Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
If the object is to groom a possible replacement for Jones in 25, then I hope he's not looking to depend on a free agent RB; that's an especially bad idea this year. It'd be very poor asset management, especially when we have so many draft picks. A replacement for Jones would be a pretty expensive free agent.

But if we're just going to replace Dillonthis season, there seem to be roughly 8 (certainly 5 or 6) backs in the draft who we could bring in now, and at the end of the season we assess the outlook for Jones and plan accordingly. Maybe at the end of the year, we find that the FA would replace Jones in our system, and we draft another RB to play the Dillon role.
If this were the case, wouldn't you just offer Dillon a contract to, well, be Dillon for one more year?

My own opinion is that they ought to draft a couple of RB's, and let them back up Jones. I know, the pass blocking won't be the best for the first part of the season, but if they're smart they'll figure that out by mid-season.

Any FA money is, to me, best spent on a safety or a linebacker to hold down the fort for a year while the rookies they're going to draft get up to speed. I think it's easier for a RB to learn to pass block in year one than for a safety or a linebacker to learn the defense in the first year; thus, for me, a FA, if you're going to do it, would be better to be a safety or a linebacker. Preferably a safety.