Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Packers 2014 Offseason: Does Green Bay Need to Sign a Center?

Blog Entries
    EDS has pretty good feet and does well in pass pro. In pass pro he doubles pretty quickly, but when singled up he has strength issues. I've seen him get walked back more than once myself He seems to be up on his line calls, but that doesn't take a rocket scientist.

Decent on the gun snap, gets it there in good shape for the QB consistently. In fact, his gun snap is his biggest strength.

Run blocking, not powerful and isn't all that quick for a guy who can scuttle around pretty good in pass pro. A reach block? Fuggitabouit. Saturday took reach blocks out of our playbook and EDS can't make 'em either.

I'd be shocked if EDS gets a multi year deal with another team, but this year may shock us all.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    EDS has pretty good feet and does well in pass pro. In pass pro he doubles pretty quickly, but when singled up he has strength issues. I've seen him get walked back more than once myself He seems to be up on his line calls, but that doesn't take a rocket scientist.

Decent on the gun snap, gets it there in good shape for the QB consistently. In fact, his gun snap is his biggest strength.

Run blocking, not powerful and isn't all that quick for a guy who can scuttle around pretty good in pass pro. A reach block? Fuggitabouit. Saturday took reach blocks out of our playbook and EDS can't make 'em either.

I'd be shocked if EDS gets a multi year deal with another team, but this year may shock us all.
    see, i don't agree with that. i noticed it a lot more when flynn and the other backups were in, but then continued to see it when a-rod was back. the QB's had to "go get" the ball a lot in the gun. either the snap was short, or wide left and right. and didn't a couple sail over the QB's heads?

i remember thinking a lot this year that it cannot be that hard to get the ball 3 or 4 hards and right into the QB's hands so he doesn't have to move all around to get it

Answer to OP question, do Packers need to sign a Center if EDS leaves?

Nope, there are two on the team (Tretter, Lang). But can't say I like the second option.

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/page.php?page_id=278
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline 2h
    I'm told wide out James Jones receiving heavy interest from the Detroit Lions & New York Jets...Green Bay Packers may still be in the mix..
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4h
    Source: #Bears are now targeting #Raiders star defensive end Lamarr Houston after missing out on Michael Bennett. They are pushing hard

Sources have said coach Mike McCarthy wants taller, quicker players at the end positions so that he can interchange them with players like Datone Jones, Mike Daniels and Jerel Worthy and have an active pass rush no matter who is on the field.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...#ixzz2vcqwcSxJ
    Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter
    Silverstein has gone with this twice now so he is not just throwing this out there. Still not sure if its a source other than Ian Rapoport. You would think so, given there is no citation given.

you're in the wrong thread i think pb

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Source: #Bears are now targeting #Raiders star defensive end Lamarr Houston after missing out on Michael Bennett. They are pushing hard
    JSO reporting that contract demands for Houston are climbing due to interest from several teams, GB appears to be bowing out.

As for EDS, I'm amazed he's rated so high when he's just so-so, but there aren't a lot of great C's in the league. I'd take EDS over Raiola and probably Garza. Sullivan is the best C in the NFCN.

I know a reach block isn't often easy to execute, but why is it so hard to find a C who can reach block? Is it that important to M3's offense/blocking schemes?

red, I agree Pouncey is a POS but he's a better C than EDS. I wouldn't pay big money for EDS but I wouldn't complain if he's back on a contract around 2y/3.5M and competes with Tretter. I think he'll sign for more than that.
    From what I've seen Lang is not a C...they might as well put Barclay at C. Maybe he'd get better with practice snaps, but the offense suffered with Lang at C.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    you're in the wrong thread i think pb
    Whoops. You're right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    see, i don't agree with that. i noticed it a lot more when flynn and the other backups were in, but then continued to see it when a-rod was back. the QB's had to "go get" the ball a lot in the gun. either the snap was short, or wide left and right. and didn't a couple sail over the QB's heads?

i remember thinking a lot this year that it cannot be that hard to get the ball 3 or 4 hards and right into the QB's hands so he doesn't have to move all around to get it
    I don't remember the bad snaps, but you might be right.

The "back-up period" is a bit of a blur for me anyhow.

Maybe EDS was trying to help the team, by not giving Tolzein the ball so he could damage us.

We need a decent center, but I don't think we need to pay EDS a bunch of $ to keep him around.

We are paying big bucks for the two guards, a "value" center is what we need payroll wise.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The Chicago Bears have been busy this off season.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Ted Thompson has it covered.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau