing the Packer Brass say a polite Bye Bye to what's obviously 'a floundering like a beached whale' Head Coach Mike McCarthy.

It all must be 'his EXIT', as Packer Nation's REAL Best Plan.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Play Janis, and he catches that slant and, via his awesome speed, takes it to the house.
    Unless there is a LB in the vicinity. Then he's going to fall down after jumping.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Unless there is a LB in the vicinity. Then he's going to fall down after jumping.
    Janis is 6-4, 220. A LB ain't gonna scare him.

Yo pb, you're on twitter. Check out Janis' most recent tweet. Apparently, he changes his car's oil himself. What a stud.

What's so special about Allison? Sloths like Allison are a dime a dozen. Speed is awesome in reality and on Madden, as Al Davis used to say.

Play Allison, and chances are he's gonna end up fumbling away your season. Play Janis, and he catches that slant and, via his awesome speed, takes it to the house.

Speed isn't the be all and end all. I suspect it isn't McCarthy who is the dull one here...

Huh? My sarcasm was pretty obvious. Allison is a nobody and getting tons of time ahead of Uncle Rico. That says about all you should need to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar

Yo pb, you're on twitter. Check out Janis' most recent tweet. Apparently, he changes his car's oil himself. What a stud.
    Is that you Jeff? Seriously, I'm not sure I remember a packer so polarizing. I mean, some members of this board question his brain size, most question his ability. What's next, his penis size? I have always been a fan of giving individuals the benefit of the doubt, and then seeing what they can do on the field. I've always been intrigued by his physical attributes, but me thinks his time has passed. I think some other team will pay him more than the Packers think he is worth. Opinion from an old guy in northern wisconsin where it will be May before you can do anything fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Huh? My sarcasm was pretty obvious. Allison is a nobody and getting tons of time ahead of Uncle Rico. That says about all you should need to know.
    The 69ners, with McCarthy's blessing, took the game manager Alex Smith over the cocky Aaron Rodgers. That doesn't mean Smith is better than Rodgers. It means the Niners' decision makers were incompetent.

McCarthy's decision to play Allison over Janis is proof of McCarthy's incompetence. Janis shoulda played a tons last season on offense, especially since Nelson looked washed up, Cobb looked like an underachiever, Allison was a waste of space (not to mention, a fumble waiting to happen), Adams was often in the conclusion protocols, and Marty B quit on the Packers. Granted, Hundley was an abomination, but he had a rapport with Janis, a bomb threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Speed isn't the be all and end all. I suspect it isn't McCarthy who is the dull one here...
    "Speed isn't everything; it's the only thing." - Al Davis

Sure, plenty of speed fiends have tanked in the NFL. But in football, there's a titanic difference between a player who runs the 40 in 4.6 and the one that runs it in 4.4. The former often gets caught from behind and fumbles away a season; the latter is capable of catching a simple slant and taking it to the house.

McCarthy's too stupid to figure out a way to weaponize Janis. When you have a bomb threat on your roster, find a way to drop bombs on opposing defenses!

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    Is that you Jeff? Seriously, I'm not sure I remember a packer so polarizing. I mean, some members of this board question his brain size, most question his ability. What's next, his penis size? I have always been a fan of giving individuals the benefit of the doubt, and then seeing what they can do on the field. I've always been intrigued by his physical attributes, but me thinks his time has passed. I think some other team will pay him more than the Packers think he is worth. Opinion from an old guy in northern wisconsin where it will be May before you can do anything fun.
    Check out the film. Good things happened in the Packers' favor when Janis was on the field playing special teams and offense.

Janis' an elite gunner, there's no question about that. Had a career game at receiver in the Arizona playoff game. McCarthy idiotically played Janis less and less on offense afterward. But good things happened when Janis was on offense, despite the rarity. The SD game where Janis caught a bomb and took a 5 yard toss a mile. The Texans game at Lambeau where he ran the rock for a TD. Pretty sure Janis scored a TD at Atlanta in 2016.

I don't know anything about Janis' penis size, but I know he's a baller. lol

Tank, Janis had a panic when he was in a game the previous year (2016 I believe). He ran a slant and the LB knew he was running a slant. Janis stalled, then ran up to the LB and jumped into the air in what was less of an attempt to catch the ball and more of an attempt to not get hurt when he got hit. The ball either bounced off someone or went elsewhere, I don't remember. I just remember Janis going to the turf on his butt.

He had no idea how to run that route with tight coverage and someone in the way. He was confused at a minimum and was in no mood to challenge the LB who could have legally popped him in the five yard bump zone. No idea how to adjust. And that is the kind of thing its his job to know. But he is used to just running around obstacles, not sticking to the route plan.

If we had a pic, and trust me I have looked for the video, the caption would read: What Are You Doing Here?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Every time I see this reference to MM and deeming that " Brett Hundley wasn't properly prepared"; and all the BS he fed the Media about how BH was his man as the Replacement for Aaron Rodgers

I really want to vomit !

If Packer fans can possibly find for this scumbucket Mike McCarthy after that stance; then those Packer fans are far far removed from ever benefiting from any reality checks.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Every time I see this reference to MM and deeming that " Brett Hundley wasn't properly prepared"; and all the BS he fed the Media about how BH was his man as the Replacement for Aaron Rodgers

I really want to vomit !

"If Packer fans can possibly find for this scumbucket Mike McCarthy after that stance; then those Packer fans are far far removed from ever benefiting from any reality checks.
    What in the hell is MM supposed to say publicly - Hundley sucks? What good would that do? Make Packers fans feel better?

Hundley was never drafted to replace Rodgers. He was drafted to develop and be Aaron's backup. Unfortunately they couldn't develop Hundley like they did with Flynn. For some reason QB is the hardest position to scout. How many QBs have been drafted even in the first round and have busted big time?

Here is what a scout had to say about Hundley before that draft:

"STRENGTHS Well-built with frame sturdy enough to handle rigors of the position. Asked to get through progressions and make decisions. Willing to stand in and take the hit when he zeroes in on his target. Willing to get take downfield shot and give his receiver a chance to make the play. Has the ability to maneuver inside of pocket to buy time. Poised enough from pocket. Has adequate release and enough arm when he sits down on his throws. Above-average foot quickness to escape pocket. Hit 57-yard playaction touchdown from under center against Washington in 2014 (just seven attempts under center all year). Good sense of pocket pressure and is decisive when he decides to bolt. Dangerous as a runner with enough speed to hit a big play on the ground. Dual-threat ability increases his effectiveness in red zone. Displays his toughness almost every time out.

WEAKNESSES Hasn't shown an ability to win from the pocket yet. Protected by playaction-based short passing game that held linebackers and cornerbacks at bay. Internal clock is a mess. Has marginal anticipation, and appears to be lacking in ability to read defenses and create a pre-snap plan. Slow getting through progressions, taking 125 sacks in three years. Inconsistent weight transfer on throws, which affects accuracy (throws sail) and velocity. Needs to reset feet when swiveling from side to side while scanning for next target. Gets crowded in pocket rather than sliding to open space. Short-arms too many throws. Ineffective, inaccurate passer outside of pocket with lowest completion percentage in Pac-12 when scrambling (32.6 percent). Misses opportunities to climb pocket while keeping eyes downfield rather than taking off as a runner.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 4 or 5

SOURCES TELL US "Someone will draft him, but I don't think he will ever be a starter. He can't read coverages and struggles to process. It is going to take a few years before he looks like a backup in my opinion. He has a long way to go." -- AFC area scout

NFL COMPARISON Jason Campbell

BOTTOM LINE Hundley flashes athleticism and talent, but his basic quarterbacking issues will take time to improve. In 2014, more than 54 percent of his pass attempts were from six yards and in, including 29 percent from behind the line of scrimmage, which is nothing like an NFL offense. Hundley is a "flash" prospect who shows the physical tools to be a starter, but his internal clock and issues with reads and progressions must be improved to give him a shot at becoming a decent NFL starter."

It appears this scout was dead on.

Janis is actually a pretty bright guy. I have a friend of a friend that hunts with him. Now if he is football smart I have no idea

What in the hell is MM supposed to say publicly - Hundley sucks? What good would that do? Make Packers fans feel better?

Hundley was never drafted to replace Rodgers. He was drafted to develop and be Aaron's backup. Unfortunately they couldn't develop Hundley like they did with Flynn. For some reason QB is the hardest position to scout. How many QBs have been drafted even in the first round and have busted big time?

Here is what a scout had to say about Hundley before that draft:

"STRENGTHS Well-built with frame sturdy enough to handle rigors of the position. Asked to get through progressions and make decisions. Willing to stand in and take the hit when he zeroes in on his target. Willing to get take downfield shot and give his receiver a chance to make the play. Has the ability to maneuver inside of pocket to buy time. Poised enough from pocket. Has adequate release and enough arm when he sits down on his throws. Above-average foot quickness to escape pocket. Hit 57-yard playaction touchdown from under center against Washington in 2014 (just seven attempts under center all year). Good sense of pocket pressure and is decisive when he decides to bolt. Dangerous as a runner with enough speed to hit a big play on the ground. Dual-threat ability increases his effectiveness in red zone. Displays his toughness almost every time out.

WEAKNESSES Hasn't shown an ability to win from the pocket yet. Protected by playaction-based short passing game that held linebackers and cornerbacks at bay. Internal clock is a mess. Has marginal anticipation, and appears to be lacking in ability to read defenses and create a pre-snap plan. Slow getting through progressions, taking 125 sacks in three years. Inconsistent weight transfer on throws, which affects accuracy (throws sail) and velocity. Needs to reset feet when swiveling from side to side while scanning for next target. Gets crowded in pocket rather than sliding to open space. Short-arms too many throws. Ineffective, inaccurate passer outside of pocket with lowest completion percentage in Pac-12 when scrambling (32.6 percent). Misses opportunities to climb pocket while keeping eyes downfield rather than taking off as a runner.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 4 or 5

SOURCES TELL US "Someone will draft him, but I don't think he will ever be a starter. He can't read coverages and struggles to process. It is going to take a few years before he looks like a backup in my opinion. He has a long way to go." -- AFC area scout

NFL COMPARISON Jason Campbell

BOTTOM LINE Hundley flashes athleticism and talent, but his basic quarterbacking issues will take time to improve. In 2014, more than 54 percent of his pass attempts were from six yards and in, including 29 percent from behind the line of scrimmage, which is nothing like an NFL offense. Hundley is a "flash" prospect who shows the physical tools to be a starter, but his internal clock and issues with reads and progressions must be improved to give him a shot at becoming a decent NFL starter."

It appears this scout was dead on.
    Yes I agree and so why didn't Ted Thompson?

Did TT not consult at all with MM and any of his possible Draft Picks; and especially a Pick for a potential Backup QB?

This isn't at all complicated. Why in hell was he ever allowed to wear Packer Colors?

If you need an apple to eventually or hopefully be a hybride apple as your Backup QB.

TT picked a fricken orange
    and no way should anyone or specifically the QB Coach or his Assistants ever be expected to turn that Orange into that hybride Apple.

I cannot explain it any better.

It isn't like we have a lot of draft capital invested in Hundley. Ted and the coaches thought they could do something with him. It didn't work out. Big freaking deal. It isn't like we expected Brett to be our future starter. We hoped to mold him into a serviceable NFL QB and trade him for picks like Wolf did with the likes of Brunnel and Hasselbeck and what they did with Flynn. Hundley isn't the first nor will he be the last collegiate QB to flame out in the NFL. This draft class looks pretty decent for QBs. I'm guessing they will draft another prospect next month and see what they can do with him. And the FA period hasn't yet begun. Perhaps we'll sign a veteran instead.

It isn't like we have a lot of draft capital invested in Hundley. Ted and the coaches thought they could do something with him. It didn't work out. Big freaking deal. It isn't like we expected Brett to be our future starter. We hoped to mold him into a serviceable NFL QB and trade him for picks like Wolf did with the likes of Brunnel and Hasselbeck and what they did with Flynn. Hundley isn't the first nor will he be the last collegiate QB to flame out in the NFL. This draft class looks pretty decent for QBs. I'm guessing they will draft another prospect next month and see what they can do with him. And the FA period hasn't yet begun. Perhaps we'll sign a veteran instead.
    Meanwhile and back at the Ranch you have this:

https://overthecap.com/player/brett-hundley/3995/

You have that minus a decent QB Coach in Alex Van Pelt who was trashed by MM without MM even consulting with Aaron Rodgers as to the need for such a move.

That Pugger was a clear error in terms of RESPECT. Mike McCarthy pulled another of his stupid moves.

It utterly amazes me that MM is still in Green Bay. Does he have anything left in his bag of Houdini Act Tricks?

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Meanwhile and back at the Ranch you have this:

https://overthecap.com/player/brett-hundley/3995/

You have that minus a decent QB Coach in Alex Van Pelt who was trashed by MM without MM even consulting with Aaron Rodgers as to the need for such a move.

That Pugger was a clear error in terms of RESPECT. Mike McCarthy pulled another of his stupid moves.

It utterly amazes me that MM is still in Green Bay. Does he have anything left in his bag of Houdini Act Tricks?
    You and others are bitching about how terrible Hundley is and how the coaches dropped the ball with him. Perhaps this is why Van Pelt wasn't encouraged to stay? And it isn't up to Rodgers who is position coach is. I don't want MM to let Rodgers become a diva like Farve was.

Why does anyone think Alex Van Pelt was a quality QB coach?

He took over a finished product in Rodgers and did not get much out of Hundley.