Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2018 nfl draft thread

Wouldn’t be the worst thing to draft quinton Nelson, G, Notre Dame either. In that case, i’d cut Bulaga because we’d be set with Bahktiari, Taylor, Lindsley, Nelson..... and then I’d have a battle for that RT spot. Whoever it is doesnt even have to be great, just a solid player cuz he’ll be playing next to a really good one.

Comment woodbuck27:

What does the Ole Guy Have to say?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...2018-nfl-draft

Hot 150: Gil Brandt's top-ranked prospects for 2018 NFL Draft

By Gil Brandt ... NFL Media senior analyst

Published: April 16, 2018 at 12:04 p.m. Updated: April 18, 2018 at 03:28 p.m.

RANK # 12 -Marcus Davenport - DE - School: Texas-San Antonio | Year: Senior

Davenport will get better every year and has a chance to become a good pass rusher in the NFL. He's very athletic and has good character and excellent work habits.

RANK # 36 - Harold Landry - Edge - School: Boston College | Year: Senior

Landry played in just eight games in 2017 because of an ankle injury, but in '16, he set a school record with 16.5 sacks. Since 2014, only three college players have posted three career three-sack games: Landry and past first-round picks Derek Barnett and Myles Garrett. The athletic Landry has outstanding pass-rush ability when healthy -- he has the speed and quickness to excel in that role in the NFL.

RANK # 40 - Frank Ragnow - C - School: Arkansas | Year: Senior

An ankle injury cost him the last five games of the season and required surgery. He's a tough, hard-working player who played both guard and center at Arkansas. I wish he was faster in the cone drill (8.04). Still, he'll be a starter by Year 2.

RANK #42 -Tyrell Crosby - G - School: Oregon | Year: Senior

Crosby missed most of 2016 with an injury but was named Pac-12 Offensive Lineman of the Year in 2017, when he did not allow a sack. He has very long arms (35 1/4 inches) and big hands (10 3/4 inches), but he needs to get stronger. He has the toughness and mental acuity to be very good in the NFL.

RANK #43 - Carlton Davis - CB -School: Auburn | Year: Junior

He'll most likely be best as a press corner because of his size (6-foot-1, 203 pounds), long arms and strength. Davis played well in 2017 and had 33 passes defensed in his three-year career. He ran faster at his pro day than he did at the combine, but I would have liked to have seen better marks in the short shuttle (4.31) and cone drills (7.30).

RANK #48 - Ronnie Harrison - S -School: Alabama | Year: Junior

The well-coached Harrison will tackle with power, though difficulty changing directions will hurt him at the next level. He never ran the short shuttle or cone drill but did post a 4.63 - 40 at his pro day, and he finished with seven career interceptions.

RANK # 49 - Justin Reid - S - School: Stanford | Year: Junior

Reid enjoyed an excellent 2017, posting 99 tackles and five interceptions (including picks of Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen). He seemed to improve each year at Stanford and should be able to cover well, thanks to his speed (4.40 S - 40). His brother is former first-round pick Eric Reid.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-23-2018 at 12:42 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Wouldn’t be the worst thing to draft quinton Nelson, G, Notre Dame either. In that case, i’d cut Bulaga because we’d be set with Bahktiari, Taylor, Lindsley, Nelson..... and then I’d have a battle for that RT spot. Whoever it is doesnt even have to be great, just a solid player cuz he’ll be playing next to a really good one.
    If he is there and all the top shelf defensive players are off the board he would be a no brainer. Heck even if it was between him and Smith, or Edmunds it's at least a coin flip. The Packers have holes on their offensive line, and if it wasn't for such a shitty defense it would be the biggest need for the Packers

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    If he is there and all the top shelf defensive players are off the board he would be a no brainer. Heck even if it was between him and Smith, or Edmunds it's at least a coin flip. The Packers have holes on their offensive line, and if it wasn't for such a shitty defense it would be the biggest need for the Packers
    Probably one reason that Evans isn't re-signed. He wants more than bargain basement money, Packer might be hoping to get lucky and fill the spot in the draft.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Risky to fill that spot with any thing less than a 1st round pick. Run the draft, if you get a couple of rookies for the offensive line then you could forget about Evans, but I would like to see them sign him to a one year deal. They have no depth on that line.

