Thread: Raji looks to be back

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    but it varies in degree. I assume you know some people who are less moody and more self-motivated?
    Sure, but even our "stars" need pushing... especially the sales guy that's making more than he's ever made before. Obviously more talented than most of our team, but he still has challenges 'managing his own success' (MM tm).

All our sales team is paid based on performance, they all make six figures minimum... three times this year we've thrown out a simple $500 cash bonus to each salesguy if we can hit $500k for the week and every time they hit it. No other weeks have we done 500k this year. It was a bit of a trial from a mgmt perspective, but it's disheartening to think we need to pay them even more for short term motivation when their next quarter salary could go up/down 10-20k based on their previous quarter. They're just not capable of looking that far ahead it seems. These are sales people, generally the most ambitious self-starters in any company. You can only imagine the challenges we have with office staff punching clocks.

As far as moodiness goes-- there's definitely some that need more coddling and encouragement than others. I don't see BJ Raji as one of these guys. He did choose to stick around with the team all season when many wouldn't in that situation.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by mission View Post
    I don't see BJ Raji as one of these guys.
    OK
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    OK
    Feel free to explain why you obviously think otherwise.

because two years ago, after green bay insulted him with just a 8 million a year offer, his play trailed waaaay off, and he looked like he was moving at full speed, and acting like he couldn't wait to get out of green bay, injury free

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    because two years ago, after green bay insulted him with just a 8 million a year offer, his play trailed waaaay off, and he looked like he was moving at full speed, and acting like he couldn't wait to get out of green bay, injury free
    Your contention is that he was so insulted, he didn't sign the insulting offer and then sulked his way to play worse, in order to secure an even worse contract?

You are basically arguing he is self destructive, worse than Finley?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Your contention is that he was so insulted, he didn't sign the insulting offer and then sulked his way to play worse, in order to secure an even worse contract?

You are basically arguing he is self destructive, worse than Finley?
    my point was, and it was a pretty common idea a year ago, that after he was insulted by that offer, he phoned in the rest of the year thinking he was done in green bay. problem was, no one else wanted him after seeing how he quit on his team

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    my point was, and it was a pretty common idea a year ago, that after he was insulted by that offer, he phoned in the rest of the year thinking he was done in green bay. problem was, no one else wanted him after seeing how he quit on his team
    He doesn't strike me as that dumb. Quite the opposite actually.

Finley clearly lived in a space in his head where everyone's concerns and his contract numbers mattered to him. I don't get that sense from Raji.

Now it didn't work out for him, so his gauge of the market and his performance plus role conspired to hurt him badly. But outside of second half foray's into being a consistently penetrating tackle regardless of the play design (often when the D was getting gashed), he seemed eminently coachable. Matthews has made more news about a position switch.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

OK
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

FWIW, I think Rand works in some kind of research environment, quite possibly academic but maybe commercial. For the most part, to get anywhere in that career you have to be very self-motivated because even if you're absolutely brilliant you have to slog through years of work and bullshit to get to any real sort of relevance.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    FWIW, I think Rand works in some kind of research environment, quite possibly academic but maybe commercial. For the most part, to get anywhere in that career you have to be very self-motivated because even if you're absolutely brilliant you have to slog through years of work and bullshit to get to any real sort of relevance.
    He doesn't appear very motivated to explain himself.

Either that or he is royalty.

... to get anywhere in that career you have to be very self-motivated because even if you're absolutely brilliant you have to slog through years of work and bullshit to get to any real sort of relevance.
    this is very accurate. Now imagine trying it with marginal intelligence.