Thread: The Defense - Again, the Defense :(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I don't think Clay should become an ILB on a permanent basis - but I want to see it mixed up. He is a player that needs to be accounted for, so where he lines up requires adjustments by the OL in their blocking assignments. It creates opportunities for blown assignments and miscommunication by the OL.

Beyond that, of course you are getting one of the slug ILB's off the field, and replacing him with either Perry or Neal. Whether you are in a base or nickel, it gives us more size and power up front - something we have been sorely lacking, especially after ousting all the fat guys.

Given our personnel, dunderdummy needs ensure we are sound up the middle, and scheme to create mismatches along the OL - what he did against the Bears accomplished that. If he simply reverts back to his static alignments with the slug ILB's on the field 24/7, then they have learned nothing - on the other hand, if they have truly seen the light, then I think we have the makings of a functional and effective defense; maybe not a dominant one, but at least a competetive one.
    I think he's trying to get the most effective defensive players on the field at the same time, and is showing that he's willing to make adjustments not only based on personnel, but based on how certain personnel plays together; like mixing line mates in hockey, I guess.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I think he's trying to get the most effective defensive players on the field at the same time, and is showing that he's willing to make adjustments not only based on personnel, but based on how certain personnel plays together; like mixing line mates in hockey, I guess.
    Get 11 of your most talented guys on the field at the same time and let them play. Substitute here and there to keep them fresh.

Wholesale substitution of situational personnel groups sounds good on paper, but I just don't think the Packers are deep enough talent-wise to pull it off. You lose cohesiveness, quality and consistency. Plus, you open yourself up to communication lapses and mistakes.

You have to fit the scheme to the talent you have, not the other way around. Schemes don't make plays, players do.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Get 11 of your most talented guys on the field at the same time and let them play. Substitute here and there to keep them fresh.

Wholesale substitution of situational personnel groups sounds good on paper, but I just don't think the Packers are deep enough talent-wise to pull it off. You lose cohesiveness, quality and consistency. Plus, you open yourself up to communication lapses and mistakes.

You have to fit the scheme to the talent you have, not the other way around. Schemes don't make plays, players do.
    I think they have that depth in the secondary and OLB. But there is a reason the ILBs only recently changed for the better.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Get 11 of your most talented guys on the field at the same time and let them play.
    End of thread?