Thread: PIMPING STOCKS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Many who have gotten back into the market are leery of any change in the economy, and will sell because of a change without knowing if its good or bad. In short, there was some panic selling just because of the announcement. Panic selling means a decline in prices.
    In other words, when that happens, buy index funds?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    In other words, when that happens, buy index funds?
    Buying an index fund is like saying I want to make slightly less than market returns. Either buy stocks or mutual funds whose managers have a history of getting higher than market returns after fee's.
    As an aside once gold goes to 1250 I will start a small holding. I sold in July 2011 and prices are looking tempting.

Canadian REITs just went on sale and have attractive yields.
    Last edited by Upnorth; 06-22-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    Buying an index fund is like saying I want to make slightly less than market returns. Either buy stocks or mutual funds whose managers have a history of getting higher than market returns after fee's.
    As an aside once gold goes to 1250 I will start a small holding. I sold in July 2011 and prices are looking tempting.

Canadian REITs just went on sale and have attractive yields.
    That's the problem with index funds. My goal is to do better than the market as a whole. You can do that with market segment funds, but only if you know the segment very well.

I did fairly well with some US REITS the past year or so. while their dividends are still appealing, their prices have stagnated the last month or two, so I sold all of mine. If their prices decline, the nice dividend returns are eaten up quickly.

Gold does look like it could be an opportunity, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    That's the problem with index funds. My goal is to do better than the market as a whole. You can do that with market segment funds, but only if you know the segment very well.

I did fairly well with some US REITS the past year or so. while their dividends are still appealing, their prices have stagnated the last month or two, so I sold all of mine. If their prices decline, the nice dividend returns are eaten up quickly.

Gold does look like it could be an opportunity, doesn't it?
    I have been encouraging clients to move towards consistent dividend, ride out the short term insanity and use dividends to repurchase at a lower price. Or if they are really fearfull go money market for the next 30+days and get back at it.