Thread: They Ought to Have a D League

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    First of all, the NCAA shouldn't have objections if the 3 year thing was kept. A D league definitely would NOT be designed to replace college football. While development would be a part of it, it wouldn't be the primary thing either. If you had a couple of players a year per team come up through the ranks, that would be fine. It would be a way for the NFL team to stockpile more than the current practice squads, and I do think people would pay a little bit to watch, assuming the teams were linked to the local NFL team. I know I would. A key element to this would be having the parent team retain rights to at least a large part of the players - as they basically do not with practice squads now.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    First of all, the NCAA shouldn't have objections if the 3 year thing was kept. A D league definitely would NOT be designed to replace college football. While development would be a part of it, it wouldn't be the primary thing either. If you had a couple of players a year per team come up through the ranks, that would be fine. It would be a way for the NFL team to stockpile more than the current practice squads, and I do think people would pay a little bit to watch, assuming the teams were linked to the local NFL team. I know I would. A key element to this would be having the parent team retain rights to at least a large part of the players - as they basically do not with practice squads now.
    They currently don't want to expand rosters past 63. There is literally no appetite for it even though many teams each year would benefit when they have a run of injuries.

They would only actually expand rosters if the thing could make money and the way to make money would be to take talent that does not want to go to college and put them in a professional league.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I hope the NFL keeps the 3 year thing. I don't think freshmen and sophomore students (I'm not talking about redshirt sophomores here) should be knocking heads with full grown men already in the NFL.