Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Official Super Bowl XLIX Thread

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    The Seattle offense was showing pass.

Bill Belichick saw that and adjusted for that and prayed for a turnover.

Didn't a 'Higher Power' bless him?
    That is a run D all the way.

The only question is how certain BB could have been that if they defended the run, that the Seachickens would run the pick play from the stacked receivers.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    That is a run D all the way.

The only question is how certain BB could have been that if they defended the run, that the Seachickens would run the pick play from the stacked receivers.
    New England comparatively and certainly Vs Seattle didn't have a run 'D' in that situation.

If Seattle runs the ball with Marshawn Lynch it's abundantly probable that he scores a TD.

Belichick bet on the more probable of two "I need to be lucky situations" to make the defensive play:

Seattle showed pass and Bill Belichick set his defense (defensive backs) and hoped to defend pass and get a turn over.

At the end of that Super Bowl day:

Belichick arrived again as "Hoody Genius".
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

New England comparatively and certainly Vs Seattle didn't have a run 'D' in that situation.
    There are 7 players on the LOS, 1 at LB depth. 8 in the box versus a nickel alignment from the Seahawks. Each WR is man on man and there is not safety deep. That is a defense tilted against the run.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ut-we-were-ok/

“We certainly gave some consideration to taking a timeout there and leaving some time on the clock. I don’t know if that would have been a bad thing to do. It might have been a good thing to do, but it just seemed in the flow of the game we were OK with where we were,” Belichick said on WEEI
    From WEEI: http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/...-a-great-play/

“When they got down to the 5-yard line, our first thought was to not let them run it in,” said Belichick. “They certainly had plenty of time at that point. First they took the timeout. Then [Marshawn] Lynch got down to around the [1-yard line] and we put our goal-line defense in probably around the same time they were sending in their multiple receiver group, which was kind of what we wanted to be in there, make sure they didn’t run the ball in, which I’d like to think had they run the ball against our goal line defense with three receivers on the field, we couldn’t ask for more than that in terms of stopping the running game. We saw that matchup.

Did Carroll really think NE was going to match their 3 wr set with a nickel package and allow Lynch to run against a weakened box? Have to wonder if an older QB then Wilson would have checked into a different play. With that much girth on the field it would have been a perfect situation for him to run some kind of rollout and scramble in.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Did Carroll really think NE was going to match their 3 wr set with a nickel package and allow Lynch to run against a weakened box? Have to wonder if an older QB then Wilson would have checked into a different play. With that much girth on the field it would have been a perfect situation for him to run some kind of rollout and scramble in.
    You don't know. But by making NE choose how to defend, you give yourself an advantage over them. Yes, it means that your favorite option gets taken away.

But they had a huge edge for a pass. Man to man across the board. They just choose to run the play Butler knew how to blow up.

I think this has been posted elsewhere, but the video points out that Pete was going to run with 3 WR, New England wasn't buying it and was happy to take that off the table.

Also seems to lay waste claim made yesterday that New England didn't adjust to the 3 WR. Video shows Butler was late substitution to counter 3 WR. But it was still a goalline defense, but with 3 DBs and one less LB.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-on-gamewinner

I'm not claiming that the alignment that New England showed wasn't their goal line run defense...'only' it looks thin to me.

This has already been posted:

Before that final 2nd and goal and attempted pick play. DB Malcolm Butler was on the Patriot sideline. He wasn't going to be used as a defender.

When it was observed that Seattle had three WR's in their huddle. Malcolm Butler was sent into defend on Settle's RHS along with and set up behind CB Brandon Browner who was assigned to cover Seattle WR Jermaine Kearse. Malcolm Butler had to cover Ricardo Lockette. The plan was for Browner to force Seattle's Kearse back and into the path of any Seattle slant play with Ricardo Lockette as the target.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    If the Pats were going to let them score, then you would have seen the DL come off the ball with a very lethargic rush. Watch the DL on the INT, they fire off the ball. They weren't letting them score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7rPIg7ZNQ8
    Nope, I'm not convinced.

The Seachickens OL didn't drive off the ball to run block. If they had, you may have seen the Pats DL relax. Instead, the Seattle OL dropped back to pass block. Therefore, it is reasonable that the Pats DL would drive off the ball to disrupt Wilson's pass and contain him so he would throw the ball and not run with it, given they were trying to force an interception.

If Wilson had not thrown the ball, but rather tucked it and run, you may have seen the Pats defense relax. The Pats were playing for an interception.

As far as the run alignment goes, if the Pats wanted to force a pass and an interception, wouldn't you expect them to show a run defense to bait Wilson into throwing?

Moreover, I still haven't found anyone who will honestly say they expected the Pats to win the game by seriously mounting a goal line defense. As has been mentioned, the Pats defense was weak all season in goal line defenses. Certainly, Belichick knew this about his own defense.

Of course, we will never know for sure whether Belichick was employing the let-them-score strategy unless he or one of his players fesses up. But don't hold your breath.

The truth and reality of the situation would have been obvious to all of us if Carroll had less time left on the clock. If there were only time for one play, it would have turned into an Ice Bowl situation where the intentions of both teams were obvious.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...out-play-call/

Pete Carroll realizes Seahawks aren’t on the same page about play call

Posted by Mike Florio on February 5, 2015, 8:13 AM EST

" .... Carroll isn’t looking for closure, at least not within himself.

