7 22.58%
  • GREAT EVENT and STOKED TO WATCH MUCH OF IT

15 48.39%
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: WORLD CUP

Quote Originally Posted by sooner6600 View Post
    Tar!

Do you think PK are over rated?

What are your thoughts about a return to the golden goal?

No, I am not crying in my Spaten Brau. I am just saying that USA beat Brazil on PK's; but somehow one should play on, no?
    thats a though call. you can go on and on forever without someone getting the golden goal. its bad enough when teams have to play 120 minutes, then play another game in a few days. can you imagine what a team would look like in that second game after playing a 180 minutes or more in the previous one?

i will say that i would rather have a golden goal during the extra 30 minutes. first team to score wins, screw playing out the rest of the extra time

PK's do pretty much suck at deciding games, and anti-climatic IMO, but i just don't see another humane way of deciding ties in a tournament
    Last edited by red; 07-19-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner6600 View Post
    Tar!

Do you think PK are over rated?

What are your thoughts about a return to the golden goal?

No, I am not crying in my Spaten Brau. I am just saying that USA beat Brazil on PK's; but somehow one should play on, no?
    Dutch coach Louis Van Gaal proposed a couple of months ago to change the overtime format; drop the PK's and just keep on playing while every X minutes (5?) a player of each team has to leave the field. Crazy stuff if you ask me; in the end, those players remaining on the field will be useless in the further games of the tournament.

I don't like PK's, but honestly, I see no other solution. They added the golden (and silver) goal in order to boost the spectacle & offensive play, but it caused the teams to defend more and play for the PK's.

Thanks Wootah;

Ah; shorten the field and add more players.
    That shoud really destroy the game.

Well, the Golden Goal works in all USA sports. If they're gonna do it in soccer playoffs, they should do it throughout the season in club matches. Anything is better than PK.

I also think they should have a sin bin. That is when a player commits a foul that is a yellow card, he goes of for 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam! View Post
    Well, the Golden Goal works in all USA sports. If they're gonna do it in soccer playoffs, they should do it throughout the season in club matches. Anything is better than PK.

I also think they should have a sin bin. That is when a player commits a foul that is a yellow card, he goes of for 10 minutes.
    I'd be yellow carding just for the break...
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Bob Bradley was fired today....not surprising considering the play of the team recently.
    C.H.U.D.

Wow. I like the hire...not sure it's going to help much though.

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2011/0...german-legend/
    C.H.U.D.

Senior Rat HOFer
    I love the hire. I loved this hire back when we got Bradley. Don't know what went wrong then, but I'm glad they got it right now.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

? HOFer
    This Nike ad is incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSggaxXUS8k

Glad they hired Klinsmann. I find it maddening how the US choked vs Mexico in Gold Cup. Only worse choke job was the Women vs. Japan in Women's World Cup final.

If they really want soccer to take off professionally, the US men HAVE to get to a World Cup final. Sounds like a front runner type of statement, but it's going to be a 2nd tier sport until that happens.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean View Post
    If they really want soccer to take off professionally, the US men HAVE to get to a World Cup final.
    I think you mixed it up; if they want to get to the final, they have to become more professional. No way you guys are getting to a WC final when your best athletes are choosing other sports.

I miss soccer...I only ever played while my kid was playing, but still miss it.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    I miss soccer...I only ever played while my kid was playing, but still miss it.
    Rightly so; there's a reason it's called "the beautiful game".

Tonight our season starts; first training session after a 4 month offseason and I'm absolutely STOKED. Woke up this morning from a text from one of my players which said "Coach, I can't wait for the training tonight!". I've got me a 13 year old Bart Scott.

I remember 4-year-old soccer. The kid used to forget there was a game going on and watch airplanes that were flying overhead. He was pretty good for a while and fast, but lost interest somewhere around 8 or 9.

Now he's a STEM kid and I have to throw him out to get him outside to play.

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    He was pretty good for a while and fast, but lost interest somewhere around 8 or 9.
    What happened? From my experience that age is still about the good old pressureless soccer, where it's all about having a good time.

This is when the kids in the league who lived and breathed soccer began to excel and really outpace his marginal interest and lack of outside practice. In a different league (read more expensive) he might have been brought along differently, but this is also about the time he found science, math, his bike and tennis.

I went to a major league soccer game on Saturday. How the hell did this ever become the most popular sport in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    I went to a major league soccer game on Saturday. How the hell did this ever become the most popular sport in the world?
    That's a good question, Scott. I think because it's accessible to all types of players due to the wide range of skills (you don't have to be big and fast and strong) and the only thing you need is a ball or something like that. It's more fun if you have an opponent, but if not, you can just train your skills by juggling the ball.

I remember when I was about 8 years old and we weren't allowed anymore to play with a proper ball on our playground at school. We then just played with an empty can of soda during each break.

Try to play it yourself, it really is a fun game. I don't know a whole lot about MLS, but if you want to see the best of the best: watch a game of Barcelona.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT2mGDGrxYE

They're insanely good.

Good stuff wootah.....can't argue with that.

The goal at 2:30 is just a thing of beauty....Messi is so good.

C.H.U.D.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    soccer makes me puke