Thread: Week 4 Other Games

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    What's kind of funny is that seemingly no one on the planet - not Jim Caldwell, not Jon Gruden, not the fans, nobody - knew this rule. Tirico never said a word. The coaches didn't bitch at all. It wasn't until after when somebody postgame interviewed a ref that this came up.

So essentially the rule was there but no one really seemed to know that. Had Caldwell or one of his assistants known the rule, he might've immediately jumped the officials about it, so they might've then huddled briefly (pretending it was their idea) and then thrown a flag. We've seen that happen - the coach jumps one of the refs, the light bulb goes on, the ref calls a huddle, there's a discussion, there's a flag. So it's not really officially a review of a non-penalty, because no one's asking for a booth view or anything - just dudes huddling to make sure they get the call right.

I still blame the Lions for this loss.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    What's kind of funny is that seemingly no one on the planet - not Jim Caldwell, not Jon Gruden, not the fans, nobody - knew this rule. Tirico never said a word. The coaches didn't bitch at all. It wasn't until after when somebody postgame interviewed a ref that this came up.

So essentially the rule was there but no one really seemed to know that. Had Caldwell or one of his assistants known the rule, he might've immediately jumped the officials about it, so they might've then huddled briefly (pretending it was their idea) and then thrown a flag. We've seen that happen - the coach jumps one of the refs, the light bulb goes on, the ref calls a huddle, there's a discussion, there's a flag. So it's not really officially a review of a non-penalty, because no one's asking for a booth view or anything - just dudes huddling to make sure they get the call right.

I still blame the Lions for this loss.
    I was thinking the same thing no one said a word, including on this board, or the sports guy on the Detroit news this morning.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I was thinking the same thing no one said a word, including on this board, or the sports guy on the Detroit news this morning.
    When it happened I thought it was a fantastic play. By batting the ball out of the end zone there is no chance that he muffs the ball trying to catch it and potentially allowing DET to recover the ball.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I was thinking the same thing no one said a word, including on this board
    That sounds like a shot at pbmax. This happened on his watch as forum crier.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

So essentially the rule was there but no one really seemed to know that. Had Caldwell or one of his assistants known the rule, he might've immediately jumped the officials about it, so they might've then huddled briefly (pretending it was their idea) and then thrown a flag.
    Very good point. The Lions should have raised a stink. I didn't know the rules exactly, but I knew a defender must not be able to earn a touch back by batting the ball out of the endzone. It was like the announcers and coaches just wanted to get out of the noisy stadium and turn in.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Very good point. The Lions should have raised a stink. I didn't know the rules exactly, but I knew a defender must not be able to earn a touch back by batting the ball out of the endzone. It was like the announcers and coaches just wanted to get out of the noisy stadium and turn in.
    I thought it was odd as well, like a holy roller in reverse, but no one said anything so I disregarded it. Funny though, this is the second time it's come up this season, another team fumbled the ball through the opponent's end zone and had possession taken away and I was surprised by the ruling.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...