“These don’t go away,” Carroll said. “These occurrences, they don’t leave. These occurrences have stayed with me over the years in a manner that they fuel me.... I don’t really even want to lose those. I don’t want to wash them out and ignore them. I just want them to be in a place where they’re gonna help me be right.” ..."

" ... So how will he be right with his players moving forward? “By getting to the truth, by getting there, talking about it, facing it up,” Carroll said. “Everybody’s cleared their minds. When you finally gather and you’re ready to take that next step, we’re gonna go places that are extraordinary.”

Asked if there’s a story of redemption planned for the Seahawks, Carroll smiled and said, “It’s well underway.” ..."

This tweet from smartfootball this morning was too good:

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 1h1 hour ago
    Exclusive footage of Darrell Bevell deciding on the final playcall in the Super Bowl

Pete Damilatis ‏@PFF_Pete 57m57 minutes ago
    @smartfootball Ha, I thought of the same analogy. Never go in against Bill Belichick when death is on the line.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

In the dieing seconds and just before the fatal 2nd and goal play... resulting in a Russell Wilson pass and pick (by New England's DB Malcolm Butler; on what was supposed to be a pick (by WR Jermaine Kearse on CB Brandon Browner) and slant pass to Seattle WR Ricardo Lockette.

Tom Brady was hanging his head on the bench and he turned to his left and said to a coach. "The 'D' has to make a play".

Also.....

A new England coach see's 3 WR's in the Seattle huddle and waves DB Malcolm Butler onto the field.

The best case scenario ... 'a Seattle turn over'; and New England played for just that. Pat's CB Brandon Browner drove WR Jermain Kearse into WR Ricardo Lockette, to retard his slant just enough, that the Pat's Malcolm Butler could move forward and to the ball and make that pick.

Russel Wilson's pass wasn't terrible. Even as the defense went his pass wasn't too far out in front of Lockette.

Seattle runs that play scores of times and it's almost a perfect gurantee but not on this day.

The real hero's share on that play was Pat's CB Brandon Browner and his strength move on Jermaine Kearse. . . . to interrupt the route.

That's what Bill Belichick needed and he saw it happen. That's the Belichick brilliance.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-06-2015 at 06:46 PM.

http://www.totalpackers.com/2015/02/...ht-pick-funny/

Marshawn Lynch Thought that Pick was Funny

Comment woodbuck27:

There's so much more than Marshawn Lynch reaction and attitude. There's a lot here about match ups and execution on both sides of the ball.

'The Pick' that locked up the Super Bowl for the New England Patriots. So much of what went on before and just after that play is right here.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...is-hearts-gone

Sherman after second Brady pick: 'His heart's gone'

By Conor Orr ... Around The NFL Writer

Published: Feb. 4, 2015 at 07:16 a.m. ... Updated: Feb. 4, 2015 at 02:32 p.m.

" Tom Brady, after throwing the go-ahead touchdown: "D's gotta make a play. Gotta intercept one."
    from Article

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-..._video_soundfx

At 3:20 Tom Brady says : " The 'D's' gotta make a play."

He doesn't add: Gotta intercept one.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...go-to-good-use

Seahawks championship merch will go to good use

By: Dan Hanzus ... Around the NFL Writer

Published: Feb. 6, 2015 at 04:09 p.m. ... Updated: Feb. 6, 2015 at 04:43 p.m.

Comment woodbuck27:

Pepe to Paulo:

I ain't shitin' yaa ! Those Seahawks made back to back Super Bowls.

I've got the T-Shirt to prove it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...n-for-one-play

Malcolm Butler: I don't want to be known for one play

By; Kevin Patra ...Around the NFL writer

Published: Feb. 7, 2015 at 10:20 a.m. ...Updated: Feb. 7, 2015 at 10:41 a.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...is-hearts-gone

Sherman after second Brady pick: 'His heart's gone'

By Conor Orr ... Around The NFL Writer

Published: Feb. 4, 2015 at 07:16 a.m. ... Updated: Feb. 4, 2015 at 02:32 p.m.

" Tom Brady, after throwing the go-ahead touchdown: "D's gotta make a play. Gotta intercept one."
    from Article

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-..._video_soundfx

At 3:20 Tom Brady says : " The 'D's' gotta make a play."

He doesn't add: Gotta intercept one.
    check that....

In fact I just got the whole sound bite and Tom Brady does say;

"D's gotta make a play. (pause) Gotta intercept one."

Quote Originally Posted by Harbaugh and Tim Kawakami
    -Q: Do you run the ball at the end there or do you throw it?

-HARBAUGH: You know, I really thought they had a good play called. That was an insightful play against a goal-line defense, and a really neat combination that they had–with an inside pick play. It really was open.

And that young man from the New England Patriots made a play–I mean, that is a play that the stars of the game don’t make. He made a play that was… at best that ball gets knocked down and incomplete. But to make an interception on that play… what a phenomenal play. That was the play of a lifetime.

And all credit to him for making it.
    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakam...ierarchy-left/

Its me and Harbaugh versus the rest of the world.

Blog Entries

I'm onboard too. Although, is that Jim or John? I might want to change my mind. My analysis depends upon who shares my opinion - and the benefit of hindsight of course.

JH sums up the play to seal the deal in the Super Bowl very well.

I agree that DB Malcolm Butler made a play for the ages. That play will be seen over and over again.

I'm glad I read that interview.

Jim Harbaugh is an interesting fella with obviously decent core values.

Maybe Vince will agree!?