Risky to fill that spot with any thing less than a 1st round pick. Run the draft, if you get a couple of rookies for the offensive line then you could forget about Evans, but I would like to see them sign him to a one year deal. They have no depth on that line.
    I basically agree, though if Harv is right and there are 5-7 starting caliber Guards in this draft, they likely will be able to stretch that past the first round.

However, I think Evans shares your opinion and is asking for starter money, similar to last year while the Packers would prefer something closer to vet minimum. And both are willing to wait. I think Evans will come back to GB unless they get exactly what they want in the draft at Guard. And that probably means two guys who can play it.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

If no one improves (Spriggs or Murphy) then they have shit for starting RT and Lane Taylor is their best backup tackle. Can't depend on Ulrick John or McCray out there. But you probably could find a serviceable guard from among McCray, Patrick, Amichia and that other stiff...oh yeah Pankey...

Just seems like a waste to blow a pick on a guard when you need an outstanding player elsewhere, including, most likely, at right tackle.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    If no one improves (Spriggs or Murphy) then they have shit for starting RT and Lane Taylor is their best backup tackle. Can't depend on Ulrick John or McCray out there. But you probably could find a serviceable guard from among McCray, Patrick, Amichia and that other stiff...oh yeah Pankey...

Just seems like a waste to blow a pick on a guard when you need an outstanding player elsewhere, including, most likely, at right tackle.
    I bet its part of the calculation, but I wonder if at some point Ted or Ted simulacrum says "its hard enough to draft good players, lets not compare the Guard to the Tackle hopefuls on the roster".

I think you need to do BPA in this case and if you land on Nelson, hope the very good Guard helps the so-so Tackle spot. Given their track record of drafting all Tackles all the time, I wonder how high Nelson's score would need to be. Sitton was obviously a Guard in the draft, but he played Tackle in college and was a fourth round pick.

Now that I have written Ted simulacrum, I want the Packers to put a cardboard cutout of Ted in front of the podium of the media room during the draft.
    Last edited by pbmax; 04-23-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Brian Carriveau at Cheesehead TV sees this first round unfolding like our draft board does. Pessimistically. Though he eliminates several popular possible Packer picks because he doesn't think they fit or are worth the risk.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packer...medium=twitter

The players likely to go early in the first round and the order in which the Packers would take them. He also thinks they all going to be gone.

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
    2. Bradley Chubb, EDGE, N.C. State
    3. Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia
    4. Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
    5. Quenton Nelson, OL, Notre Dame

Then there are skill positions the Packer may not be looking at early:

6. Josh Allen
    7. Sam Darold
    8. Baker Mayfield
    9. Josh Rosen
    10. Saquon Barkley.

He says: "Should any of these five players drop to 14, the Packers should entertain a potential trade down for the right package. And we probably shouldn’t ignore Lamar Jackson either given the value of quarterbacks in today’s NFL."

Then the players likely to be taken high he wants the Packers to avoid:

11. Tremaine Edmunds - young player without a natural position immediately
    12. Derwin James - very good safety who will be asked to be slot corner 30 times a game
    13. Josh Jackson - tweener who would look at home drafted by Ted and miscast in Dom's defense

Which leaves the Packers with Harold Landry and Marcus Davenport. You can read him to see who he chooses.

Don't mind stunts and like to be entertained. But this seems dumb.

Greg Auman @gregauman
    NFL announces that a parrot — yes, a parrot — will deliver Bucs’ third-day draft picks to an announcer on the pirate ship at Raymond James Stadium

R-E-L-A-X Packer fans. A draft prognosticator has Bradley Chubb falling to the Packers at 14. Farrar doesn't like him as much as others (thinks the pass rush is in consistent) so that may be why he falls here (plus Giants taking Barkley, Browns taking Nelson and Devenport to Bears).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...nd-predictions

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Brian Carriveau at Cheesehead TV sees this first round unfolding like our draft board does. Pessimistically. Though he eliminates several popular possible Packer picks because he doesn't think they fit or are worth the risk.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packer...medium=twitter

The players likely to go early in the first round and the order in which the Packers would take them. He also thinks they all going to be gone.

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
    2. Bradley Chubb, EDGE, N.C. State
    3. Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia
    4. Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
    5. Quenton Nelson, OL, Notre Dame

Then there are skill positions the Packer may not be looking at early:

6. Josh Allen
    7. Sam Darold
    8. Baker Mayfield
    9. Josh Rosen
    10. Saquon Barkley.

He says: "Should any of these five players drop to 14, the Packers should entertain a potential trade down for the right package. And we probably shouldn’t ignore Lamar Jackson either given the value of quarterbacks in today’s NFL."

Then the players likely to be taken high he wants the Packers to avoid:

11. Tremaine Edmunds - young player without a natural position immediately
    12. Derwin James - very good safety who will be asked to be slot corner 30 times a game
    13. Josh Jackson - tweener who would look at home drafted by Ted and miscast in Dom's defense

Which leaves the Packers with Harold Landry and Marcus Davenport. You can read him to see who he chooses.
    Does this guy have any actual football credentials?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Now that I have written Ted simulacrum, I want the Packers to put a cardboard cutout of Ted in front of the podium of the media room during the draft.
    No one would ever know the difference.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Vita Vea is another one i could see. Clark is evolving into a more explosive and quicker player than we expected. I envision him this year starting to throw guys around, and still has that quick enough first step to pressure up tr middle. Vea would be a really nice piece inside.

I just hate to draft wrs or cbs or even safeties or ilbs high in the draft. Big guys are harder to find.

Clark is evolving into a more explosive and quicker player than we expected. I envision him this year starting to throw guys around, and still has that quick enough first step to pressure up tr middle. Vea would be a really nice piece inside.

I just hate to draft wrs or cbs or even safeties or ilbs high in the draft. Big guys are harder to find.
    I hope you're right about Clark. I thought he was good last year, but didn't leap as much as I anticipated.

I agree with your general point. The Giants won a couple of Superbowls mainly because they could consistently get to the QB with four guys up front.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    No one would ever know the difference.
    Exactly. SimTed could do the interviews with NFL.com after the picks are announced and Rich and Mike could interview him seamlessly.

Vita Vea is another one i could see. Clark is evolving into a more explosive and quicker player than we expected. I envision him this year starting to throw guys around, and still has that quick enough first step to pressure up tr middle. Vea would be a really nice piece inside.

Agree, but I think they are hoping Wilkerson does this for them this year.

Gutekunst PC

Packer Report @PackerReport
    Gutekunst leads off, like Thompson, thanking his scouts for all the work that's been done. "It's an entire year process." 2019 starts two days after the draft.

Need certainly factors in who gets picked, Gutekunst said, sort of stomping on "best player available" mantra. Not that we didn't know that.

DRAFTING FOR NEED WITHOUT BPA IS FOR SUCKERS AND MARTY SCHOTTENHEIMER

Packer ReporT @PackerReport
    Thompson has been here throughout process. Will be here all week. "one of best talent evaluators," Gutekunst says.

Gutekunst has been "all consumed" with draft so hasn't spoken to Rodgers or other players. "Nobody's voiced any frustrations to me."

Trade calls are made throughout the course of the draft and usually don't just come out of the blue. Gutekunst will have five guys working the phones, he says.

How many impact players does he need to find? "As many as we can, quite frankly," Gutekunst says.

"You can't count on it," Gutekunst says of multiple QBs being selected ahead of GB and pushing talent its way.

He says he's been ready since Wednesday to get the draft started

Mock Draft Compilation: https://www.sbnation.com/a/nfl-mock-draft-database-2018

Surprises in Top 13:

1. Chubb to Giants only in 15% of mocks. He is third choice, behind Barkley and Darold.
    2. Browns getting a Chubb more than Barkley (52% to 36).
    3. Brocos are all QB with 10% picking Nelson
    4. Chubb 2nd choice for Colts (26%)
    5. Bucs (Derwin James), Bears (Tremaine Edmunds), 49ers (Roquan Smith), Raiders (Roquan Smith) and Dolphins (Vita Vea) and Washington (Vita Vea) all taking defenders

Only 4 QBs going in first 13 picks (Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Jackson)

Plus side? Calvin Ridley is available, so is Harold Landry. Consensus is Packers taking Davenport.

Problem with the compilation is that two of the picks are the top pick for two teams Miami and Washington for Vea and 49ers and Raiders for Roquan Smith.
    Last edited by pbmax; 04-23-2018 at 03:18 PM.

After hearing the chatter this weekend how how bad this draft is at the top, and how uniquely good it is in rounds 2 and 3, I suspect the Packers will trade down and turn over more of their roster. They need some freshness.